CNET Review A Deal-Breaker?

DirkBelig

May 17, 2010
Visit site
I was seriously interested in the Optimus G on AT&T - I'm sick of Sprint's crap network, so I'm bailing ASAFP - but this review really gives me pause:

The good: AT&T's LG Optimus G has Qualcomm's lightning-quick quad-core processor, supports 4G LTE, and has a gorgeous display.

The bad: The Optimus G's camera has a harsh flash and some of its photos fell flat, it has a short battery life, and its speaker audio quality was tinny.

The bottom line: With its speedy internals, LTE data speeds, and stunning screen, the LG Optimus G is one of the phone-maker's best handsets so far, but it can't escape its weak battery and camera.

As a photographer, a bad camera is problematic, but bad battery life, especially when you can't swap in another one is instafail. I'm looking for forward to more reviews.

MangoPowah

Aug 6, 2012
Visit site
IMO the best way to determine whether a phone is worthy to be purchased or not is by using it yourself. Just my 2 cents :)

Sent from my HTC One X

spacecasespiff

Jan 23, 2010
Visit site
I'm liking what I've seen. I'm really thinking about this over the one x+ . The 2gb of ram over the 1gb of ram on the one x+ is great. The screen is where I'm at. I've had the one x for about a month then went to the sg3, but I miss that screen. I think the screen is going to be a bit better with this phone . 1280?768 and 318ppi is better then the 1280?720 with 312ppi. Might not be able to tell side by side. Just waiting on the off contract price on both. We well see

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

DirkBelig

May 17, 2010
Visit site
The Verge's review:

Good Stuff:
• Great IPS display
• Thin, elegant design
• Very fast processor

Bad Stuff:
• Too many extra AT&T apps
• Difficult to learn software
• Finicky camera

The Optimus G is the first time in recent memory that LG has managed to legitimately get a flagship Android smartphone on US carriers. Part of the reason for that is that the Optimus G hits all the right notes: a fast quad-core processor, LTE, excellent screen, and above-average build quality. LG has finally managed to put all those pieces together into an excellent hardware package with a modicum of design flair.

Taken as a whole, the Optimus G doesn't quite match the overall consistency that Samsung or HTC have brought to the table. That's primarily due to some software foibles that would be forgivable on a lesser phone, but feel out of place in the upper echelons. If you're experienced enough with Android to work around the software hassles, you'll find the Optimus G to be a fast and fluid smartphone.

Which leads me to the elephant in the room: those rumors that the next Nexus device will be based on this phone. Every gadget needs to be judged on its own merits, but I'm imagining a world where Google helps LG refine the hardware and the software is stock Android — and it seems lovely.

AT&T had LG make significant changes to the Optimus G, both from a hardware and a software perspective. The hardware is generally better: I prefer the 8-megapixel camera and appreciate the access to the Micro SIM and microSD card slots. However, AT&T's interventions on the software side are as maddening as ever. The AT&T version of the Optimus G will be available on November 2nd for $199.99 on-contract.

This is the first time I've seen a release date and since I'm waiting for the expected Amazon Penny Sale to make the move, it will allow for some time to see more reviews and actual user reports. It's too bad they won't be slapping pure Jellybean on this can calling it the Nexus G.

SamOliver

Feb 20, 2011
Visit site
If this is the base for the next nexus, then this is very bad news. Battery life and camera quality were the only 2 major drawbacks of the Galaxy Nexus and I was hoping to see a nexus device that improved upon these areas.

LegacyEvoAce

May 29, 2012
Visit site
Cnet is just one site and not even a good one at that.
LG claims lead in battery lifespan
The battery on the Optimus G is just fine. If you are amongst the few people that likes to walk around with a spare battery then obviously you should be looking to get a Samsung product and not LG/HTC/Apple/hell pretty much everyone else. Most companys seem to be going the way of non-removable except for Samsung.

DirkBelig

May 17, 2010
Visit site
Gizmodo's review: A Speedster That Gets In Its Own Way.

Should You Buy It?

Not yet. This is an excellent phone; in fact, I'd choose it over a Galaxy S III. But! It's looking like the Optimus G may get even better in a matter of weeks. Rumors are churning that this'll be the template for the next Nexus phone, which means you'd get all the benefits of LG's great hardware, but with the much cleaner, faster, better stock Android 4.1 (or 4.2, possibly?) software. As long as it doesn't lose any features (like LTE, for example), that would be a very potent combination.

We should know more in a couple of weeks. In the meantime, file this as a very possible "maybe" for your next phone, pending how the rest of the month shakes out. AT&T's version will be available November 2nd, and Sprint's will be available on November 11th.

ImGreen

Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
One can always wait and there will always be something better. I'm going to just jump in as soon I can with the Sprint version. I don't mind messing with the camera to get a good shot and this could be improved with better software later so I'm not worried about the camera.

DirkBelig

May 17, 2010
Visit site
There is no software fix for a poor sensor or lens. The problem with the megapixel wars is that more =/= better. 8 quiet, sharp MPs are better than 13 fuzzy, noisy ones.

slywalk

Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
Stopped taking Cnet Srsly. Anything that isn't an apple product is never good enough for them.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Xparent Cyan Tapatalk 2

DirkBelig

May 17, 2010
Visit site
Stopped taking Cnet Srsly. Anything that isn't an apple product is never good enough for them.
You're thinking of Gizmodo and you're a troll. Buzz off.

* CNET article reporting a study that the GS3 had a better display the the iPhone 5.
* CNET's GS3 review which had to stretch to find things to complain about.
* CNET's qualified rave for the HOX.
* CNET's Razer Maxx HD review dinging it for bad camera and Verizon bloatware which seems to the be the consensus about Moto phones.

Yeah, they just hate everything without an apple on the back. :-\

DirkBelig

May 17, 2010
Visit site
Looks like the word that the bootloader will be locked is even more of a deal-killer than any review would be. Way to fail, LG.

jsntrenkler

Trusted Member
Apr 6, 2011
Visit site
I was thinking about holding out for the nexus 4 but couldn't wait so I picked the optimus G up this morning. So far I am very pleased.

Sent from my LG-E970 using Tapatalk 2

spacecasespiff

Jan 23, 2010
Visit site
I was thinking about holding out for the nexus 4 but couldn't wait so I picked the optimus G up this morning. So far I am very pleased.

That's cool. I love mine. A lot of people rant happy that it's all locked down. I don't care about that stuff but just a heads up.

blitz118

Apr 22, 2010
Visit site

Is there a notification light on the front of the phone?

How loud is the external speaker volume?

Is there anything you don't like about the phone?

j_grouchy

Apr 5, 2011
Visit site

Interested in the Optimus G....IF:

- ...battery life will get me through a day ("day" defined as 'from the time I leave for work until the time I go to bed') of frequent use (not counting video, music, navigation and other battery-sucking uses)
- ...there is reasonable expectation of at least two Android OS upgrades (Jelly Bean and Key Lime Pie)...even if they might take a while to get sent out OTA.

jsntrenkler

Trusted Member
Apr 6, 2011
Visit site
So far this handset has been really solid. It's performance has been great and battery life has been reasonable. I would recccomend this device to friends and family. I love the screen, particularly when out in the sun. It just works awesome!

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alastair