[Review][WIP] 3600mAh Extended Battery with Backplate
05-18-2012 05:15 PM
- KamronPunk a$$ b1tcHAmazon.com: [Aftermarket Product] Brand New Extended Battery Backup Spare Extra Power Replace Replacement+Back Door Plate Panel Cover Faceplate Panel Fascia For LG Optimus S: Cell Phones & Accessories
So we ordered this battery from "Bestpart" on Amazon, and it has arrived. Shipping took a while (15 days from date of order) as it was sent from Singapore.
Here's a couple pictures of the battery and backplate before "installing":
Here's the back of the phone after installation:
I put it in my wife's phone last night, charged it, bump charged, and wiped battery stats this morning. I will be updating this thread over the next few days or weeks with reviews of its performance, and some more photos, etc.
(1) Appearance - I expected the backplate to be made of cheap plastic without the rubberized coating from that the stock backplate has, I was pleasantly suprised to find that it does have a similar if not identical rubber coating. That being said, the backplate does not fit exactly as tight as the stock backplate. It fits snugly at the top and bottom, but it bows away from the phone just slightly at the sides. I'm wondering if it will "break in" or not. Time will tell. Here are a couple photos that I took to demonstrate the gap at the side. It was hard to get a real good representative photo. I would say in real life the gap looks somewhere in between these two photos:
Obviously, the black backplate doesn't match my wife's purple phone either -- we're not winning any style points here!
(2) Weight and Feel - When I initially put in the battery I thought it felt alot heavier, but comparing it with my stock Optimus S in each hand, I really couldn't tell that much difference. The extra blunk does make it more comfortable to hold the phone, but obviously less pocket friendly. The fact that the camera is now recessed also makes it more table friendly.
(3) First Discharge - Time to dead from full battery was 40 hours under fairly heavy use. By comparison, on the stock battery, my wife averages about 12-18 hours. I feel that this is on par with the increase from 1500 to 3600mAh. FWIW, she's running Reborn Rom 2.2.4.
(4) First week of Recharge - Discharge - The trouble I have with this battery is that it will not recharge fully in a single night -- more capacity, so it takes longer to recharge. That being said, it recharges to the point every night where it has lasted my wife the entire day without needing to be recharged.
(5) Sound - I can't tell that the back speaker has been affected at all by the extra plastic.
(6) Camera - I've been waiting for it to be sunny outside for me to take some simultaneous pictures with my phone and my wife's phone to see if the recessed lense reduces glare or anything. Unfortunately, it's been cloudy and rainy all week... hopefully, I'll be able to update this further this weekend.
I will continue to update this with battery whether photo quality is affected, and whether sound quality had been affected...more to come...09-02-2011 11:11 AMLike 5
- Hello all, I'm here to offer some insight and information as to the pros and cons of said purchased battery. Like the gentleman here who bought one for his wifes Optimus, I purchased mine online and it took a good 15 days to ship it. Here's a list of Pros VS Cons.
About 50% to 60% more life depending on usage as opposed to stock 1500 mAh battery.
Makes phone feel more comfortable to hold.
Protects the camera somewhat better than stock battery door.
Didn't take all too long to charge.***
Has a great duration for calling people.
.... Now here are the cons
Battery falls out easily.
If you drop the phone like I did once or twice, the front tabs will crack off making the door virtually useless.
First 10-25% of battery drains ridiculously fast. But it levels off.
If you use stock charger, it will take in excess of 3-6 hours to charge depending on drain.***
Battery door does NOT come in purple. Total Rip Off........
*** = I charged my phone with a custom built charger out of a 5 Volt @ 2500 mA and a USB socket. The stock charger is 5.1 Volts @ 700 mA. You do the math, more mA = quicker charge time.
I do make a point in stating that it's extremely beneficial to drain the battery ALL the way to ZERO. It extends the cells life.
Overall I rate the batter a solid 8 out of 10.
It'd be a 10 IF.... It shipped in purple, shipped faster to begin with, didn't take a stone age to charge, and wasn't so ***** about its mounting design to the phone itself.
But I say it's a great battery for the money, and in the long run does make a significant difference.
I take pride in stating that after a 6.5 hour charge, using it for music for 3 hours collectively, overclocked at 768 MHz with full screen brightness and a 1 minute time out, texting off and on throughout the day..... that it will last for 36 hours without charge. Oh, and throw in a few hours of talk time.
I couldn't dream of that on my stock battery,09-05-2011 11:37 AMLike 1
- I ordered the same battery from e-bay.
Same results as far as battery life and battery cover - but overall - worth the price!
I do recommend getting a good carry case for it.
I picked up a Case Logic universal carry case from Office Depot.
Fit the phone with the extended battery perfectly. Nice snug fit but easy in/out of case.
Has a belt clip and all leather - good quality.
If you really use your phone, you need to get this extended battery!09-06-2011 03:18 PM
- I just received this one in the mail and so far so good. Definitely feels more comfortable to hold but a bit of a hassle for my pocket. Has anyone found a good case yet? (not carrying case) One that actually fits onto the phone itself? I know it would be difficult to find.. but perhaps an alternative to Optimus that would fit it? >_<09-10-2011 03:35 AM
- I purchased this myself, and the battery life is great compared to the stock battery. I got ~30 hours on my first full charge and drain! haven't been over 24 hours since my feature phone...
As for the size, it definitely bulks the phone up, its roughly 1" from front to back now. Looks odd at first, but definitely worth the battery life and for the price. Believe it or not, the thicker size actually makes one handed texting easier, as it sits in your hand better.
Sorry, don't have my camera to take a pic of the phone with the new back.09-15-2011 10:45 AM
- got this same battery a little over a week ago, wasnt sure about it at first but i guess now that its broken in its at its potential. been off charge for 21 hours, at least 3 hours of driving listening to pandora, couple hours of angry birds/words with friends, screen at full brightness and gps on with weatherbug set to follow me. lots of googling/net browsing. maybe an hour of talk time and dozens of texts. my battery is at 58 percent right now. with the standard battery my fone would have died hours ago. 3 times i charged it full and cleared the battery history then let it discharge all the way, dunno if that really did anything but the guy i work with has an evo and can get a full charge to last barely through a 12 hour day. I am quite pleased with this fone and with this new battery.
this is on reborn rom. i know there are plenty of variables but im pretty consistent with my fone use.09-16-2011 01:53 AM
- 09-19-2011 11:45 AM
- I would DEFINITELY recommend this battery to people. Sure, it adds thickness, but it feels great in my hand and I'm never scared I'll forget it because I feel the heft.
Battery Monitor Widget Pro estimates my battery to last 1 day and 23 hours as of the last reading. I'm running CM7.2 with pretty heavy data and wifi usage.
Generally on youtube, TED, DrawSomething, Browser, and misc apps. I also usually turn my phone off when I go to sleep and when in school airplane mode it until I need to toggle data.
Shipping was nice, the battery works great. Several of my friends who own an OptiS are pretty jealous of the battery life I'm hitting. Cannot recommend this enough to every user, especially the power users. LOVE IT 10/1003-20-2012 08:58 PM
- 05-18-2012 11:56 AM
- LG Android Phones
- More LG Phones
- LG Optimus Series
- LG Optimus S
- LG Optimus S Accessories
[Review][WIP] 3600mAh Extended Battery with Backplate
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD