Bootloader

thebizz

phone addict
Nov 8, 2009
Visit site
What's the likely hood of the sprint variant of this device being released with an unlocked bootloader. I've read that LG has locked the bootloader on all their devices running ics. This is my make it or break it factor between this and the note 2

Pre-dawn raid

Sep 25, 2010
Visit site
I'm interested in this as I'm sure a lot of Android fans are. At this point it's all speculation as there is no way to say for sure. Pretty simple for me: unlocked bootloader= go; locked bootloader =no go.

Sent from my NookColor using Android Central Forums

thebizz

phone addict
Nov 8, 2009
Visit site
Well lg sent me a reply saying it's locked so ill wait and see if it can be unlocked since it's already been rooted

TenshiNo

Aug 2, 2010
Visit site
I think you guys are getting confused on terms here. *Every* phone (even the Nexus phones) have a "locked" boot loader. Most phones can be unlocked. Aka: S-Off.

The problem comes in when the phone has an "encrypted" boot loader. That poses significantly more problem, since it requires a decryption key to allow the firmware to be altered. Just because the Optimus G's boot loader is "locked" doesn't mean it can't be unlocked and rooted. And, sometimes, even phones with an encrypted boot loader get lucky.

chevro1et

Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
I think you guys are getting confused on terms here. *Every* phone (even the Nexus phones) have a "locked" boot loader. Most phones can be unlocked. Aka: S-Off.

The problem comes in when the phone has an "encrypted" boot loader. That poses significantly more problem, since it requires a decryption key to allow the firmware to be altered. Just because the Optimus G's boot loader is "locked" doesn't mean it can't be unlocked and rooted. And, sometimes, even phones with an encrypted boot loader get lucky.
Makes perfect sense to me. Hopefully we get lucky with this one.

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site

Well said. Thanks :).

Shinkenred

Mar 3, 2012
Visit site
Hmmm. In that case, I think I'll wait for awhile. I wonder why LG's suddenly started locking the bootloaders. Are they trying to prevent hacking or something?

thebizz

phone addict
Nov 8, 2009
Visit site
I understand most devices are released with locked bootloaders. After the droid 3 ( worst mistake of my life) I kniw exactly what the encrypted bootloader can do. But when samsung the biggest android oem releases just about every phone with an unlocked bootloader. It makes it hard to look at an HTC or lg device even if a solution is released.

jhasty

Oct 24, 2010
Visit site
Until someone with knowledge of unlocking the bootloader gets a chance at it, this question is still unanswered.

If it turns out it can be unlocked, then it will be my next phone.

spacecasespiff

Jan 23, 2010
Visit site
Over a xda they are very close to unlocking the att version. They have everything they need they are making sure they can get it back if they brick it. I looks good.

Sent from my LG-E970 using Tapatalk 2

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fancyfranci