Having trouble deciding whether or not to get this phone or GS3

megamaster5

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
Hey guys,

I have an employee discount and am in the Advantage Club. I have the HTC Evo 4G LTE, but I kept having software UI problems with it. Sense was heavily slowing down my phone. So I told them I wanted to cancel because it had not been 14 days and they said I can get a new phone without paying the restock fee. I'm torn between this phone and the GS3. A lot of reviews say that the GS3 still edges out and it has tons of accessory support while the Optimus G. However, I did fall in love with the Optimus G when I heard about it and felt the phone at Best Buy the other day. It's so fast. The GS3 is amazing too, but nowhere near as smooth.

The only problem is that if I decide on the Optimus G, I have to wait till Advantage Club members are allowed to purchase them. I also have to pay $200 for either of them. And unfortunately, I'll need to use a really old device until I can buy the Optimus G should I go that route. Getting the GS3 is kind of getting out easy in my opinion, but it is a solid phone but at the same time, it's already 6 months old. I dunno. Thoughts?

Thanks!

megamaster5

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
Yeah, I'm closely watching it too. Overall, it's really awesome. I have time. At least until after Thanksgiving weekend. I just wanna know how everyone's liking it. I also want to futureproof my purchase and now that I get to buy a new phone, buying a 5 month old phone to have for 2 years seems silly. Despite how amazing it is.

hw234

Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
This phone is pretty amazing. Blazing fast, beautiful screen, good battery life (better than my E4GT and EVO4G so far.) Stock UI isn't bad either. I'm on Sprint. I've yet to run the phone all day with a low display brightness, it looks too nice when it's bright, plus I was outside most of the day yesterday. Looking forward to seeing the battery life with brightness lowered. I really wanted to hold out for an exynos 5/Mali T-604 beast, but my GS2 E4GT screen was cracked, and I couldn't take it any longer (it was a temp phone anyways.) I don't regret the purchase one bit. Any questions, feel free to ask.

ColonelTravis

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
buying a 5 month old phone to have for 2 years seems silly. Despite how amazing it is.

Sometimes I say this and sometimes I say - you know, that's kinda dumb. (Not saying you're dumb because I think the exact thing.) The S3 is a great phone, period. I would buy it in a heartbeat except for a few things - the screen is too blue, the colors are too unnatural, not a fan of how the case looks or feels. Keep in mind that all those things are subjective. Obviously a lot of people aren't thrown off by any of that.

I like finagling around with Android phones but the screen is what I'm looking at all the time and if the screen isn't making you happy then you're never gonna be happy. As far as functionality, the S3 is going to last you two years just fine. It won't be the latest/greatest because it isn't that right now. But geez, I've been using a LG Optimus S for two years and it absolutely sucks compared to what's out there now but since I don't use what's out there now, the S is all I know. Gee, my app drawer screen doesn't scroll butter smooth on the S. Frankly, I don't gave a s***. I mean, it's nice to have wonderful scrolling and all the other new stuff is definitely cool and I don't want to go backwards, but it's not like I'm dying here without it. It's easy to get caught up in the hype is all I'm saying, and once I have a phone I don't really pay attention to potential replacements because I'm on a two-year plan with Sprint and because I use so much data I'm not switching to another carrier, even though Sprint sucks as a carrier but I know what I'm getting into with that.

Anyway, Best Buy has the G on sale for $99 today. If I like it in person as much as I do on YouTube I'm gonna get it.

megamaster5

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
I appreciate the insight everyone. Turns out, I'll have about 30 days to make my decision so if the Optimus G becomes available, I'll get it. If not, I will get the GS3. I know either will be fine for me :)

Nguyenning

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
Literally just picked up the Optimus G for $350 off someone on Craigslist. So far, I'm really liking it. Very quick and snappy...

I have my GS3 as well but will play around with both for a week or 2 before deciding which one to sell

j_grouchy

Apr 5, 2011
Visit site
I'm pretty much certain I'm going to take advantage of Friday's $50 deal on the GS3. I like the design of the Optimus G better (the black, the absence of a physical button, the materials...), but the price is just too good and the support and great selection of accessories all helped clinch it.

I gotta say I'm very disappointed in how little attention the O-G gets, even from Sprint store personnel. First, the display is a joke. There is a working phone, but it's at a counter with other devices and portable speakers, so you don't even realize the phone is unique. There is no signage whatsoever except for one tiny little label in 12 point font with the name and price. No marketing AT ALL in the Sprint store. Maybe they have something planned to move this device for the holidays...but I haven't seen ANYTHING outside of the tech blogs. It's a joke. In fact, the rep in the store who told me about the $50 deal said she had not sold a single Optimus G yet...and it had been out for a whole week. Is LG not pissed? Shouldn't Sprint be taking the lead on marketing this phone? Actually...I haven't seen any press from AT&T either...

If they had some special deal on this device, some marketing, some evidence of support...I'd likely jump on it. As it is, I don't want to get screwed and I see it less likely that I will with the SGS3.

megamaster5

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
Yeah that is really strange. Amazon is selling it for $99 which makes it definitely worth it though. I don't why they aren't moving it. That, and the Note 2 are their best phones right now.

JSchoey

Dec 2, 2010
Visit site
Best Buy has the LG Optimus G for $99 as well. I made the mistake of pre-ordering from Sprint at $200. Was able to get a $50 credit by going through customer support though today.

ColonelTravis

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
I gotta say I'm very disappointed in how little attention the O-G gets, even from Sprint store personnel. First, the display is a joke. There is a working phone, but it's at a counter with other devices and portable speakers, so you don't even realize the phone is unique. There is no signage whatsoever except for one tiny little label in 12 point font with the name and price. No marketing AT ALL in the Sprint store. Maybe they have something planned to move this device for the holidays...but I haven't seen ANYTHING outside of the tech blogs. It's a joke. In fact, the rep in the store who told me about the $50 deal said she had not sold a single Optimus G yet...and it had been out for a whole week. Is LG not pissed? Shouldn't Sprint be taking the lead on marketing this phone? Actually...I haven't seen any press from AT&T either...

So true, my wife and I noticed this yesterday at the Sprint store. In fact, I didn't think they had it. Wasn't even labeled, it's just sitting there with a bunch of speaker crap like you said. The Sprint guy who talked with us got the phone the day it came out, took it out of his pocket and said, "This is the best phone we have in here." He didn't include the Note 2, which is very nice but I can't classify that as a phone unless you're a 6-foot-8 NFL lineman.

Nguyenning

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
I've had this phone (Sprint version) for a full day now (switched from my Galaxy S3), and it is NOTICEABLY quicker and faster. Everything is instant, I'm very impressed.

Battery seems to be on par with the GS3, but I'll need more time to truly tell. Camera is solid IMO, but I'm not a photographer and don't care too much for all the little details.... I honestly don't notice anything wrong with the camera, knock on wood.

Flewelle

May 27, 2011
Visit site
Great Phone

I just upgraded to the LG Optimus G from the EVO 4G and Im pretty impressed build wise and specs wise. Obviously big jump from EVO, but very fast, battery is good so far, and the version of Android that is used is not bad but I am used to JB on my Nexus 7.Hopefully this gets updated soon, and development support picks up. So far no complaints and this phone is a sleeper on Sprint.

dwaynewilliams#WN

Feb 17, 2010
Visit site
Hey guys,

I have an employee discount and am in the Advantage Club. I have the HTC Evo 4G LTE, but I kept having software UI problems with it. Sense was heavily slowing down my phone. So I told them I wanted to cancel because it had not been 14 days and they said I can get a new phone without paying the restock fee. I'm torn between this phone and the GS3. A lot of reviews say that the GS3 still edges out and it has tons of accessory support while the Optimus G. However, I did fall in love with the Optimus G when I heard about it and felt the phone at Best Buy the other day. It's so fast. The GS3 is amazing too, but nowhere near as smooth.

The only problem is that if I decide on the Optimus G, I have to wait till Advantage Club members are allowed to purchase them. I also have to pay $200 for either of them. And unfortunately, I'll need to use a really old device until I can buy the Optimus G should I go that route. Getting the GS3 is kind of getting out easy in my opinion, but it is a solid phone but at the same time, it's already 6 months old. I dunno. Thoughts?

Thanks!

I say get the phone that appeals to you when you play with them both. I wouldn't worry about how old the phone is. You are the one Who will have to use it for the next 2 years. Get something You will be happy with. To be honest, I think that the GS 3 Will be supported more and longer than the Optimus G.

from my Galaxy Note 2, baddest phone on the planet.

Kiserai

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
To be honest, I think that the GS 3 Will be supported more and longer than the Optimus G. .

I doubt that. This phone is basically the same as the Nexus 4, which will receive a ton of development. From what I'm hearing on XDA, there are some differences in the Kernel but it looks like just about everything that will come out for the Nexus 4 will be easily ported to this phone. I for one am excited to see what happens. Development on this phone may be off to a somewhat slow start, but it will definitely pick up, and soon.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Conrad Edmund