Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Optimus G vs. Optimus Nexus

Was wondering which you all would prefer if the only difference was vanilla JB vs. LG's overlay with ICS...

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

Default Re: Optimus G vs. Optimus Nexus

I don't think a single person would want ICS with the LG skin except maybe the mother of the guy who designed the skin. And maybe not even her.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Quote Originally Posted by Cobravision View Post
    I don't think a single person would want ICS with the LG skin except maybe the mother of the guy who designed the skin. And maybe not even her.
    Lol!

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

I prefer having stock ICS or Jelly Bean rather then that touchwiz and sense crap but I don't mind LG UI its pretty nice if you ask me but it'd be way better if it were Stock Jelly Bean

Sent from my LG-VM670 using Android Central Forums
    Zee

Global Posts
    655 Global Posts

So given that the "LG Nexus 4" is based off the Optimus G, how hard would it be once the two phones are out to replace the Optimus G rom with the stock Jelly Bean rom from the Nexus? I suppose we'll have to wait and see but theoretically speaking it shouldn't be that difficult to get the JB Nexus rom working on an Optimus G would it?
    phone addict

Global Posts
    3,731 Global Posts
    ROM
    mean

Who knows it all depends on how much was changed between the two devices I would hope that its an easy port, But that's not a given. and I would take the optimus g over the nexus in a heart beat all because of the storage. 16gigs is not enough for a modern device. I love cloud storage but prefer to keep some things local
    Loving this Oneplus one!!
    Zee

Global Posts
    655 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by thebizz View Post
    Who knows it all depends on how much was changed between the two devices I would hope that its an easy port, But that's not a given. and I would take the optimus g over the nexus in a heart beat all because of the storage. 16gigs is not enough for a modern device. I love cloud storage but prefer to keep some things local
    That's my thought process exactly. If stock Nexus JB can be ported to run on the Optimus G I'd take that over the Nexus version for the storage (not to mention that the Optimus G will be offered with LTE connectivity in Canada)

There's actually one reason to get the LG version over the Nexus stock. The camera will be worse with AOSP and won't have the custom shooting modes like panorama and photo during video. Even if they have the same exact camera module.

Quote Originally Posted by Cobravision View Post
    There's actually one reason to get the LG version over the Nexus stock. The camera will be worse with AOSP and won't have the custom shooting modes like panorama and photo during video. Even if they have the same exact camera module.
    Galaxy Nexus has those features, why wouldn't the next one.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Xparent SkyBlue Tapatalk 2

I'll have to check out my co-worker's GNex. My JB tablet doesn't have any of those features and I didn't see them on her GNex.
    phone addict

Global Posts
    3,731 Global Posts
    ROM
    mean

Yes aosp how has those features but I'm not torn even though stock android is great, I love some of the additions added by manufactures like the extra gestures and some of the other things. Stock android is a little bare ( but rightfully so). I guess the main thing is whether you are fine with waiting for updates and if you want a huge dev group. I Can wait as long as I know that I'm getting a full featured device. While others prefer the stock look and feel while knowing that they will be first up for updates. As long as this has an unlocked bootloader and I can load cm or aokp on this ill be fine

Global Posts
    228 Global Posts

I personally like AOSP in general. Quick updates, no bloat, clean android.
    phone addict

Global Posts
    3,731 Global Posts
    ROM
    mean

I love aosp but if this device has the same specs as the nex but with more than 16 gigs of non expandable memory give me the optimus I had over 8 gigs of nandroid backups alone not to count movies and pictures the nexus would be full far to fast in my opinion. But if this isn't rootable I dont want it I love some of the things added but I love aosp more. It's light fast with very few major flaws
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    10,930 Global Posts
    ROM
    What do you think?

Quote Originally Posted by mzanette View Post
    So given that the "LG Nexus 4" is based off the Optimus G, how hard would it be once the two phones are out to replace the Optimus G rom with the stock Jelly Bean rom from the Nexus? I suppose we'll have to wait and see but theoretically speaking it shouldn't be that difficult to get the JB Nexus rom working on an Optimus G would it?
    It'd probably have to still be ported.

And for the question, Nexus.

Personally I prefer the Optimus G despite the skin. I have never liked the physical style of the Nexus phone and it sounds like the LG Nexus will follow and it also sounds like it will be a bit thicker which I do not care for. I don't like the LG skin but it does not bather me.

I don't really like stock android. I Like some of the cool things that lg's Ui can do. Stuff you have to add from the play store to do on a stock android phone. Bloat has never bothered me.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

Global Posts
    399 Global Posts

This phone is going go be Locked so rooting might be hard to accomplish

Sent from my PC36100 using Android Central Forums
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    10,930 Global Posts
    ROM
    What do you think?

Quote Originally Posted by blaze5 View Post

I think I've already seen reports of rooting..

Global Posts
    399 Global Posts

Yea but the bootloader is locked so its not as simple that's what I meant to say

Domo Arigato, Mr Roboto!

ROM
    Nexus5Experience2.1.1 LTE

Nexus def, the updates and the Opt G has locked bootloader (maybe secured)
    DEVICES:
    LG Nexus 4 [E-960] Android 4.4.4 CM11S [Soon Retired]
    OnePlus One [Coming Soon]
    Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 [RIP]
    LG Optimus V [RIP]

Global Posts
    48 Global Posts

Any custom ROMs or Play store apps that mimic or feature the split screen/same screen multi-tasking of the Optimus G or the SIII & Note2? That sort of feature and expandable memory are the only thing that give me pause about buying the next Nexus right away.

Global Posts
    213 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock (Rooted) Jelly Bean

Quote Originally Posted by blaze5 View Post

There is a big difference between a "locked" boot loader and an "encrypted" boot loader. *EVERY* phone that gets released has a "locked" boot loader, event the Nexus phones. The only difference is the Nexus devices give you a simple way to unlock it. The Optimus G has already been rooted by AC's own Jerry Hildenbrand:

How to root the Sprint G Optimus G (Windows only)

ROM
    CM9-Oxygen

Hmmm. So despite being a relative of the Optimus line, the Nexus 4 will be every bit as stuck at a non-expandable 16GB as the Galaxy Nexus. Guess I'll hope the N4 ROM can be ported to the Optimus G. (And the N4, like the G-Nex, will likely be a small mint from Google.) Otherwise...I choose to...BELIEVE IN NEXUS.

http://m.youtube.com/?client=mv-google&rdm=mcetap36w (Sorry...couldn't resist...)

Purple CM10 Power...make-up!!

Global Posts
    222 Global Posts
    ROM
    TheKraven's CM&

I would like to know why there is so much talk about the Nexus 4 and not enough talk about the LG Optimus G in the web.
    I personally don't see why everybody is so hyped about the Nexus. The LG Optimus G is superior in almost every way. Except for not having v4.2 jelly bean and wireless charging. The LG Optimus G has more to offer LTE and 32 GB. Im sure there is more but I think of any more.
    Can someone please tell me why everybody is looking forward to the Nexus instead of the LG Optimus G?

Quote Originally Posted by ens04 View Post
    I would like to know why there is so much talk about the Nexus 4 and not enough talk about the LG Optimus G in the web.
    I personally don't see why everybody is so hyped about the Nexus. The LG Optimus G is superior in almost every way. Except for not having v4.2 jelly bean and wireless charging. The LG Optimus G has more to offer LTE and 32 GB. Im sure there is more but I think of any more.
    Can someone please tell me why everybody is looking forward to the Nexus instead of the LG Optimus G?
    For me it is the price of $350 for the phone, and I do not have to be tied to carrier any more. The other things are just a bonus.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast