Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    1,438 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Default CNET Review A Deal-Breaker?

I was seriously interested in the Optimus G on AT&T - I'm sick of Sprint's crap network, so I'm bailing ASAFP - but this review really gives me pause:

The good: AT&T's LG Optimus G has Qualcomm's lightning-quick quad-core processor, supports 4G LTE, and has a gorgeous display.

The bad: The Optimus G's camera has a harsh flash and some of its photos fell flat, it has a short battery life, and its speaker audio quality was tinny.

The bottom line: With its speedy internals, LTE data speeds, and stunning screen, the LG Optimus G is one of the phone-maker's best handsets so far, but it can't escape its weak battery and camera.

As a photographer, a bad camera is problematic, but bad battery life, especially when you can't swap in another one is instafail. I'm looking for forward to more reviews.
    "The OnePlus One is such a big black slab of power that if you dropped it down in the middle of a pack of monkeys, they'd start using weapons." - Dirk Belligerent.
    Devices: 64GB OnePlus One, 32GB Nexus 5, 16GB Nexus 7 (2013), 16GB Nexus 4, ASUS Transformer TF101, Kindle Fire, HP TouchPad (CM7)

Default Re: CNET Review A Deal-Breaker?

If you want a quad core phone with a good camera then you should look into the HTC One X+.
    lilkim429 likes this.

IMO the best way to determine whether a phone is worthy to be purchased or not is by using it yourself. Just my 2 cents

Sent from my HTC One X
    lilkim429 likes this.

I'm liking what I've seen. I'm really thinking about this over the one x+ . The 2gb of ram over the 1gb of ram on the one x+ is great. The screen is where I'm at. I've had the one x for about a month then went to the sg3, but I miss that screen. I think the screen is going to be a bit better with this phone . 1280768 and 318ppi is better then the 1280720 with 312ppi. Might not be able to tell side by side. Just waiting on the off contract price on both. We well see

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Global Posts
    1,438 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

The Verge's review:

Good Stuff:
    • Great IPS display
    • Thin, elegant design
    • Very fast processor

Bad Stuff:
    • Too many extra AT&T apps
    • Difficult to learn software
    • Finicky camera

The Optimus G is the first time in recent memory that LG has managed to legitimately get a flagship Android smartphone on US carriers. Part of the reason for that is that the Optimus G hits all the right notes: a fast quad-core processor, LTE, excellent screen, and above-average build quality. LG has finally managed to put all those pieces together into an excellent hardware package with a modicum of design flair.

Taken as a whole, the Optimus G doesn't quite match the overall consistency that Samsung or HTC have brought to the table. That's primarily due to some software foibles that would be forgivable on a lesser phone, but feel out of place in the upper echelons. If you're experienced enough with Android to work around the software hassles, you'll find the Optimus G to be a fast and fluid smartphone.

Which leads me to the elephant in the room: those rumors that the next Nexus device will be based on this phone. Every gadget needs to be judged on its own merits, but I'm imagining a world where Google helps LG refine the hardware and the software is stock Android — and it seems lovely.

AT&T had LG make significant changes to the Optimus G, both from a hardware and a software perspective. The hardware is generally better: I prefer the 8-megapixel camera and appreciate the access to the Micro SIM and microSD card slots. However, AT&T's interventions on the software side are as maddening as ever. The AT&T version of the Optimus G will be available on November 2nd for $199.99 on-contract.

This is the first time I've seen a release date and since I'm waiting for the expected Amazon Penny Sale to make the move, it will allow for some time to see more reviews and actual user reports. It's too bad they won't be slapping pure Jellybean on this can calling it the Nexus G.
    "The OnePlus One is such a big black slab of power that if you dropped it down in the middle of a pack of monkeys, they'd start using weapons." - Dirk Belligerent.
    Devices: 64GB OnePlus One, 32GB Nexus 5, 16GB Nexus 7 (2013), 16GB Nexus 4, ASUS Transformer TF101, Kindle Fire, HP TouchPad (CM7)

If this is the base for the next nexus, then this is very bad news. Battery life and camera quality were the only 2 major drawbacks of the Galaxy Nexus and I was hoping to see a nexus device that improved upon these areas.

Cnet is just one site and not even a good one at that.
    LG claims lead in battery lifespan
    The battery on the Optimus G is just fine. If you are amongst the few people that likes to walk around with a spare battery then obviously you should be looking to get a Samsung product and not LG/HTC/Apple/hell pretty much everyone else. Most companys seem to be going the way of non-removable except for Samsung.
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

Global Posts
    1,438 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by LegacyEvoAce View Post
    Cnet is just one site and not even a good one at that.
    Stopped reading right there.
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  

Global Posts
    1,438 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Gizmodo's review: A Speedster That Gets In Its Own Way.

Should You Buy It?

Not yet. This is an excellent phone; in fact, I'd choose it over a Galaxy S3. But! It's looking like the Optimus G may get even better in a matter of weeks. Rumors are churning that this'll be the template for the next Nexus phone, which means you'd get all the benefits of LG's great hardware, but with the much cleaner, faster, better stock Android 4.1 (or 4.2, possibly?) software. As long as it doesn't lose any features (like LTE, for example), that would be a very potent combination.

