LG Optimus G Pro E988 - Kitkat update ... available

SKDroid1234

May 26, 2014
Visit site
So after a lot of waiting I finally got the kitkat update for my LG G Pro E988. Rather than using the OTA I connected the phone to my PC and fired up the LGMobile Support Tool. It indicated an upgrade was available. I proceeded with the update. Update size was around 1.7GB. LG software version is now E98820b.
I had rooted the phone earlier and as expected lost root after update.
Yet to discover all the new softwares. But general UI feel and performance is excellent. I noticed there is a new LG Smartworld app with which several goodies like home themes, keyboard themes and apps can be downloaded similar to Samsung's.

I will play around with it and update the thread if I have any findings. Meanwhile anyone else on this update already? Any thoughts?

Sent from my N550JV using Tapatalk

David Brainum

Mar 8, 2014
Visit site
I tried using the LGMobile Support tool but it said "Your device has the latest software available from the LG Mobile Support Tool" It showed my software version as E98010P. What did I do wrong?

SKDroid1234

May 26, 2014
Visit site
Funny I did not run into the issues you guys have.
David, you seem to have e980 which is the ATT model. Maybe you need to wait until ATT starts pushing it.

Sent from my X9006 using Tapatalk

SKDroid1234

May 26, 2014
Visit site
Douglas, Can you try and do a factory reset and check if that helps. Use the lg backup tool to save your apps and settings before you rest.

SKDroid1234

May 26, 2014
Visit site
Hello,

I have to upgrade through download recovery option? Pls advise

Hi sarf1946,
not sure what download recovery option is. Do you have specific instructions that say you need to use this option? Is your phone rooted? If yes then OTA may not work. Try after removing root.
Did you use the LG PC tool. Once it downloads the update, the tool automatically boots the phone and puts it in download more. This is the option you would use if you would update the phone via a kdz file. Look around in the XDA forums and there is a link for the KDZ file with the kitkat update for LG e988.

David Brainum

Mar 8, 2014
Visit site
Will AT&T push if I am on Net10 for cell service? I believe AT&T started pushing the OTA on the 21st. Does the LG Mobile Support Tool only work for other G Pro models?

David Brainum

Mar 8, 2014
Visit site
I waited for the OTA push. It took awhile while it said it was downloading new software. I then got the notification that there was new software to install. I started the install and a bit later it said the phone needed to be restarted. When the phone restarted it went into TWRP. It will not boot into the system. It will not flash any ROMS. I was unsuccessful with the flash tool and LG mobile support tool won't communicate with the phone since I cannot get it into USB mode. Please Advise.

SKDroid1234

May 26, 2014
Visit site
Hi David, like i indicated in my earlier post OTA update would fail on rooted phones. You should have used the pc update tool. Anyway all is not lost. Hope you have a backup. You can look around on xda for the ATT kdz. Load that which would effectively remove root. Then try the OTA update or the pc update tool.

David Brainum

Mar 8, 2014
Visit site
Funny I did not run into the issues you guys have.
David, you seem to have e980 which is the ATT model. Maybe you need to wait until ATT starts pushing it.

This was the last message I had from you before the OTA push. I do have a backup. The issue I am having is the backup was done with CMW but the phone will only boot into TWRP. When I try to flash any roms it fails.

SKDroid1234

May 26, 2014
Visit site
Your best bet then is to load the original jb rom, root it and install CWM recovery. Get your stuff from backup and then try the upgrade from pc. I had root when i upgraded nine and it went through fine. You can find the ATT rom kdz on xda forums. Let me know if you have issues finding the kdz. I may have the link bookmarked on my pc.

David Brainum

Mar 8, 2014
Visit site
Your best bet then is to load the original jb rom, root it and install CWM recovery. Get your stuff from backup and then try the upgrade from pc. I had root when i upgraded nine and it went through fine. You can find the ATT rom kdz on xda forums. Let me know if you have issues finding the kdz. I may have the link bookmarked on my pc.

I apologize but I am a half noob. I know just enough to get myself in trouble, as is apparent to me now. How do I load the "jb rom" and is that the "ATT rom kdz" you were referring to?

SKDroid1234

May 26, 2014
Visit site
Hi David,
You can look for links here http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2438088 to download the kdz file for your phone. And go here for the tutorial to load the kdz file and return phone to stock http://www.cellrabta.pk/2013/10/how-to-flash-big-kdz-files-optimus-g-gk-g-pro-g2-and-others/.
One particular step says "Connect your LG phone in S/W download mode to any USB 2.0 port on your PC and let Windows install the drivers.". If you do not know how to do this google around. You may have to do the following steps:
1. Shutdown phone if it is not already shutdown in previous steps.
2. Connect phone to PC via USB
3. Hold down Volume - and Power to put the phone in download mode.

Hope this helps.

David Brainum

Mar 8, 2014
Visit site
Hi David,
You can look for links here [Stock] LG G Pro Stock Firmware .KDZ files (All version) - xda-developers to download the kdz file for your phone. And go here for the tutorial to load the kdz file and return phone to stock How to: Flash big KDZ files – LG Optimus G, GK, G Pro, G2 and Others – Cell Rabta.
One particular step says "Connect your LG phone in S/W download mode to any USB 2.0 port on your PC and let Windows install the drivers.". If you do not know how to do this google around. You may have to do the following steps:
1. Shutdown phone if it is not already shutdown in previous steps.
2. Connect phone to PC via USB
3. Hold down Volume - and Power to put the phone in download mode.

Hope this helps.

It seems all the files are KDZ except the US ATT E980 which is .zip and .TOT when extracted. I can't sem to find an E890 KDZ file.

David Brainum

Mar 8, 2014
Visit site
The LG Mobile support tool is not connecting with the phone. The option to install drivers is available but when I try to do that, my phone model is not shown in the drop down menu.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alastair