Why is the LG Optimus G overlooked?

Oofa

May 22, 2013
Visit site
I use many phones and can find many things wrong with just about every single one of them. The one that has the least problems in performance, style, options, stability is my Optimus G yet it is not a very popular phone. Even with the "free with 2 year contract" that is currently happening, it is not as popular as the rest. I've tried to find a reason for why the G is never among the most popular phones out there and instead it is always a Galaxy 3 or 4 or an HTC One. Other than being a bit more rectangular and feeling a bit bigger in the hand than the rest, I can't find a reason why it would not outsell the competition. I think it is almost faultless when it comes to specs and performance when compared to the rest. Anyone have a good reason for it's lack of popularity?

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I use many phones and can find many things wrong with just about every single one of them. The one that has the least problems in performance, style, options, stability is my Optimus G yet it is not a very popular phone. Even with the "free with 2 year contract" that is currently happening, it is not as popular as the rest. I've tried to find a reason for why the G is never among the most popular phones out there and instead it is always a Galaxy 3 or 4 or an HTC One. Other than being a bit more rectangular and feeling a bit bigger in the hand than the rest, I can't find a reason why it would not outsell the competition. I think it is almost faultless when it comes to specs and performance when compared to the rest. Anyone have a good reason for it's lack of popularity?

I don't see much advertising for the LG. I agree it seems like a good device, but they have to compete against the Note 2 and Samsung's marketing budget.

Little Darwin

Jun 11, 2011
Visit site
I agree. The answer is marketing. The sheeple want what is coolest, not what is best. iPhone is the "bees knees" because Apple is good at telling them it is. The same with the Galaxy line, and now the HTC One... Of course, I suspect even Samsung would have a hard time out-marketing Apple if they didn't have a better device, since Apple is so good at retaining customers. Apple is so good that any ***** could get rich by selling dog crap, as long as it was iCrap and had the half-eaten apple logo.

Lewispaul88

Jul 18, 2013
Visit site
There are more options available within that range and with good performance and style as compared with samsung s3. Samsung s3 has more features than LG optimus G and yet more powerful and good looking. Pricing are almost same but samsung has its brand name which boost the samsung sales.

gollum18

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
There are more options available within that range and with good performance and style as compared with samsung s3. Samsung s3 has more features than LG optimus G and yet more powerful and good looking. Pricing are almost same but samsung has its brand name which boost the samsung sales.

I partially agree with you. While the s4 and other galaxy phones have more features. They do so at a price. The galaxy line is crippled with lag, and anyone who says otherwise is lying.

The g offers a nice phone with nice hardware, and while it doesn't have as much features as the galaxy s3 (its direct competition). It is able to run android with minimal lag, and it is pretty close to stock android, without an overbearing skin like touchwiz.

Really LGS marketing issue has to do more with the fact that Samsung makes the money in every hardware market not them. I mean Samsung has the largest sector for network vision upgrades for sprint (which was a whopping payout for them BTW). There's also the fact to consider that they are advertising masters (learning from apple it seems).

But honestly the g is really nice and doesn't look like an iPhone clone (unlike the galaxy line). I've never seen an lg device included in any apple lawsuits.

Don't view this as a bad comment, I own a galaxy s3, but after this device, I am buying straight nexus devices. We are leaving sprint for T-Mobile, as their service is far better here than sprints, plus they already have 4g here. I don't want to be on a contract any longer, they are bad for your wallet in the long run, and always end up costing you more money than their worth.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

kalo88

Jun 20, 2013
Visit site
Because the Nexus 4 is essentially the same device at a far cheaper off contract price with better support.

Yes the Optimus G has a more memory, a 'better' camera (questionable) and LTE but for some people the Nexus 4 does everything it needs.

I've owned both and found the RAM usage on the Optimus G was very high. Also, because the G Pro was released and soon the G2 the updates for the G will be few and far between at best.

haillyl

Jun 1, 2013
Visit site
This is all about marketing budget.
Besides that, LG is just a newborn manufacturer for high end devices. Before LG 4X HD and Optimus G, LG was famous for their midrange devices. When you tell people to buy LG phone, they ll have bunch of midranges in their mind. Most of the highend device buyer are Samsung, Apple, or HTC loyalist. Let see if LG G2 able to break the sales record for LG.

Sent from my LG-E975 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Oofa

May 22, 2013
Visit site
This is all about marketing budget.
Besides that, LG is just a newborn manufacturer for high end devices. Before LG 4X HD and Optimus G, LG was famous for their midrange devices. When you tell people to buy LG phone, they ll have bunch of midranges in their mind. Most of the highend device buyer are Samsung, Apple, or HTC loyalist. Let see if LG G2 able to break the sales record for LG.

That's funny because I've always seen LG as the high end device and Samsung as the midrange, common, everyone-and-their-grandma-uses-it device that happens to cost more. The fact that I can see what is on the screen in the sunlight makes it a far more high end than any device with an Amoled screen.

