No wimax. Any way to fudge this?

tommymsw

Jun 23, 2011
Visit site
I had the Evo 3D and where I like I was getting 4g, after getting this new phone, I realized that what I thought was 4g, was really wimax! (no way to tell on the Evo). I know this is a long shot, but is there anyway to fudge getting the wimax to work on my new LG? I still have the Evo and it still connects to the wimax but I just don;t have service. The LG's 4g is weird, it doesn't say on or off and there is no way to search for 4g, so at first I didnl't know if it just was not on... but I guess it turns on auto. When I look at the 4g settings, I do see a ne "network provider" and an IP address, so this made me think maybe I had 4g...But the 3g symbol in my task bar and the SLOW speeds would lead me to believe different. If anybody has any ideas, that would be great! :)

JSchoey

Dec 2, 2010
Visit site
Wimax and the new 4G LTE are completely differents bands I believe and the OG only has a radio for the new LTE...not the older Wimax. Don't believe there is any way around this. If you live in an area with LTE, you'll see a 4G symbol at the top of the phone where the 3G symbol is currently if the phone detects an LTE signal.

droberts84

Feb 10, 2011
Visit site
LTE and WiMax are both 4G but different technologies using completely separate bands (ie incompatible). Sprint is in the process of moving their 4G network from WiMax to LTE, hence the more recent phones have LTE radios, while old phones like your EVO have WiMax. There are no devices that I know of which can use LTE and Wimax. Unfortunately you are stuck with 3G until Sprint rolls out LTE in your city, at which point you will see the 4G indicator.

tommymsw

Jun 23, 2011
Visit site
Thanks all, that is what I figured... But thought I should at least ask. I don't expect 4G anytime within a few years where I live! I wish I had realized this before I got the new phone. :(

ens04

Jan 31, 2011
Visit site
Why is it that my LG Optimus G has 4G here in Los Angeles even though LTE is not available here.

I get both 3G &4G (3G when 4g is not available), but no LTE. Still waiting on Sprint to update LTE in my city.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Robbyworkman1995