AT&T Optimus G Jelly Bean

DNicolasL

Jun 11, 2010
Visit site
Is it possible for a developer to develop a Jelly Bean ROM before LG releases their source? I'm asking because a friend wants to buy this phone, but I have a hard time recommending it with Ice Cream Sandwich and LG's ugly skin.

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk 2

Little Darwin

Jun 11, 2011
Visit site
While you do mention a couple of possible weaknesses of the Optimus G, I think you might be doing a disservice to the person you are helping. The reason is that for someone who is seeking someone's advice, there probably isn't much in Jelly Bean that will make a significant difference to them in real life. Also, I think the interface is fine, and offers enough customization to make most people happy with the interface. Each interface imposed by a vendor has its own quirks to work with, but after a few days things become natural (unless a person is emotionally committed to a particular interface) so what you find as ugly may simply be a response because you aren't used to the paradigm.

I think that based on the release date of the Optimus G, it is a shame that it didn't ship with JB. But frankly, other than wanting the latest simply because it it the latest, I don't envision any significant differences (for my usage) when the underlying OS version gets updated. Sure, there will be improvements, but unless one obsesses about not having feature X, people can effectively get along just fine with any relatively modern phone OS.

For a phone with the display, processor and other specs of the Optimus G that is currently available for $99 on contract, the question should be easy to answer.

DNicolasL

Jun 11, 2010
Visit site
While you do mention a couple of possible weaknesses of the Optimus G, I think you might be doing a disservice to the person you are helping. The reason is that for someone who is seeking someone's advice, there probably isn't much in Jelly Bean that will make a significant difference to them in real life. Also, I think the interface is fine, and offers enough customization to make most people happy with the interface. Each interface imposed by a vendor has its own quirks to work with, but after a few days things become natural (unless a person is emotionally committed to a particular interface) so what you find as ugly may simply be a response because you aren't used to the paradigm.

I think that based on the release date of the Optimus G, it is a shame that it didn't ship with JB. But frankly, other than wanting the latest simply because it it the latest, I don't envision any significant differences (for my usage) when the underlying OS version gets updated. Sure, there will be improvements, but unless one obsesses about not having feature X, people can effectively get along just fine with any relatively modern phone OS.

For a phone with the display, processor and other specs of the Optimus G that is currently available for $99 on contract, the question should be easy to answer.

She uses Google Now on her Transformer Prime, so she won't be able to on her phone, where it is more useful.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

AndreaCristiano

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
She uses Google Now on her Transformer Prime, so she won't be able to on her phone, where it is more useful.

That's what I miss most from my sgs3 Google now and that's really what I want the most on the G yes I like the other features like the new notifications etc but Now is where its at

from my Nexus7 while my Optimus rests

Fatasaurus

Nov 8, 2009
Visit site
Thats exactly what I am looking for as well. Google Now is the only thing missing from this phone. Other than that I can make due until JellyBean officially comes out.

aldemdollabillz

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
There is a sweet mod from team nocturnal that adds Google now to ics for the Optimus g they released it at xda it also adds other various settings and mods to your phone you don't need to be rooted but you do need a custom recovery

AndreaCristiano

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
There is a sweet mod from team nocturnal that adds Google now to ics for the Optimus g they released it at xda it also adds other various settings and mods to your phone you don't need to be rooted but you do need a custom recovery

Its cool but it doesn't really work like full Google now its more so a hack

Sent from my Nexus 7

gomezl7

Jan 7, 2011
Visit site
It's something for now until they move along the slow development on Optimus G

Little Darwin

Jun 11, 2011
Visit site
Well jb has launched for the Korean model so hopefully we aren't too far behind

Good news. Thanks for sharing.

I just wish that cell phone companies and carriers were like most businesses and shared their schedules. Even something vague like "spring 2013" or "Q1 2013" would be better than leaving paying customers in the dark.

thebizz

phone addict
Nov 8, 2009
Visit site
It would be much better just a quarter to expect it would be good. But I understand why they don't with how updates work and unexpected delays like if the update doesn't pass qa you would end up making customers mad if you miss the projected date. But seeing the Korean model got jb when they said it would that gives me hope that we are only like two months behind

Willdogg78

May 15, 2012
Visit site
hey guys I messed up when trying to check for software update on AT&T optimus G, even though it has not been 24 hours since my last check I decided change the time on my phone and date to override the time restraint now it says I can't check for updates for 8000 hours is there anyway to reset

nokia4life

May 6, 2012
Visit site
hey guys I messed up when trying to check for software update on AT&T optimus G, even though it has not been 24 hours since my last check I decided change the time on my phone and date to override the time restraint now it says I can't check for updates for 8000 hours is there anyway to reset

Dude that's hilarious

Sent from my iPad mini using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pauloxcavalcante