Cannot read microSD card [LG Optimus G Android 4.1.2]

liquidcross

Feb 14, 2016
Visit site
My phone won't mount or read my 1GB Sandisk microSD card; even if I try to format it, it gives me a "SD card blank or has unsupported file system" error. The card works fine on my computer, and I can format it there without a problem, but the phone still won't read it. It's running Android 4.1.2, if that helps. Please advise?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! Insert the card into your computer, open Windows Explorer, right-click the card, and select Properties. What filesystem is the card formatted in? FAT32 or something else? Most phones require the phone to be formatted in FAT32, so if it's something like NTFS, that's why the computer can read it but the phone can't.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Do other cards work in the phone? If not, there's probably a problem with the card reader. Make sure there isn't any debris in the slot.

liquidcross

Feb 14, 2016
Visit site
I ordered another card so I could do just that. I examined the slot, and it looks clean. Used some compressed air on it, too, just to be sure.

liquidcross

Feb 14, 2016
Visit site
I tried using a Sandisk microSD HC Class 10 8GB card. This time, the card isn't seen by the system at all; no error messages, but the mount and format commands are grayed out. My computer sees it just fine, and can format it as FAT32 without a problem either. Phone still won't see it.

liquidcross

Feb 14, 2016
Visit site
Sadly yes. The only other thing I could think of is that it can't read newer, high-speed cards; it could see the 1GB old card, just not mount or format it, but it can't see the 8GB class 10 card at all. Does that make sense?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
It should still be able to mount the older card, and I don't think the fact that the newer card is Class 10 should matter. Sorry!

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Someone who isn't interested in keeping a large amount of photos, music, or videos locally on the phone probably wouldn't feel the need to have an SD card. Did you ask the previous owner if he or she had this problem, and that's how you found out?

liquidcross

Feb 14, 2016
Visit site
Here's a new one: if I put the card in, the titlebar says "Media scanning" and "Media scanning completed," but still won't mount the card. So the phone does see the card. With the 1GB, it just gives errors, and with the 8GB SDHC, it cannot mount.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I still think it's a problem with the reader. It could also be a firmware issue, but I'm not sure how easy it is to reinstall the firmware. You could try LG Bridge, but otherwise, you'd have to root the phone and find the stock firmware to install.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I'm not sure. Can you find PC Suite to install? I've had difficulty finding an official download site for it in the past.

liquidcross

Feb 14, 2016
Visit site
There's a link on the LG Bridge page, that's how I found it. :)

I'll try it on my phone later if I can. My phone is also very finicky about connecting to the computer; it only seems to work on USB 3.0 ports, which means my main computer is out (it's older with only 2.0 ports), and my laptop is only a backup.