LG Optimus Fuel (L34C) wifi turning on when waking the phone?

embarrett1231

Oct 31, 2014
Visit site
I have had my L34C for 2 months now, and today it has started turning the wifi on whenever I wake the phone from sleep mode. I know that the wifi is turned off when I put it into sleep, but as soon as I open the lock screen, the wifi icon at the top almost immediately shows up, and when I go into the slide down notifications menu, it shows that wifi is on. It hasn't done this before now. This is a problem as I recieve notifications from several apps and I leave my phone on all night in case of emergency phone calls from family members. Does anyone know how to fix this issue, other than turning off my router at night? I scanned the phone using a trusted antivirius app, but it found no issues. I can't seem to find a setting to change wifi settings beyond choosing which available network to connect to.

omegahunter

Oct 31, 2014
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! Does this persist after a reboot?

Yep. I have been noticing the same thing happening with my Fuel over the past week. I have looked back through all the setting and can't find anything that would tell it to automatically connect to an available wifi and I have rebooted the phone several times to no avail.

omegahunter

Oct 31, 2014
Visit site
I just did another Restart on the Fuel about an hour ago and it did not automatically connect. I just checked it again and it had not connected. I swiped the quick menu/alerts down and the WiFi button is going nuts with the waves flashing. I open the Settings and go to WiFi and the toggle will not work to turn it on. I Restarted again and it is back to automatically connecting to WiFi. ?????

embarrett1231

Oct 31, 2014
Visit site
My husband thinks that it could possibly be a problem with the phone's wifi antenna. He thinks maybe it's not working correctly and won't stay off. Either that or a software glitch. I may end up calling Stright Talk to see if they have any kind of answer for me.

omegahunter

Oct 31, 2014
Visit site
My wife has the same phone and it is not happening to hers ... yet. Please keep me updated if you find out anything and I will do the same. Good luck.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Go to Settings>Wi-fi, tap Menu, then Advanced Settings, and see if there is anything there about allowing wi-fi to always scan. If you uncheck that and it's still causing problems, then it's probably a problem with the firmware or hardware. You may need to contact LG if you can't return the phone to where you bought it.

omegahunter

Oct 31, 2014
Visit site
There is a box to check for Scanning Always Available, but it is NOT checked. Every once in a while it goes from automatically connecting to WiFi to being frozen in Opening WiFi and I have to do a Restart to get it to connect.

omegahunter

Oct 31, 2014
Visit site
Sorry, but total newbie to smart phones. This is day 24 of having one. Should I take out my sd card since it has all of my contacts info and pics on it before doing the factory reset?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Factory reset isn't supposed to affect the external SD card, although I've read some posts from people who did seem to have data disappear after a reset. So it won't hurt to take it out. Make sure you unmount the card first in Settings>Storage, then remove it before the factory reset.

How do you have your contacts on your SD card? Contacts are either synced to your Google account in the cloud (if the contact is associated with your Google account--which I strongly recommend) or saved locally on internal storage in a system folder that you can't access. Some phones also store contacts on the SIM card, which is different from the SD card. Did you export your contacts to the SD card?

embarrett1231

Oct 31, 2014
Visit site
Factory reset may end up being your best option.

I called LG, they told me to do a factory reset. It didn't help. I'm planning on calling Straight Talk in the next couple of days to see what they can do for me. I even made it forget my wifi password, and it still turns the wifi on. Even though it's obviously not connected to the internet, I'm sure it's draining the battery. I also had the issue where it froze the wifi while trying to open it, the phone worked just fine, it was just the wifi itself that was frozen. A reboot brought it back.

omegahunter

Oct 31, 2014
Visit site
Factory reset isn't supposed to affect the external SD card, although I've read some posts from people who did seem to have data disappear after a reset. So it won't hurt to take it out. Make sure you unmount the card first in Settings>Storage, then remove it before the factory reset.

How do you have your contacts on your SD card? Contacts are either synced to your Google account in the cloud (if the contact is associated with your Google account--which I strongly recommend) or saved locally on internal storage in a system folder that you can't access. Some phones also store contacts on the SIM card, which is different from the SD card. Did you export your contacts to the SD card?

Yep. Exported from LG Octane to the Fuel. Contact info is still on the card.

omegahunter

Oct 31, 2014
Visit site
I called LG, they told me to do a factory reset. It didn't help. I'm planning on calling Straight Talk in the next couple of days to see what they can do for me. I even made it forget my wifi password, and it still turns the wifi on. Even though it's obviously not connected to the internet, I'm sure it's draining the battery. I also had the issue where it froze the wifi while trying to open it, the phone worked just fine, it was just the wifi itself that was frozen. A reboot brought it back.

Sorry it didn't work for you. I did the Factory Reset on mine and it has been working correctly since 4pm yesterday.
So far!

embarrett1231

Oct 31, 2014
Visit site
Sorry it didn't work for you. I did the Factory Reset on mine and it has been working correctly since 4pm yesterday.
So far!
Yeah, it was still doing it for a while after the factory reset, but then it just started working. Still working correctly today. I made it forget my wifi password and it hasn't found any wifi since. I haven't even touched the wifi icon, I don't even want to turn it on. I'm not taking any chances. I have an unlimited plan and I don't have this connected to the internet/data all day long, so I don't mind using data exclusively. Hope yours continues to work!

omegahunter

Oct 31, 2014
Visit site
Yeah, it was still doing it for a while after the factory reset, but then it just started working. Still working correctly today. I made it forget my wifi password and it hasn't found any wifi since. I haven't even touched the wifi icon, I don't even want to turn it on. I'm not taking any chances. I have an unlimited plan and I don't have this connected to the internet/data all day long, so I don't mind using data exclusively. Hope yours continues to work!

I went back to using it like I was before and it has not screwed up yet. Hope yours keeps working too.

embarrett1231

Oct 31, 2014
Visit site
I went back to using it like I was before and it has not screwed up yet. Hope yours keeps working too.

I actually talked to someone at work who works in electronics and he also has a higher end LG phone through Straight Talk. His phone does the same thing from time to time. What he does is shuts the phone off, takes out the battery and lets it sit for a minute. Then he holds the power button down (with the battery still out) for about 1 minute. He says it's supposed to reboot the system and he said it helps. I think it's a problem with LG or Straight Talk, as he mentioned a couple of people with Straight Talk who have this problem, but he couldn't remember if they had LG phones or not. Mine is still working fine, I may be brave and try the wifi. Thanks for the input.

omegahunter

Oct 31, 2014
Visit site
I actually talked to someone at work who works in electronics and he also has a higher end LG phone through Straight Talk. His phone does the same thing from time to time. What he does is shuts the phone off, takes out the battery and lets it sit for a minute. Then he holds the power button down (with the battery still out) for about 1 minute. He says it's supposed to reboot the system and he said it helps. I think it's a problem with LG or Straight Talk, as he mentioned a couple of people with Straight Talk who have this problem, but he couldn't remember if they had LG phones or not. Mine is still working fine, I may be brave and try the wifi. Thanks for the input.

Thanks for the tip about the battery. Best of luck to ya.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
andrewsmith