Screen protectors

Jaggrey

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
Over the years, I've used screen protectors from Boxwave, Zagg, Phantom Skinz, Screen Guardz, and Best Skins Ever.

I have been using the Clarivue screen protector on my Evo. (clarivue.com) The screen protectors from Clarivue are as good as any I have used (and much better than the Zagg or the BSE protectors). They are a dry-apply type with no glue. The surface feels smooth and just like the regular screen. Clarivue comes with a lifetime warranty (which I have used). I like these the best because they are easier to apply than many other brands. (instructions on Clarivue's site).

The trick to getting a perfect installation is to use 2 pieces of scotch tape to get rid of any dust particles stuck under the protector. One piece to life up the corner of the protector, another piece to suck up the dust particle.

They have just become available for the Optimus S. $12.99 for a 2-pack, free shipping. 10-percent off coupon is: protect331

I just ordered some for my daughter's Optimus S phone for her Christmas present. I'll keep buying Clarivue until I find something better.
Did you get the clear or anti-glare?

frood

Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
I bought an Xtremeguard after seeing some tiny scratches on my plastic screen. Not bad for $2.49, and shipped within a few days. Wet apply was a little bit of trouble though. I'm not sure if I would use soap next time, I kept getting bubbles underneath the film so I had to wait a few minutes for it to settle. Then I had to leave it a few hours to dry because it was floating on a puddle. It was fine after waiting overnight. Nice smooth texture, the film is a little bit smaller than the screen, and no cutout for the proximity sensor though it seems to work fine.

cmags

Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
So I got my phones today and immediately applied the screen protectors I got on ebay. Same as above, I see that the film is slightly smaller than the screen. I'm hoping this hides behind the hard case I ordered. Other than that, they went on smoothly, are nice and clear (can't tell they're there with the screen on), and no halo. For about 75 cents each, I can't complain.

IMGP6306.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: DroidXcon

kalex

Nov 22, 2010
Visit site
Is that cutout on the top left needed? My screen protector doesn't have it and doesn't interfere with light sensor.

cmags

Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
There have been mixed thoughts on the notch- best I can see is that some early phones' sensors were to sensitive to the protectors so manufacturers added the notch to be safe. If you don't see any problems without it I wouldn't worry about it.

ccrs8

Nov 19, 2010
Visit site
So I got my phones today and immediately applied the screen protectors I got on ebay. Same as above, I see that the film is slightly smaller than the screen. I'm hoping this hides behind the hard case I ordered. Other than that, they went on smoothly, are nice and clear (can't tell they're there with the screen on), and no halo. For about 75 cents each, I can't complain.

IMGP6306.jpg

Wow...those look great! Can I ship my phone to you and have you apply a screen protector? Heh...I have so many fingerprints and marks on the bottom side of mine from two botched applications. I just gave up and deal with them. Not bad when the screen is turned on, but when it is off it looks like a year old phone, not a week old phone.

iadubber

Dec 8, 2010
Visit site
Wow...those look great! Can I ship my phone to you and have you apply a screen protector? Heh...I have so many fingerprints and marks on the bottom side of mine from two botched applications. I just gave up and deal with them. Not bad when the screen is turned on, but when it is off it looks like a year old phone, not a week old phone.

The trick is to use a light soap and water solution sprayed on and squeegeed out.

ltrz

Nov 15, 2010
Visit site
so ordered the Xtreme Guard screen protectors ..(ebay). not bad. must say it has a decent feel. a bit of a soft touch to it however a ton better than how zagg feels.

i find that the instructions are a bit much. and noticed from other users of xtreme have had a bit trouble.

if you clean the screen, then wipe using a micro cloth, and right before applying. take a paper towel sprayed down with windex and gently wipe the entire screen (dont leave suds) then apply the screen you have a better chance of a good apply. allows u to still adjust the screen and wont slide as much while taking out bubbles.

(have ur fingers wet while dealing with applying, wont allow ur finger prints to show up)

it says to wait like 24hrs or atleast 8hrs till use. well if ur in a hurry leave the phone alone for a while. then clean the screen (gently). then put ur cell (with out battery) in rice. yes rice. its a old trick to help moister damage to electronics. it will speed up the whole curing process and takes the HAZINESS away very quick. just wipe off the rice dust. and ur good to go. (can leave over night or a few hrs).

still with product if u have bubbles still may go away in a a few days. or use the ol' decale method and take a needle or razors edge and tap side of bubble(s) and then press down bubble and should go away. (not suggested if you dont know what ur doing)

cmags

Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
These films were dry-apply so I didn't use any solution. I followed a video guide from one of the ebay vendors and will try to find it when I get to a pc, but the basic trick was this:

