How to root the Sprint G Optimus G (Windows only)

Jerry Hildenbrand

Space Cowboy
Staff member
Oct 11, 2009
Visit site
ROOT.jpg

AWWWW YEAH.

The Optimus G from Sprint is rooted the same way as the Korean (not the unlocked or AT&T version) version is. Google translate, persistence, and the belief that I could talk Phil into paying for this one if I broke it have paid off.

You'll need the a Windows computer (tested on 7 ultimate 64-bit), a USB cable, the LG Android driver, and the attached file. The file comes from the Vietnamese site Di, and is based on the ICS and Jelly Bean adb restore exploit from Bin4ry. I have no idea if the original exploit from Bin4ry was modified, so I'm sticking with the Vietnamese version. Anyhoo, these folks deserve the credit and thanks, I'm just the idiot who tried an exploit written for a different phone and in a different language to see if it would work. I've attached it because it takes forever plus 3 more hours to download it from the Vietnamese site.

Here's what to do with it all.
  1. Install the LG driver. You're on your own with this one. Get it from LG
  2. Download and unRar the attached file to your desktop.
  3. On your phone, make sure USB debugging and allow unknown sources is checked.
  4. Plug the phone into your computer, and make sure that Windows see the device's adb connection correctly.
  5. Open the folder you extracted in step 2, and right click on the RootOptimusG.bat file. Choose Run as Administrator.
  6. You'll see this first -- "Nhan "y" neu ban muon root, nhan "n" de thoat:" type the letter y, then enter.
  7. Next you'll see some English and some Vietnamese text. When you see "Press any key to continue..." press any key.
  8. You'll see it say "Nhan chon "Restore my data" tren man hinh dien thoai!" then wait for input. Look at your phone, tap the button that says "Restore my data".
  9. The phone will reboot twice, be rooted, and ready for fun. To exit the DOS routine just press another key.

What you do next is up to you :)

Attachments

• RootOptimusG.rar
    2.1 MB · Views: 1,801

JSchoey

Dec 2, 2010
Visit site
Agreed. I think this really sways me towards the Optimus G as well. Especially since Sprint probably won't be getting the new Nexus or at least not for awhile.

7starmarc

May 22, 2011
Visit site
Wow. If this holds true, then LG Optimus G might be for me as well. Never tried an LG phone before, so am a little nervous on that front. Still have to handle the Note 2 later this week once they get them in stores to rule that one out.

Pre-dawn raid

Sep 25, 2010
Visit site
This is great to see...Thanks a ton Jerry! My question is: What is the difference between being rooted and having an unlocked bootloader? If the bootloader never gets unlocked, could we never see custom roms/kernels for the OG?

hw234

Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
This is great to see...Thanks a ton Jerry! My question is: What is the difference between being rooted and having an unlocked bootloader? If the bootloader never gets unlocked, could we never see custom roms/kernels for the OG?

I think you are correct, but I'm not 100%

justdoit2

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
coming from "treocentral" first post in Android.
I read the review, was wondering if rooted can the camera be "better" (ie fix) ? or is this just due to cheap 13 MP camera?

ens04

Jan 31, 2011
Visit site
Just got this phone minutes ago and I rooted but Sprint is asking for an update (which is sure to kill root). How can stop Sprint from the annoying update.
I do not want to loose root

Last edited:

Ryan Domrese

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
Attempted root again and this time it went flawless. For some reason running it in admin mode caused error, when I ran it with out run as admin it worked and now device isn't sluggish and I can use Titanium backup. Thanks a bunch!

JMeterX

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
Plan on rooting tonight, my last phone was rooted for the 2 1/2 years that I owned it (Evo4g) I forgot just how many apps I was using that required root. Does anyone know when the next update comes out (if it ever does) if we will need to unroot to receive it? If so, what is the process of unrooting for this device?

tommymsw

Jun 23, 2011
Visit site
Just got mine a few hours ago... I can also confirm this works. When I ran as "administrator" I got a "unable to find find path" error (or something like that), so I also had to run it NOT as admin... I too am getting the "update" from Sprint, as soon as it is known will somebody post if this ruins the root, or how to get rid of the update nag?

Ryan Domrese

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
Run the update and if it kicks out root then just re-run the root. I got mine last week at a special event and updated it on the 11th, and rooted it last night sucessfully. Currently rooted on build ZV8.IMM76L.

tommymsw

Jun 23, 2011
Visit site
My update is labeled zv8_emr1_inc I'm nervous to try because I use my phone primarily for internet access for my tablet... Didn't see a reason to get two accounts when I never use data on my phone and never talk on my tablet! lol

tommymsw

Jun 23, 2011
Visit site
The update in my previous post did end up updating me to ZV8.IMM76L. It did unroot me, but I just rooted the same way again... root still worked. I did get caught in a boot loop after, but a manual restart (holding down power button) got it working again!