Battery Life

Moab49

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
I'm a recent convert to android after having several iPhones. I've only had my Optimus G for a little over a week and I love it but I must say battery life stinks. With only moderate use it's gone by late afternoon. Since it's new should I do the old drain down the battery and re-charge it a few times? I thought the new batteries didn't require that.

Little Darwin

Jun 11, 2011
Visit site
Do you have the phone set to Eco mode? The quad core processor does seem to suck up the battery when in use, and Eco mode should help some. However, when I am not actively using a phone, the biggest drain seems to be the radios. If you are in an area without 4g, you can shut off 4g and probably get some battery savings on this phone (I do that).

On another android phone, I shut off 3g data, wifi and gps and it doubled my battery life... I could get 2+ days off a charge instead of 1 day. I don't know if the difference is quite as dramatic on this phone since I use it way too much to see how it does without apps (and the screen) actively running. :)

I have started using Juice Defender and when I am not actively using the phone, it seems to have done a decent job of preserving my battery, I am getting some extra life. It shuts off the data connection, and reconnects periodically to allow for emails etc to be synced. You may want to check out a similar program if short delays on emails etc are acceptable to you. I have also disabled Juice Defender at times to ensure quick responses when I was waiting for a specific email...

Moab49

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
No, I haven't tried Eco mode. I live in LA so there is good LTE coverage on ATT and the phone is on LTE quite a bit I'm sure that's a drain as well. Thanks for your input I will try your suggestions.

Moab49

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
Update: battery life much improved after fully charging and bringing it down to the 20% range then fully charging again. I did this about 3 or 4 times and there is significant improvement. I can get through the day with fairly moderate use and still have 20% or so left at night.

Sent from my LG-E970 using Android Central Forums

georgetanner

Mar 25, 2011
Visit site
The biggest thing to look for is whether an app is holding your phone from going to sleep. These are known as wake locks.

Grab an app that can show you what is holding your phone awake.

I recommend Gsam battery monitor, but that's because I'm the author :) Better battery stats does a great job as well. A simple Apollo like cpu spy will also show you how long your phone spends in deep sleep. You want this to be as high as possible.

On my Sprint lgog, I get 36 hours average on a charge. Not too shabby...

Sent from my LG-LS970 using Android Central Forums

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1357957017303.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1357957017303.jpg
    12.9 KB · Views: 54

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
calvinxander08