Anyone Still Using Their OG Pro, battery ever improve?

PAC757

Trusted Member
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
Hello, I haven't used my OG Pro since about a month after the 4.4.2 update, I use to love this phone but after the update I couldn't use it due to the terrible battery life. I just broke my other phone yesterday and had to start using my Optimus G Pro again, I'm averaging 6 - 8 hours and its down to 10%, this is why I stopped using it in the first place, I was hoping that LG or AT&T would have put out an update by now to fix this. Before the update I would average 17 - 18 hours a day with about 4 - 5 hours screen on time. I bought this phone less than a year ago and it is a good phone, I just can't live with this kind of battery life I don't work inside and use my phone for work, can't do that with this phone. Has anyone found a solution to the crappy battery life?

Posted via Android Central App

hawkwind212

May 19, 2013
Visit site
I'm getting about 2-3 hours continues use, and 6-8 hours with light use. Right now I'm running the latest CM11 nightly. Most of LG-E980 owners I talk to seem to think this is normal. Compare to other phone with the similar spec such as Samsung note 3 or lg - g3, LGE980's battery life is not that bad. This is the price we're paying for the hd display and the quad core processor. Google claims that nexus 6 with lollipop can go about 5-6 hours continuous use because the battery improvement in the lollipop. I don't believe it until people actually use it and come up with the real proof. Right now I'm using the two battery system, where one battery always on the charger. If I didn't care about the bulkyness of using the 9300mah battery, that would had been my solution, it can actually let LG-E980 run about 6-8 hours with continuous use.

Sent from my LG-E980 using Tapatalk

PAC757

Trusted Member
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
That's what I'm talking about, this phone before the update was great in respect to battery life, I never had to even be concerned about how I used the phone or even think about the battery level. I don't think it ever once didn't make it through a whole day without having at least 20% left at night. Would charge it over night and never even looked at the battery level before the night time. Now it's usually dying by 2 pm. This is definitely related to the 4.4.2 Kitkat update.

John Loesch

Oct 3, 2013
Visit site
I'm still happy with the battery life on mine. I'm not a 'power user' (using the OEM battery), and charge it as needed. I am pretty sure I have semi-french fried the battery (noticed decreased battery life before the 4.4.2 update) and it gets me through a day of moderate use; I work at my local Home Depot and use the HD app to look up things for our customers as I am not near a PC most of the time. Charge it at night if I'm below 20% and I am all set for the next day.

I installed a non-OEM 4200mAh battery when it came in on Thursday 11/6 and topped it off (came at about 60%) and just had to plug it in to charge (not on airplane mode so I can allow a slower charge). I'll try and come back here to update.

PAC757

Trusted Member
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
I'm still happy with the battery life on mine. I'm not a 'power user' (using the OEM battery), and charge it as needed. I am pretty sure I have semi-french fried the battery (noticed decreased battery life before the 4.4.2 update) and it gets me through a day of moderate use; I work at my local Home Depot and use the HD app to look up things for our customers as I am not near a PC most of the time. Charge it at night if I'm below 20% and I am all set for the next day.

I installed a non-OEM 4200mAh battery when it came in on Thursday 11/6 and topped it off (came at about 60%) and just had to plug it in to charge (not on airplane mode so I can allow a slower charge). I'll try and come back here to update.

Hello, if you don't mind, where did you find the 4200 mah battery? Also, mine seems to have improved some over the last day or so, I think some of the problem was I couldn't find the LG OEM charger that came with the phone and used one of my high output (5volt / 4 amp) charger, I believe this caused some problems. I charged it over night with the OEM charger and cable and yesterday using the phone as always, it lasted 12.5 hours and was at 30% after that. A lot better than the previous 2 days.

John Loesch

Oct 3, 2013
Visit site
eBay. It is, as I said, a Hong Kong non-OEM battery and does NOT come with the CE and other assorted certifications, so you MUST be careful to not overcharge, etc. or you risk setting your phone on fire. I almost did that with a non-OEM 3950mAh battery (also on eBay, red outer jacketing). I went on a charging spree with it one day and on my way to work, my pocket got really warm REALLY FAST. The battery continued to get warmer after it was removed. It was properly disposed of.

As of 9 AM this morning (24 hours after being unplugged) the battery was at 27 percent. I will try a 'quick' charge (airplane mode) at about 1030 to see how that goes. I used it for about 20 minutes of Google Play music yesterday (took it to 90%) and used it throughout the day yesterday to check email, Facebook, and the HD app.

John Loesch

Oct 3, 2013
Visit site
So here's an update:

I am NOT impressed with the 4200mAH battery so far. I don't know if it needs to be worked in a little more, as I am not seeing any noticeable improvement. I left the phone on overnight and it only dropped from 19% to 13% over 8 hours. The battery hog on my phone (according to the Battery Manager) is the screen, it usually is using 40 - 50 % of the battery at any given time. I have enabled auto-dimming and also tried just leaving it be at around 35% (as a suggested workaround seen elsewhere here or on XDA) and it STILL occupies that much battery power. Not much one can do about that, you sort of need the screen to do things.

And, I am using the OEM charger so it isn't an issue with that near as I can tell. I might try charging it overnight tonight and see how we do. I started at 90% this morning before work and am currently at 9%.

More to come......

hawkwind212

May 19, 2013
Visit site
The only other battery that's better than the lg oem is the batteries by zerolemon. Either their standard size or their 9300 mha are all quality battery. I'm currently using the zerlemon standard size that comes with a battery cradle charger. And this is how I get through the day, keep on switching between the oem and the zerolemon. Lg Opg doesn't seem to be charging while the screen is on, no matter how long it's plugged in. The cradle charger charges the battery a little over 2 hours.

Sent from my LG-E980