Clean the screen well with the included or your own microfiber cloth.
Peel back only about half an inch of the sticky side cover and set it in place.
Check and adjust the alignment, allowing the film to lay flat on the phone, not caring if the cover gets creased.
Press a credit card against the film where the cover is still on the film's sticky side and pull the cover as you slide the card along behind, pressing out any air bubbles a you go.
Smooth out any left over bubbles then pull the outside film cover off.
Admire your handiwork and enjoy!

blackwaterstout

Nov 14, 2010
Visit site
I installed the xtreme gaurd screen from ebay the other day and it looks great. Just followed their instructions and did it right before I went to bed at night. The next morning it was ready to rock. As was mentioned earlier it's slightly smaller than the actaul screen but thats a good thing because of any part of it was larger than the glass you end up with air pockets. For $2.49 shipped it's a steal.

simon.ponder

Dec 3, 2010
Visit site
Amazon

I always find great deals on screen protectors and cases on amazon. Usually you can find bundles that include a case, screen protectors, and a mobile charger for ten bucks or so.

If you look close enough, you may even find one that is fulfilled by Amazon, so you can get free two-day shipping with an Amazon Prime account. Which, by the way, is free for a year if you register won amazon with an .edu email address.

DC88

Dec 18, 2010
Visit site
I have the ghost armor shield from their mall kiosk. It is about $20 including install (just screen only, it is $30 to do the whole phone but I dont recommend it). It is a bit pricey, but definitly worth every penny of it. I used it on my touch pro 2, and after a year later it is still in good shape.

pxgray

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
I just installed a Skinomi Techskin which I picked up from Amazon for $10 shipped. I have used the InvisibleShield products in the past and found them a real pain to install, but for some reason the Skinomi screen protector (which has a very similar wet install process) went on like a breeze with no bubbles or pieces of debris under the protector. It doesn't have the textured, "orange peel" feeling of the InvisibleShield, but it does have the self-healing property where you can scratch it with a key and the scratch will disappear. I just got the screen version but they do have a full-body armor, which I imagine is fairly challenging to install. I didn't feel like full armor was necessary on this device, given that the back and sides have they nice rubberized feel, and I don't have a habit of dropping my phone on the ground. I highly recommend the Techskin if you are looking for a good screen protector!

nealoc187

Dec 20, 2010
Visit site
Over the years, I've used screen protectors from Boxwave, Zagg, Phantom Skinz, Screen Guardz, and Best Skins Ever.

I have been using the Clarivue screen protector on my Evo. (clarivue.com) The screen protectors from Clarivue are as good as any I have used (and much better than the Zagg or the BSE protectors). They are a dry-apply type with no glue. The surface feels smooth and just like the regular screen. Clarivue comes with a lifetime warranty (which I have used). I like these the best because they are easier to apply than many other brands. (instructions on Clarivue's site).

The trick to getting a perfect installation is to use 2 pieces of scotch tape to get rid of any dust particles stuck under the protector. One piece to life up the corner of the protector, another piece to suck up the dust particle.

They have just become available for the Optimus S. $12.99 for a 2-pack, free shipping. 10-percent off coupon is: protect331

I just ordered some for my daughter's Optimus S phone for her Christmas present. I'll keep buying Clarivue until I find something better.

Are the clarivue screen protectors tacky like Zagg or smooth like the actual phone screen, or somewhere in between? I hate the tacky/sticky/rubbery screen protectors and want mine to have the least amount of tackiness/rubbery feeling possible.

Also how is the fitment of the clarivue? I noticed someone else's screen protectors posted above that are a bit smaller than the screen. I'd like mine to come as close to the screen edge as possible without overlapping on to the actual body of the phone.

Jaggrey

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
Are the clarivue screen protectors tacky like Zagg or smooth like the actual phone screen, or somewhere in between? I hate the tacky/sticky/rubbery screen protectors and want mine to have the least amount of tackiness/rubbery feeling possible.

Also how is the fitment of the clarivue? I noticed someone else's screen protectors posted above that are a bit smaller than the screen. I'd like mine to come as close to the screen edge as possible without overlapping on to the actual body of the phone.
I just ordered some of these for my lady's Optimus. I'm hoping they're more smooth than tacky as well.

nealoc187

Dec 20, 2010
Visit site
I just ordered some of these for my lady's Optimus. I'm hoping they're more smooth than tacky as well.

just read a review on android forums that said that they are not tacky, they are smooth. the review was thoroughly positive. i'm going to order one right now.

nealoc187

Dec 20, 2010
Visit site
after reading a number of very detailed positive reviews on the clarivue screen protectors from a few forums I went ahead and ordered some in the Anti-glare flavor. will update on my initial impressions once i get it and install it.

really glad i didn't fall for the Zagg that the guy at best buy was pushing really hard (especially @ $25), through research i've learned that it's very rubbery/tacky and that is definitely something i would hate.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kirk781