Overheating really fast... anyone?

BrandonBetz

Mar 8, 2013
Visit site
Hey everyone,

I'm new to the Optimus G.I love the phone but quickly ran into a possible issue...

After running the phone for 5 minutes I get the screen dim issue everyone talks about. After 10 minutes of use the phone heats up to uncomfortable temperatures.After 15 minutes the phone starts to lag.

The issue happens while I'm just flipping through Home screens, texting, on the web, or anything else.

I replaced my first phone with a new one because LG stated that this should not be happening under normal use, and Sprint told me to replace it citing the same reason. I am worried because my replacement is doing the same thing.

Will this cause long term damage to the phone?Should I keep replacing it until I find one that works, or should I just get a new phone altogether?
Thanks for the answers and advice!

Brandon

Little Darwin

Jun 11, 2011
Visit site
First, there is definitely a problem if a phone overheats quickly..

My phone gets a little warm when I play Temple Run 2 for an hour, but otherwise, no issues with temperature. I run a couple of background tasks (security related) but otherwise apps that run only when I explicitly open them.

Is there any software that you load immediately when you get the phone?

Is there anything that seems to be chewing CPU and/or Power reported?

klokateer123

Dec 11, 2011
Visit site
My phone gets hot really fast too but only when playing games like hungry shark and stuff like that.

Sent from my LG-LS970 using Android Central Forums

iFebby

Aug 4, 2012
Visit site
It could be a lot of different things but it could be bad cell phone reception? when I had sprint my device use to get really hot because it constantly trying to search for a single. Try using it in airplane mode with wifi on to see if issue persist. If not.I'd try getting another replacement

Sent from my SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2

Raptor007

Trusted Member
Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
I was just watching a video from Molly Wood's show Always On where they had three people try out the Optimus G Pro and one of them was doing some gaming and he ran into the same issue you mention here where the screen went dark and he tried to raise the brightness up. But it gave him an error message. He wouldn't buy the phone based on that problem alone. Now they were using the S.Korean version so it could also have been an issue with his phone.

I would say your phone could have an issue as well and it should fall under warranty replacement. A phone simply should not overheat and if it is there is a QC issue.

Brian Hurry1

May 13, 2013
Visit site
I get the over heat message all the time. I did two things to stop it. 1 don't overuse three phone while charging, 2 leave the case off, my phone never over heats with the case off

RenoD2010

Mar 31, 2011
Visit site
I have the LG E970 (AT&Fee variant). I have had no over heating issues. I watched Star Trek Nemesis from start to finish in HD (Netflix stream, case on) and the phone did not even hiccup. Yes it was warm-ER, but not alarmingly so. And it certainly did not dim or shut off. This phone has been available since, what, December 2012? I just bought my phone on May 10th. I say this because manufacturing runs can vary. This phone is made in Korea (not China). I did a little research and the quality of Korean manufacturing is actually pretty good.

So far the only material issue I have had with the phone is location data. Twice now my phone has thought it was in France (though the Google Maps app always puts me in the correct place). Other than that, no issues to report. It's a new phone so I have been monkeying/using it probably more than normal (not used to having such a fast and capable smartphone).

Right now my biggest concern is future support. By comparison to the Galaxy line, it is a niche device. I just hope LG doesn't give up on it.