Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 77
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

    Default Spare battery for Optimus S?

    I've been trying to find a spare battery for the Optimus S (without buying a full price OEM battery from Sprint), but haven't found anyone carrying them yet.

    I'm wondering if the Optimus S shares the same battery as the GT540 or the Optimus One (P500), as they are widely available. This link from Mugen seems to indicate that the GT540 and One share the same battery:



    If the information from Mugen is correct, I'm hoping the S uses the same battery, too. I've tried searching and calling LG directly (not helpful).

    Has any one found any information about this? I'll update this thread if I discover anything.

    Thanks.
  2. #2  
    Kevin O'Quinn's Avatar
    AC Team Emeritus

    Posts
    8,729 Posts
    Global Posts
    8,906 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sankaty View Post
    I've been trying to find a spare battery for the Optimus S (without buying a full price OEM battery from Sprint), but haven't found anyone carrying them yet.

    I'm wondering if the Optimus S shares the same battery as the GT540 or the Optimus One (P500), as they are widely available. This link from Mugen seems to indicate that the GT540 and One share the same battery:



    If the information from Mugen is correct, I'm hoping the S uses the same battery, too. I've tried searching and calling LG directly (not helpful).

    Has any one found any information about this? I'll update this thread if I discover anything.

    Thanks.
    I believe ksmith said they are the same. Look at the accessory thread i created in the optimus t section.

    Sent from my Optimus T
    Kevin F.I.M.T.K. O'Quinn Esq.
  3. #3  

    Default

    I posted this over in the Optimus T forums and here was my thought process ...

    The P500 is listed. I can only imagine the P500 and P509 and LS670 use the same battery. Even if mugen doesn't update their supported phone i am going to buy one of these when they are available and check it out.

    EDIT - Also just wanted to let you know Mugen has a very good reputation so I won't bat an eye about buying one of their products.
    [CENTER][URL="https://plus.google.com/u/0/+KPSmith/posts"]Follow me on Google +
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

    Default

    I've gotten some more information on the Optimus battery. The part number is LGIP-400N, which is the same as the Optimus One, the GT540, and many other LG phones. Note that not all LGIP-400N replacements are rated at 1500mAh, so pay attention to the specs.

    I also received a reply from Mugen indicating that their extended battery is compatible with the Optimus S. I'm not in the market for that battery, as most tests seem to show that the 1800mAh extended batteries fair no better than the oem 1500mAh batteries. I know that many folks have anecdotal evidence suggesting otherwise, but I've not seen an objective test showing more than 1500mAh capacity from the Mugen/Seidio/Amzer standard-size extended batteries (the physically larger batteries do better, but typically fall well short of their ratings).

    I'm tempted by this offering:



    But it could be terrible. I have a generic Hong Kong charger/battery combo for my Evo that works very well, so I know some of the cheap eBay options are great values, but some are not.
  5. #5  
    Kevin O'Quinn's Avatar
    AC Team Emeritus

    Posts
    8,729 Posts
    Global Posts
    8,906 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sankaty View Post
    I've gotten some more information on the Optimus battery. The part number is LGIP-400N, which is the same as the Optimus One, the GT540, and many other LG phones. Note that not all LGIP-400N replacements are rated at 1500mAh, so pay attention to the specs.

    I also received a reply from Mugen indicating that their extended battery is compatible with the Optimus S. I'm not in the market for that battery, as most tests seem to show that the 1800mAh extended batteries fair no better than the oem 1500mAh batteries. I know that many folks have anecdotal evidence suggesting otherwise, but I've not seen an objective test showing more than 1500mAh capacity from the Mugen/Seidio/Amzer standard-size extended batteries (the physically larger batteries do better, but typically fall well short of their ratings).

    I'm tempted by this offering:



    But it could be terrible. I have a generic Hong Kong charger/battery combo for my Evo that works very well, so I know some of the cheap eBay options are great values, but some are not.
    If you do that let us know how it goes.

    Sent from my Optimus T
    Kevin F.I.M.T.K. O'Quinn Esq.
  6. #6  
    dishe's Avatar

    Posts
    236 Posts
    Global Posts
    245 Global Posts

    Default

    yeah, I had a hong kong made spare battery charger for my Touch Pro back in the day, and was considering another one if I bought an Evo. Spare batteries can often be found in a Sprint store, asking the reps behind the counter nicely (sometimes they have spare parts from open box units, refurbished phones, etc). Helps if you have TEP since they feel more obligated to help you out.