We should know more in a couple of weeks. In the meantime, file this as a very possible "maybe" for your next phone, pending how the rest of the month shakes out. AT&T's version will be available November 2nd, and Sprint's will be available on November 11th.

One can always wait and there will always be something better. I'm going to just jump in as soon I can with the Sprint version. I don't mind messing with the camera to get a good shot and this could be improved with better software later so I'm not worried about the camera.
  11. Thread Author  Thread Author    #11  

Global Posts
    1,438 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

There is no software fix for a poor sensor or lens. The problem with the megapixel wars is that more =/= better. 8 quiet, sharp MPs are better than 13 fuzzy, noisy ones.

Global Posts
    86 Global Posts

Stopped taking Cnet Srsly. Anything that isn't an apple product is never good enough for them.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Xparent Cyan Tapatalk 2
  13. Thread Author  Thread Author    #13  

Global Posts
    1,438 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by slywalk View Post
    Stopped taking Cnet Srsly. Anything that isn't an apple product is never good enough for them.
    You're thinking of Gizmodo and you're a troll. Buzz off.

* CNET article reporting a study that the GS3 had a better display the the iPhone 5.
    * CNET's GS3 review which had to stretch to find things to complain about.
    * CNET's qualified rave for the HOX.
    * CNET's Razer Maxx HD review dinging it for bad camera and Verizon bloatware which seems to the be the consensus about Moto phones.

Yeah, they just hate everything without an apple on the back.
  14. Thread Author  Thread Author    #14  

Global Posts
    1,438 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Looks like the word that the bootloader will be locked is even more of a deal-killer than any review would be. Way to fail, LG.

Not for me. I don't care if its locked. Not going to root anyway.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

Global Posts
    3,643 Global Posts
    ROM
    unNamed v2.2.1

I was thinking about holding out for the nexus 4 but couldn't wait so I picked the optimus G up this morning. So far I am very pleased.

Sent from my LG-E970 using Tapatalk 2

Quote Originally Posted by jsntrenkler View Post
    I was thinking about holding out for the nexus 4 but couldn't wait so I picked the optimus G up this morning. So far I am very pleased.

That's cool. I love mine. A lot of people rant happy that it's all locked down. I don't care about that stuff but just a heads up.

Is there a notification light on the front of the phone?

How loud is the external speaker volume?

Is there anything you don't like about the phone?

Interested in the Optimus G....IF:

- ...battery life will get me through a day ("day" defined as 'from the time I leave for work until the time I go to bed') of frequent use (not counting video, music, navigation and other battery-sucking uses)
    - ...there is reasonable expectation of at least two Android OS upgrades (Jelly Bean and Key Lime Pie)...even if they might take a while to get sent out OTA.

Global Posts
    3,643 Global Posts
    ROM
    unNamed v2.2.1

So far this handset has been really solid. It's performance has been great and battery life has been reasonable. I would recccomend this device to friends and family. I love the screen, particularly when out in the sun. It just works awesome!

phone addict

Global Posts
    3,731 Global Posts
    ROM
    mean

Hopefully I will pick up the sprint variant on Sunday. And as far as reviews I may read them but unless horrible they won't stop me from buying a phone. Check out the device at a store take some pictures tool around the home screens and see if the device fits your needs. I will personally be selling the sgs3 for this phone and its because of the screen. In direct sunlight its almost unusable. As far as the camera goes I think it mainly comes down to software. And if what I read is true that this is a Sony sensor then I'm pretty sure it's software
    Loving this Oneplus one!!

So far this handset has been really solid. It's performance has been great and battery life has been reasonable. I would recccomend this device to friends and family. I love the screen, particularly when out in the sun. It just works awesome!

JS,

Do you or anyone else know where you can buy the sprint variant straight off contract what will have a descent price. My contract expires in May and honestly not sure if want to renew it by getting this phone.

E

...battery life has been reasonable.
    Can you explain the parameters of "reasonable"? What do you use it for mostly? How much? How far into the day will it last with frequent (but not high intensity) use?

Quote Originally Posted by eblackman View Post
    JS,

Do you or anyone else know where you can buy the sprint variant straight off contract what will have a descent price. My contract expires in May and honestly not sure if want to renew it by getting this phone.

E
    I know you weren't asking ask me but I just thought I'd look at WireFly... note a great price but its 589.99 right now pre-order with no contract.
    LG Optimus G for Sprint - Wirefly.com

Global Posts
    86 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by DirkBelig View Post
    You're thinking of Gizmodo and you're a troll. Buzz off.

* CNET article reporting a study that the GS3 had a better display the the iPhone 5.
    * CNET's GS3 review which had to stretch to find things to complain about.
    * CNET's qualified rave for the HOX.
    * CNET's Razer Maxx HD review dinging it for bad camera and Verizon bloatware which seems to the be the consensus about Moto phones.

Yeah, they just hate everything without an apple on the back.
    Watch any prizefight or read any comparison... and i'm nt trying to troll, but because you can find 4 articles among the last 3 years of news that i've been reading that prove your point doesn't say much to me...and yes Gizmodo isn't exactly the most unbiased place in the world either.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast