My impressions of the Optimus G (switched from the Galaxy S3)

Nguyenning

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
Okay, I've had the Optimus G (OG) for about a week now, and I can honestly say I enjoy it more than the GS3 I owned for a few months.

Hardware and build quality are A LOT better. I've already had a few comments from strangers when they see me playing with my phone (case-less for now, eek).. asking "hey what phone is that?" or "that looks sleek"
It feels more premium in your hand and the sleek black with a touch of chrome makes it look a lot better than the cheap plastic of the GS3 in my opinion. The front/bezel is purely black (and by this, I mean when the screen's off, the entire front is pure black) and for whatever reason, it just looks sexy with the rest of the black phone. Also, it feels better in your hand... like you're holding something of quality.

Software-wise, I'll be honest I didn't go default with either phone. I love Nova Prime launcher for the gestures. (I set up double tap screen for opening camera, swipe down to bring up navigation is clutch when driving, amongst other gestures). I can say though, I've used the quickmemo A LOT more than I thought I would. It's nice to just pull it up to scribble down a quick note... I mean that's the only kind of notes that I take on my cell phone anyway. Then, you can store it in your picture gallery or your notepad app. I haven't used Qslide at all... especially because it doesn't work on YouTube and I don't watch movies on my cell phone.

Speaking of software, you will definitely notice how faster, quicker, and instant everything is on the OG. It's a snappy phone. I never thought the GS3 had lag, but after using the OG, you definitely notice it. I've tried to slow/lag it down... opening up navigation, youtube videos, browser, texting, etc at once and everything is just fluid. VERY impressed with the quad core snap dragon.

The screen is noticeably more vibrant. I'm never too picky on screens though.

I really don't have any gripes on the phone itself. My only concern is the lack of exposure it has. Not many cases or accessories if you're into that and not really that much buzz... considering everything this phone has inside.
Having said that, it kind of makes me feel like I have something special in my hands with this phone. It makes it more unique and luxurious... if that makes sense.

As long as it gets software support, I am extremely happy with my decision so far. The GS3 is popular, will have great product support, and lots of people have it... so it has that sense of community (as Apple does). But all of that stuff really doesn't mean much to me in owning a phone besides the product support.

Wiley_11

May 10, 2011
Visit site
How's the screen in sunlight? Is the reception comparable to the S3 for GPS, Wifi, Voice, 3G, 4G ? Otterbox Commuter is coming *soon* and tpu-cases.com are available now if your interested.

megamaster5

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
Do you have AT&T or Sprint version? There's an otterbox available from Sprint's website and possibly your local store for 35. I don't know why it's not up on otterbox's site yet.

jbuggydroid

May 10, 2010
Visit site
Where did my posts go? I replied in this thread twice... weird

Edit: nevermind. Just noticed that this was also posted over at xda... got confused there for a second

Sent from my LG-LS970 using Android Central Forums

Nguyenning

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
Ha, yeah I posted this on the popular Optimus G forums because I know I would've loved a post like this before buying. For what it's worth, I found mine on Criagslist for $350... sick

I actually haven't used the phone much in sunlight at all. I'll make a point to do it tomorrow and report back. GPS has been great, I've used navigation plenty of times with no problems at all. Wifi is good, I use it in my home rather than Sprint's crappy 3G lol.

I love using this phone without a case because it's gorgeous... but if I do get one, I actually like my cases thin, so I'm probably gonna be picking one of these.
Amazon.com: For Sprint LG Optimus G LS970 Hard Cover Case Black: Cell Phones & Accessories

HHI Rubberized Shield Hard Case for LG Optimus G LS970 - Black

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kemberley1