'Unfortunately messaging has stopped'

mhinc

Dec 27, 2012
Visit site
If you ask me it's not the phone it's your provider! If you are getting errors sending texts it's the fact your carrier can't handle it.
Call them!

Larry Thomas

Dec 21, 2012
Visit site
If you ask me it's not the phone it's your provider! If you are getting errors sending texts it's the fact your carrier can't handle it.
Call them!

No the texts send and receive just fine. It's the text messaging android app that keeps force closing and not while sending texts. Happens while opening the program to begin typing a text. Has nothing to do with the provider.

RenoD2010

Mar 31, 2011
Visit site
I have the AT&T E970 variant (16GB internal, 8MP camera).

The only "....has stopped" error message I keep getting is when using Gmail and only when using the in-app back button to return to message list from within an open e-mail. I've only had my G for two weeks. I immediately updated to JB 4.1.2.

AT&T sales rep said people had issues with the update when it originally came out (month before I got my phone). I had a location data issue after updating (which took no time on this phone) but a factory reset fixed it. So far I've had only minor issues. The Gmail thing is annoying but I can use the capactive back button at the bottom of the display as a work around. In all other respects, the Gmail apps is slick and stable.

As for your SMS issue; I immediately went to Handcent. I'm a big dork and like to use Emojis which the stock SMS app does not support. Handcent is excellent and I have had no issues with it. Did you do a factory reset after updating to JB? Oh and if it has not already been suggested, use the paid version of Helium (formerly Carbon) to completely back up your phone's data and configuration before doing a factory reset. As fast as this phone is on downloads and installs, re-installing 216 apps was not fun.

I have been texting like a fiend since I got this phone (I am up to 1,616 in this billing cycle). My SMS never crashes or force closes. I'm wondering if my specific device was part of a later batch of devices less prone to the issues posted here. The only other thing I've done is disabled as much of the crapware from AT&T as I could to free up RAM. I am hoping for some stability patches from LG/Google just the same.

Last edited:

Larry Thomas

Dec 21, 2012
Visit site
Handcent is excellent and I have had no issues with it. Did you do a factory reset after updating to JB?

I use the Sprint version. Yes tried a factory reset. Didn't help. Also tried Handcent and wasn't happy with it. It worked fine at first but then I started to not get notification sounds for incoming messages. Tried to fix it but could not. So deleted it and went back to stock messaging app.

Mia_1189

Sep 9, 2013
Visit site
My messaging service is doing the same thing! :(

Seems like mostly when I am texting a lot in a row. It will also sometimes say one of the messages previously sent could not be delivered. Will not let it go through even when I tap the exclamation icon and attempt a resend, but I type it all back out again and it goes through.

What is going on!? I thought galaxy were suppose to be good phones but now I am thinking I should just return it and get an IPHONE. You never see Apple users having these types of problems... :/

- - - Updated - - -

My messaging service is doing the same thing! :(

Seems like mostly when I am texting a lot in a row. It will also sometimes say one of the messages previously sent could not be delivered. Will not let it go through even when I tap the exclamation icon and attempt a resend, but I type it all back out again and it goes through.

What is going on!? I thought galaxy were suppose to be good phones but now I am thinking I should just return it and get an IPHONE. You never see Apple users having these types of problems... :/

wordizbon

Feb 24, 2014
Visit site
Just my opinion. Many of the responses I am seeing is suggesting using alternative applications. From my technical experience, I don't think it's an application issue. If a few people are saying it happens with text, then it happens with facebook, then .... The issue is just jumping from application to application so the alternatives are only temporary. It has to do with the operating system of the device or the hardware itself. I'm leaning toward the OS. Some sort of bug or virus. This just started happening for me a couple of days ago and it seems to be getting worst. It happens on 3 different applications so I am hoping someone has a post about the bug and not an alternative application to use.

noobsc0uter

Mar 11, 2013
Visit site
i have the same problem. Its weird i don't get notifications for my wife's text but i do for everyone else. It says "unfortunately messenger has stopped working" i installed the "new" messenger get some notifications but not all. I have virgin mobile carrier and Kyocera Hydro Vibe as phone. Also i should mention the phone reboots. It used to do it at random but now it seems like it does it 3 times a day if not more. Would not recommend buying this phone there is no safe root for this phone yet either, so no way to flash a better OS. Going to end up getting a different phone after only having this phone for less then 6 months!

cyber_spyder

Sep 11, 2016
Visit site
Hello all!
I am a newbie here and just stumbled upon this thread by accident. I too was having this problem with my ZTE970. But I installed NOVA launcher and have had no more problems with random "app has stopped" messages. NOVA launcher did the trick for me. Hope that helps.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sandersc