1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Screen goes black when front facing camera is covered

This just started happening today while I was using Skype, but now it won't stop. Everytime I accidentally cover the front facing camera, my phone screen goes black then as soon as its uncovered, the screen comes back. It seems like covering the camera is making the phone act like I pressed the screen lock button.
    I searched the forums and didn't find anyone else having this problem. Any suggestions?

Default Re: Screen goes black when front facing camera is covered

Welcome to Android Central! It sounds like a proximity sensor issue--usually, it makes the screen turn off while on a regular voice call and the phone is up against your ear, to prevent your ear from pressing any onscreen buttons. When you pull the phone away from your ear, the proximity sensor registers this and turns the screen back on. The proximity sensor is usually right next to the front camera.

It may be a Skype glitch--perhaps the proximity sensor was activated with the Skype call, and then didn't turn off. I suggest rebooting and seeing if it persists. Alternatively, you could force close Skype to see if it was holding the proximity sensor hostage, as it were. To force close, go to Settings>Apps, select Skype, and tap Force Stop.
    Thanked by:

no, it is 'smart screen.' your phone literally wants to make eye contact with you. I have found this is overridden by a plugged-in external speaker, which I find necessaru anyway due to the poor speaker quality.

its the front facing camera sensor.
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

I have both smart screen and smart video turned off. I've never had a problem with speaker quality. Mine plays very very loud.
    I restarted my phone and the problem stopped.