Nexus 4 is not available with Sprint so that kills the "because the Nexus 4 is better" theory. The last time I checked Sprint, the S3 is $99 with 2 year contract and the G is free with two year contract and most people walk out with the S3. I can only shrug my shoulders and agree that marketing plays a major role.

haillyl

Jun 1, 2013
Visit site
That's funny because I've always seen LG as the high end device and Samsung as the midrange, common, everyone-and-their-grandma-uses-it device that happens to cost more. The fact that I can see what is on the screen in the sunlight makes it a far more high end than any device with an Amoled screen.

Nexus 4 is not available with Sprint so that kills the "because the Nexus 4 is better" theory. The last time I checked Sprint, the S3 is $99 with 2 year contract and the G is free with two year contract and most people walk out with the S3. I can only shrug my shoulders and agree that marketing plays a major role.

LG majority sales are from their midranges before Optimus G was launched. Before Optimus G, 4X HD was introduced as LG's highend device but its totally a fail, the performance is bad. Being the manufacturer for Nexus4 is a good marketing strategy itself, from there people start to focus on LG highend, thats why OG was launched together with Nexus4.
Well, before the IPS+, LG screen display is even worse than a AMOLED.

djw39

Jun 11, 2011
Visit site
The last time I checked Sprint, the S3 is $99 with 2 year contract and the G is free with two year contract and most people walk out with the S3. I can only shrug my shoulders and agree that marketing plays a major role.

I agree that the LG is higher quality than the GS3 in a few significant ways. But there are still a few downsides to getting an Optimus G that have to do with its lack of market penetration in the US. For example, there are very few cases for the Optimus G, more people will be able to help you troubleshoot the GS3, if something breaks more shops will have the skills to be able to repair the GS3. For me, I'll figure that stuff out on my own. But sometimes things just don't work (Google music) and no one can help.

Sent from my LG-LS970 using Tapatalk 4

YourMobileGuru

Formerly VZWRocks
Feb 25, 2010
Visit site

I think its a combination of a lack of advertising and the timing of the release. Not being on Verizon didn't help either.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using AC Forums mobile app

cjpp78

Sep 3, 2010
Visit site
To me the optimus g was best device of 2012. It was a better performer compared to gs3 and one x and had a better screen.. In 2013 it still holds it own against the gs4 and HTC one. With it basically being a nexus 4 as far as hardware there are plenty stock aosp Roms for it. I'm running 4.3 on mine now. It so smooth and fast that I've felt no need to upgrade to any of the early 2013 flagship phones. Just wasn't impressed. Maybe the LG G2 or Nexus 5 if based on it.

Sent from my AOSP on geeb_att_us using AC Forums mobile app

djw39

Jun 11, 2011
Visit site
To me the optimus g was best device of 2012. It was a better performer compared to gs3 and one x and had a better screen.. In 2013 it still holds it own against the gs4 and HTC one. With it basically being a nexus 4 as far as hardware there are plenty stock aosp Roms for it. I'm running 4.3 on mine now. It so smooth and fast that I've felt no need to upgrade to any of the early 2013 flagship phones. Just wasn't impressed. Maybe the LG G2 or Nexus 5 if based on it.

Sent from my AOSP on geeb_att_us using AC Forums mobile app

I agree, and I would add the normal 3-button configuration is a plus.

Sent from my LG-LS970 using Tapatalk 4

ETR174

Oct 1, 2013
Visit site
Like all the posts before I do think marketing does play a major role with these phones. The Optimus G is a major performer out there with its quad core processor and 2 gigs of RAM and especially its 13 MP camera (even though the superiorly ugly Nokia Windows Phone has 41 MP) but still the S3 is more supported and has lots of accessories. Just look up an extended battery for these and then look one up for the S3 (especially for the Sprint versions)

Sent from my LG-LS970 using AC Forums mobile app

Oh Joseph

Feb 14, 2013
Visit site
I may add the following, my wife has the samsung galaxy 4 and yes,it is slower than my OG. Slower while opening,searching and downloading from the play store even while connected to wi fi. Same when searching the web. I have my OG since February and cannot complain about it,it is a very reliable phone.

Many people buy from what they see on advertisement or from what they hear others speak about or because is on fashion or cool. They do not go to the specification portion of the device they want to buy to compare with others and then decide . That is why they go and buy what others have. Like somebody said in a previous reply,Lg does not have that big of advertisement as samsung,Htc or apple. But they did make a remarkable phone with the OG.

Nov 28, 2013
Visit site
Lets also not forget the overly average camera it has. It does so poor in low light, bad auto focus, average video quality. totally a fail among the otherwise a good package of features this phone comes with. Dunno what LG were thinking. Everyone nowadays expects value for money and LG TOTALLY neglected the camera.

Posted via Android Central App

itr themes

Oct 16, 2012
Visit site
Lets also not forget the overly average camera it has. It does so poor in low light, bad auto focus, average video quality. totally a fail among the otherwise a good package of features this phone comes with. Dunno what LG were thinking. Everyone nowadays expects value for money and LG TOTALLY neglected the camera.

Posted via Android Central App

It pains me that I can't disagree with this :-/

SactoKingsFan

Nov 1, 2013
Visit site
I think it's a combination of poor marketing and reputation. LG is still trying to recover from the negative reputation it earned by producing poor devices (few years back) and not supporting their phones with many updates. Although this has recently changed, many smartphone users still look down on LG devices.

Sent from my rooted LG-G2 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
arslan