EOL for Optimus G?

Little Darwin

Jun 11, 2011
Visit site
I don't have any information, but it would suck. I bought a high end phone this time in large part to ensure that it would be supported for a while. If it is true that the Optimus G is declared as EOL within 6 months or so of release, it is ludicrous!

As a paying customer, I would expect a newly released, high end, phone to be supported for at least the 2 years that I had to sign up for, in order to get a reasonable price on it.

itr themes

Oct 16, 2012
Visit site
This is really disappointing. I had my heart set on a Z10 for a very long time, and stuck with an older BB (8530) for a year just waiting for it to be released. Then Sprint says they're not going to offer it. I made the tough decision to stick with them, and try out the Android world, and re-uped my contract for 2 more years on the LG-OG. I am really second guessing my decision to stay with Sprint now though. very frustrating!

unixpsycho

Oct 26, 2009
Visit site
Maybe Sprint isn't selling enough of them to bother restocking? If that's the case then it would make business sense, as they don't want a warehouse full of phones that are not selling.

Little Darwin

Jun 11, 2011
Visit site
The bottom line is that I think it is a nice phone with 4.1.2. Even though I am disappointed, I don't think EOL is tragic... It just seems premature.

gollum18

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
This is really disappointing. I had my heart set on a Z10 for a very long time, and stuck with an older BB (8530) for a year just waiting for it to be released. Then Sprint says they're not going to offer it. I made the tough decision to stick with them, and try out the Android world, and re-uped my contract for 2 more years on the LG-OG. I am really second guessing my decision to stay with Sprint now though. very frustrating!

That must have been a while ago sprints upgrades run for 18 months now not 24.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

Little Darwin

Jun 11, 2011
Visit site
That must have been a while ago sprints upgrades run for 18 months now not 24.

I believe he was referring to the 2 year contract Sprint makes you commit to for a phone upgrade... as far as I know, 24 months is still the norm. At least it is on my plan. I know that for a while they reduced the wait for long time customers, or those who paid more than a certain amount monthly, but as I recall they removed that perk.

1of7627

Aug 16, 2012
Visit site
Of the dozen or so phones I've bought over the last few years, few received any sort of update at all, let alone an incremental or substantial OS update. An EOL announcement for this phone doesn't strike me as all that unusual based on near monthly releases of devices in this realm. Other carriers/vendors I've dealt with have done the same thing. I just bought my Optimus G, not because it will get any love or "support" from the carrier or vendor, but because a quad-core device with 2gb of RAM and a current OS will still be viable for several years regardless of what else comes down the pike and that's likely as long as I'll need it. - MarkC

cmandd

Aug 10, 2010
Visit site
Don't believe that thread. That screenshot wasn't even from Sprint, looked more like a 3rd party. If the phone (or any of them listed) were going EOL, we would have been told way before now.

Noble One

Aug 8, 2012
Visit site
Yeah...phonearena already exposed this as a fake. They did note that the likelihood of this phone being eol if/when the optimus g pro comes out is pretty high.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fancyfranci