    I've gotten at least 3 spare batteries over the last couple of years with Sprint like that. Just walk in and ask. If the phone is too new, they might not have anything behind the counter yet.

    Meanwhile, I'm not in a rush to get one now. The battery life on this thing is actually very respectable, especially for a smartphone.

    Seriously- the first day I got it, it went off the charger at 3:30am (unplugged in the middle of the night for testing), and battery didn't complain until 6pm that evening. If you don't think that seems so amazing, remember that the battery has not yet been trained (first few charges generally don't last as long) and I used data HEAVILY (trying everything, installing tons of apps, etc) that first day.

    I think this will easily go a whole day and then some on a charge...
  7. #7  
    Kevin O'Quinn's Avatar
    AC Team Emeritus

    Posts
    8,729 Posts
    Global Posts
    8,906 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dishe View Post
    yeah, I had a hong kong made spare battery charger for my Touch Pro back in the day, and was considering another one if I bought an Evo. Spare batteries can often be found in a Sprint store, asking the reps behind the counter nicely (sometimes they have spare parts from open box units, refurbished phones, etc). Helps if you have TEP since they feel more obligated to help you out.

    I've gotten at least 3 spare batteries over the last couple of years with Sprint like that. Just walk in and ask. If the phone is too new, they might not have anything behind the counter yet.

    Meanwhile, I'm not in a rush to get one now. The battery life on this thing is actually very respectable, especially for a smartphone.

    Seriously- the first day I got it, it went off the charger at 3:30am (unplugged in the middle of the night for testing), and battery didn't complain until 6pm that evening. If you don't think that seems so amazing, remember that the battery has not yet been trained (first few charges generally don't last as long) and I used data HEAVILY (trying everything, installing tons of apps, etc) that first day.

    I think this will easily go a whole day and then some on a charge...
    The battery life of my rooted evo with battery tweaks never stood a chance. This phone is amazing me.

    Sent from my Optimus T
    Kevin F.I.M.T.K. O'Quinn Esq.
  8. #8  

    Default

    Just wanted to let everyone know that the will work with this device for sure even though the LGLS670 is not listed.

    The Mugen battery is designed to replace LGIP-400N (1500mAh) which, if you pry open your battery cover, you'll see is our battery number. Already put my order in.
    [CENTER][URL="https://plus.google.com/u/0/+KPSmith/posts"]Follow me on Google +
  9. #9  
    dishe's Avatar

    Posts
    236 Posts
    Global Posts
    245 Global Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by iamlilysdad View Post
    The battery life of my rooted evo with battery tweaks never stood a chance. This phone is amazing me.

    Sent from my Optimus T
    Heh- just to follow up, I crashed after working late over the weekend, and forgot to plug in my phone.

    I had done a lot on it yesterday, calls, gps, just installed an aux jack in my car so I could run pandora, etc... battery held up today until I plugged it in at my desk around 10 am. And that is since 8am the previous day. Not bad at all!
  10. #10  

    Default

    So the 1800 mAh is the beefiest we can purchase for the Optimus line currently? 300 mAh is not much of an extension
  11. #11  
    BBguy08's Avatar

    Posts
    11 Posts
    Global Posts
    18 Global Posts

    Default

    I bought one of these aftermarket batteries and it didn't fit in the phone the corners are square where the stock is rounded.
  12. #12  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MrDroidi View Post
    I bought one of these aftermarket batteries and it didn't fit in the phone the corners are square where the stock is rounded.
    Which one did you buy. I dont want to buy the wrong one...
  13. #13  

    Default

    Yeah, ditto for me too. I bought one of those generic batteries from China, on eBay. I tried slicing off the clips and the battery fits in, but I can't close the cover.

    I think the clips are actually necessary now, to depress the connector. Doesn't seem like the round (OEM) / square (generic) design made much of a difference.
  14. #14  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pennyg View Post
    Yeah, ditto for me too. I bought one of those generic batteries from China, on eBay. I tried slicing off the clips and the battery fits in, but I can't close the cover.

    I think the clips are actually necessary now, to depress the connector. Doesn't seem like the round (OEM) / square (generic) design made much of a difference.
    Are you saying it would have worked or not? I'm confussed.

    Well I hope I can get the hong kong (E-Bay) ones to work for me. I bought the 2 w/ a charger for $13. Probably wont be here for a couple weeks...
  15. #15  

    Default

    It did not work. I think all those square, black batteries from China do not work. Cover doesn't close with the battery inserted.

