Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 27
Like Tree5Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

    Default Optimus G vs. Optimus Nexus

    Was wondering which you all would prefer if the only difference was vanilla JB vs. LG's overlay with ICS...

    Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2
  2. #2  

    Default Re: Optimus G vs. Optimus Nexus

    I don't think a single person would want ICS with the LG skin except maybe the mother of the guy who designed the skin. And maybe not even her.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

    Default Re: Optimus G vs. Optimus Nexus

    Quote Originally Posted by Cobravision View Post
    I don't think a single person would want ICS with the LG skin except maybe the mother of the guy who designed the skin. And maybe not even her.
    Lol!

    Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2
  4. #4  

    Default Re: Optimus G vs. Optimus Nexus

    I prefer having stock ICS or Jelly Bean rather then that touchwiz and sense crap but I don't mind LG UI its pretty nice if you ask me but it'd be way better if it were Stock Jelly Bean

    Sent from my LG-VM670 using Android Central Forums
  5. #5  
    mzanette's Avatar
    Zee

    Posts
    654 Posts
    Global Posts
    655 Global Posts

    Default Re: Optimus G vs. Optimus Nexus

    So given that the "LG Nexus 4" is based off the Optimus G, how hard would it be once the two phones are out to replace the Optimus G rom with the stock Jelly Bean rom from the Nexus? I suppose we'll have to wait and see but theoretically speaking it shouldn't be that difficult to get the JB Nexus rom working on an Optimus G would it?
  6. #6  
    thebizz's Avatar
    phone addict

    Posts
    3,579 Posts
    Global Posts
    3,731 Global Posts
    ROM
    mean

    Default Re: Optimus G vs. Optimus Nexus

    Who knows it all depends on how much was changed between the two devices I would hope that its an easy port, But that's not a given. and I would take the optimus g over the nexus in a heart beat all because of the storage. 16gigs is not enough for a modern device. I love cloud storage but prefer to keep some things local
    Loving this Oneplus one!!
  7. #7  
    mzanette's Avatar
    Zee

    Posts
    654 Posts
    Global Posts
    655 Global Posts

    Default Re: Optimus G vs. Optimus Nexus

    Quote Originally Posted by thebizz View Post
    Who knows it all depends on how much was changed between the two devices I would hope that its an easy port, But that's not a given. and I would take the optimus g over the nexus in a heart beat all because of the storage. 16gigs is not enough for a modern device. I love cloud storage but prefer to keep some things local
    That's my thought process exactly. If stock Nexus JB can be ported to run on the Optimus G I'd take that over the Nexus version for the storage (not to mention that the Optimus G will be offered with LTE connectivity in Canada)
  8. #8  

    Default Re: Optimus G vs. Optimus Nexus

    There's actually one reason to get the LG version over the Nexus stock. The camera will be worse with AOSP and won't have the custom shooting modes like panorama and photo during video. Even if they have the same exact camera module.
  9. #9  

    Default Re: Optimus G vs. Optimus Nexus

    Quote Originally Posted by Cobravision View Post
    There's actually one reason to get the LG version over the Nexus stock. The camera will be worse with AOSP and won't have the custom shooting modes like panorama and photo during video. Even if they have the same exact camera module.
    Galaxy Nexus has those features, why wouldn't the next one.

    Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Xparent SkyBlue Tapatalk 2
  10. #10  

    Default Re: Optimus G vs. Optimus Nexus

    I'll have to check out my co-worker's GNex. My JB tablet doesn't have any of those features and I didn't see them on her GNex.
  11. #11  
    thebizz's Avatar
    phone addict

    Posts
    3,579 Posts
    Global Posts
    3,731 Global Posts
    ROM
    mean

    Default Re: Optimus G vs. Optimus Nexus

    Yes aosp how has those features but I'm not torn even though stock android is great, I love some of the additions added by manufactures like the extra gestures and some of the other things. Stock android is a little bare ( but rightfully so). I guess the main thing is whether you are fine with waiting for updates and if you want a huge dev group. I Can wait as long as I know that I'm getting a full featured device. While others prefer the stock look and feel while knowing that they will be first up for updates. As long as this has an unlocked bootloader and I can load cm or aokp on this ill be fine
    Loving this Oneplus one!!
  12. #12  
    cw0974's Avatar

    Posts
    54 Posts
    Global Posts
    228 Global Posts

    Default Re: Optimus G vs. Optimus Nexus

    I personally like AOSP in general. Quick updates, no bloat, clean android.
  13. #13  
    thebizz's Avatar
    phone addict

    Posts
    3,579 Posts
    Global Posts
    3,731 Global Posts
    ROM
    mean

    Default Re: Optimus G vs. Optimus Nexus

    I love aosp but if this device has the same specs as the nex but with more than 16 gigs of non expandable memory give me the optimus I had over 8 gigs of nandroid backups alone not to count movies and pictures the nexus would be full far to fast in my opinion. But if this isn't rootable I dont want it I love some of the things added but I love aosp more. It's light fast with very few major flaws
    Loving this Oneplus one!!
  14. #14  
    dmmarck's Avatar
    Retired Moderator

    Posts
    10,928 Posts
    Global Posts
    10,930 Global Posts
    ROM
    What do you think?

    Default Re: Optimus G vs. Optimus Nexus

    Quote Originally Posted by mzanette View Post
    So given that the "LG Nexus 4" is based off the Optimus G, how hard would it be once the two phones are out to replace the Optimus G rom with the stock Jelly Bean rom from the Nexus? I suppose we'll have to wait and see but theoretically speaking it shouldn't be that difficult to get the JB Nexus rom working on an Optimus G would it?
    It'd probably have to still be ported.

    And for the question, Nexus.
  15. #15  

    Default Re: Optimus G vs. Optimus Nexus

    Personally I prefer the Optimus G despite the skin. I have never liked the physical style of the Nexus phone and it sounds like the LG Nexus will follow and it also sounds like it will be a bit thicker which I do not care for. I don't like the LG skin but it does not bather me.
  16. #16  

    Default Re: Optimus G vs. Optimus Nexus

    I don't really like stock android. I Like some of the cool things that lg's Ui can do. Stuff you have to add from the play store to do on a stock android phone. Bloat has never bothered me.

    Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2
  17. #17  
    blaze5's Avatar

    Posts
    396 Posts
    Global Posts
    399 Global Posts

    Default Re: Optimus G vs. Optimus Nexus

    This phone is going go be Locked so rooting might be hard to accomplish

    Sent from my PC36100 using Android Central Forums
  18. #18  
    dmmarck's Avatar
    Retired Moderator

    Posts
    10,928 Posts
    Global Posts
    10,930 Global Posts
    ROM
    What do you think?

    Default Re: Optimus G vs. Optimus Nexus

    Quote Originally Posted by blaze5 View Post
    This phone is going go be Locked so rooting might be hard to accomplish

    Sent from my PC36100 using Android Central Forums
    I think I've already seen reports of rooting..
  19. #19  
    blaze5's Avatar

    Posts
    396 Posts
    Global Posts
    399 Global Posts

    Default Re: Optimus G vs. Optimus Nexus

    Yea but the bootloader is locked so its not as simple that's what I meant to say

    Sent from my PC36100 using Android Central Forums
  20. #20  
    TauSigmaNova's Avatar
    Domo Arigato, Mr Roboto!

    Posts
    320 Posts
    ROM
    Nexus5Experience2.1.1 LTE

    Default Re: Optimus G vs. Optimus Nexus

    Nexus def, the updates and the Opt G has locked bootloader (maybe secured)
    DEVICES:
    LG Nexus 4 [E-960] Android 4.4.4 CM11S [Soon Retired]
    OnePlus One [Coming Soon]
    Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 [RIP]
    LG Optimus V [RIP]
  21. #21  
    bacalao's Avatar

    Posts
    23 Posts
    Global Posts
    48 Global Posts

    Default Re: Optimus G vs. Optimus Nexus

    Any custom ROMs or Play store apps that mimic or feature the split screen/same screen multi-tasking of the Optimus G or the SIII & Note2? That sort of feature and expandable memory are the only thing that give me pause about buying the next Nexus right away.
  22. #22  
    TenshiNo's Avatar

    Posts
    185 Posts
    Global Posts
    213 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock (Rooted) Jelly Bean

    Default Re: Optimus G vs. Optimus Nexus

    Quote Originally Posted by blaze5 View Post
    This phone is going go be Locked so rooting might be hard to accomplish

    Sent from my PC36100 using Android Central Forums
    There is a big difference between a "locked" boot loader and an "encrypted" boot loader. *EVERY* phone that gets released has a "locked" boot loader, event the Nexus phones. The only difference is the Nexus devices give you a simple way to unlock it. The Optimus G has already been rooted by AC's own Jerry Hildenbrand:

    How to root the Sprint G Optimus G (Windows only)
  23. #23  
    Shinkenred's Avatar

    Posts
    304 Posts
    ROM
    CM9-Oxygen

    Default Re: Optimus G vs. Optimus Nexus

    Hmmm. So despite being a relative of the Optimus line, the Nexus 4 will be every bit as stuck at a non-expandable 16GB as the Galaxy Nexus. Guess I'll hope the N4 ROM can be ported to the Optimus G. (And the N4, like the G-Nex, will likely be a small mint from Google.) Otherwise...I choose to...BELIEVE IN NEXUS.

    http://m.youtube.com/?client=mv-google&rdm=mcetap36w (Sorry...couldn't resist...)

    Purple CM10 Power...make-up!!
  24. #24  
    ens04's Avatar

    Posts
    206 Posts
    Global Posts
    222 Global Posts
    ROM
    TheKraven's CM&

    Default Re: Optimus G vs. Optimus Nexus

    I would like to know why there is so much talk about the Nexus 4 and not enough talk about the LG Optimus G in the web.
    I personally don't see why everybody is so hyped about the Nexus. The LG Optimus G is superior in almost every way. Except for not having v4.2 jelly bean and wireless charging. The LG Optimus G has more to offer LTE and 32 GB. Im sure there is more but I think of any more.
    Can someone please tell me why everybody is looking forward to the Nexus instead of the LG Optimus G?
  25. #25  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ens04 View Post
    I would like to know why there is so much talk about the Nexus 4 and not enough talk about the LG Optimus G in the web.
    I personally don't see why everybody is so hyped about the Nexus. The LG Optimus G is superior in almost every way. Except for not having v4.2 jelly bean and wireless charging. The LG Optimus G has more to offer LTE and 32 GB. Im sure there is more but I think of any more.
    Can someone please tell me why everybody is looking forward to the Nexus instead of the LG Optimus G?
    For me it is the price of $350 for the phone, and I do not have to be tied to carrier any more. The other things are just a bonus.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Optimus Prime vs Nexus Prime
    By kilofoxtrot in forum Google / Samsung Galaxy Nexus
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 10-18-2011, 09:08 PM
  2. Dimensions: Optimus V vs. Optimus S
    By michaelglasscook in forum Virgin Mobile Optimus V
    Replies: 32
    Last Post: 06-10-2011, 02:30 AM
  3. Nexus S vs Optimus 2X
    By zaersx in forum General Help and How To
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-09-2011, 11:10 AM
  4. Optimus Touchscreen vs Dare Touchscreen
    By seebee72 in forum LG Optimus S
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 01-01-2011, 01:21 AM
  5. Optimus S vs. (insert phone)
    By Equ1n0x in forum LG Optimus S
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 11-18-2010, 11:26 AM

Posting Permissions