    The model is listed as KGIP 400N and the serial I have is SBPL0089001 SIB DC090525.
  16. #16  
    hamagc's Avatar

    Posts
    583 Posts
    Global Posts
    608 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock - Maybe OC Kernel

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by KSmithInNY View Post
    Just wanted to let everyone know that the will work with this device for sure even though the LGLS670 is not listed.

    The Mugen battery is designed to replace LGIP-400N (1500mAh) which, if you pry open your battery cover, you'll see is our battery number. Already put my order in.
    any update on this? have you received the battery yet? any noticable difference?
  17. #17  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by hamagc View Post
    any update on this? have you received the battery yet? any noticable difference?
    Didn't fit. Muegen was kind enough to offer a full refund after i explained to them that although my phone was not listed, my battery was indeed listed as the battery this replaces. I suggested they remove the reference to the battery it replaces and just stick to listing phone models it works on as there are obviously different types of LGIP-400N batteries coming out of LG.

    No word from Muegen or Seidio on a replacement. It blows my mind that a cell phone lines sells 2 million units in 2 months, i cant even imagine how many have been sold now but likely well over 3 million, and we still have such a limited selection of accessories. I would think that if we were going to see a boom of accessories we would have seen it before Christmas but hopefully we'll be pleasantly surprised someday.

    Heres to hoping. Happy Holidays!
    [CENTER][URL="https://plus.google.com/u/0/+KPSmith/posts"]Follow me on Google +
  18. #18  
    hamagc's Avatar

    Posts
    583 Posts
    Global Posts
    608 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock - Maybe OC Kernel

    Default

    well that sucks, i was looking forward to a good review on an extended battery.

    i really hope things pick up for this device. it's a great device but, as you said, everything is still pretty limited on it. hopefully soon, more accessories will head our way.
  19. #19  

    Default

    Yeah those E-bay batteries didnt work for me. Got a refund... I did notice the worked in the Lg ally though.
  20. #20  
    glitchsta's Avatar

    Posts
    154 Posts
    ROM
    CM9 Alpha5 ZVD

    Default Bad Battery...

    I bought these batteries also, and the ones with square corners do not fit the Optimus S. Also when I tried to get a refund the seller kept saying it fit the phone and I just contacted ebay and they refunded my money...thing is I see another KGIP 400N on ebay that looks different...check out this one use the zoom function and look at the corners they look more round and have too little dots... I am thinking this one will fit. I think they just put stickers on bootleg batteries and sell them on ebay But that battery with same sticker as the one I received looks like it has different corners and this guy knew about it had to have round corners. What do you guys think?
  21. #21  

    Default Aftermarket battery

    Hey there was wondering if anyone knew of an aftermarket battery for the optimus S. I am on my phone constantly throughout the day and regularly kill the battery in about 5 hours. Unfortunately i have to have wifi, gps and a bright screen at all times so it eats away at the stock battery pretty quickly. Also would like to say hello and offer a thanks for creating an awesome ROM for an already awesome phone.
  22. #22  
    Nick7's Avatar
    Brick Master

    Posts
    1,039 Posts
    ROM
    CM7

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Funeboi View Post
    Hey there was wondering if anyone knew of an aftermarket battery for the optimus S. I am on my phone constantly throughout the day and regularly kill the battery in about 5 hours. Unfortunately i have to have wifi, gps and a bright screen at all times so it eats away at the stock battery pretty quickly. Also would like to say hello and offer a thanks for creating an awesome ROM for an already awesome phone.
    There are spare on Ebay that come with an external charger.
    Last edited by Nick7; 01-26-2011 at 11:08 PM.
    [/URL]
  23. #23  
    hamagc's Avatar

    Posts
    583 Posts
    Global Posts
    608 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock - Maybe OC Kernel

    Default

    Be careful with eBay batteries for this Device. There is a battery thread in the accessories section.

    Sent from my LS670 using Tapatalk
  24. #24  
    Nick7's Avatar
    Brick Master

    Posts
    1,039 Posts
    ROM
    CM7

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by hamagc View Post
    Be careful with eBay batteries for this Device. There is a battery thread in the accessories section.

    Sent from my LS670 using Tapatalk
    Good call. I just did a quick search.
    [/URL]
  25. #25  

    Default

    So has anyone had luck finding a spare battery? I'm interested in an aftermarket but the posts here don't look promising.

    Swyped from my LS670 using Tapatalk
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions

B