1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Car Charger

Will soon be getting an optimus s as an upgrade.
    Is there anyone out there that knows of a decent car charger or certain makes/models to stay away from?
    Thanks.
    Brick Master

ROM
    CM7

Quote Originally Posted by morose.mango View Post
    Is there anyone out there that knows of a decent car charger or certain makes/models to stay away from?
    Thanks.
    The ones they sell at any Sprint store work fine.
    [/URL]

Global Posts
    11,775 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock for now

Quote Originally Posted by morose.mango View Post
    Thanks.
    I buy mine from the cheapest place i can find them online, 4-5$ and they always work, i have not had a bad one yet. i have 4 wall charges and 2 car charges. non of them have failed me

I'm going to buy a cheap Mini USB to Micro USB converter to see if my Garmin Nuvi GPS car charger will charge my Optimus. If it does, that's one less piece of hardware to clutter up my car.

I've been looking at a 2-4 USB car charger adapter, then jsut plug in my headset to charge, my phone and my fiances phone when ont he road.

I bought one from Amazon (Motorola brand) for ~$5 and it works great.
    Forums Emeritus

Global Posts
    13,813 Global Posts

^^ What Yeti said. Best charger I've used. Here it is. It's also 1000 mah out, so it chargers a lot faster and keeps up when you have GPS and a bunch of other things running at the same time.

Global Posts
    443 Global Posts
    ROM
    Bugless Beast Nightly

Amazon is the place, that is where I get all my incidentals or my phone. I got a blackberry micro usb for like 1.50, a 1000 mah car charger for a like 4, and screen protectors x5 (not the best, but they will work) for 5.
    "I love talking about nothing. It is the only thing I know anything about." - Oscar Wilde
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  

Thanks for all the replies.. I think I'll go with the motorola from amazon.

ROM
    Flick 5

I've looked at that Motorola one before at Amazon, but it looks a bit large. That's OK if it works well I suppose, but I'm really after a multiple charger. This one with 950mA out could handle another port. If it did I'd already have one. Anyone know of a good quality (ample powered) 2 or 3 port car charger?
    Forums Emeritus

Global Posts
    13,813 Global Posts

It's been a few months since I researched the dual port chargers, but I recall that the 1A chargers with dual ports split the power between the 2 ports, effectively reducing the total output per port.

Global Posts
    263 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM7

Quote Originally Posted by Scott_L View Post
    I've looked at that Motorola one before at Amazon, but it looks a bit large. That's OK if it works well I suppose, but I'm really after a multiple charger. This one with 950mA out could handle another port. If it did I'd already have one. Anyone know of a good quality (ample powered) 2 or 3 port car charger?
    This seems to have plenty of power, but can't make claims to the quality:

I didn't bite at the $18 price tag, but did grab a $4 2000mA single-port adapter also on ebay. Coming from Hong Kong at that price of course, but I'll test it out and review when I receive it later this month or early next... :rolleyes:

Edit: Also saw this one - 4 ports, 3000mA:

Forums Emeritus

Global Posts
    13,813 Global Posts

Oh I forgot to add: On the Incredible, the phone saw the USB port on those types of chargers as a USB host (just like it would on a laptop), and would only draw a max of 500ma, regardless of what the charger was outputting. There are 2 pins you can solder together inside the charger, that will will fix that, but it's not the most elegant hack. That's why I ultimately went with a regular non-USB charger. You might want to verify that the S doesn't do the same thing. However it probably does, because it doesn't want to draw it's max input from a USB port on a laptop, if it thinks that's what it's plugged into.

I have had very good luck with items from very inexpensive, order 2 or 3 car chargers as it always nice to have one extra to take in another vehicle and not a biggie if I forget it, you can also get longer usb data cables....

I usually end up buying about 1 of these a month when they go on sale for around $1 with free shipping . All of them are still working and charge great. I had to jumper the data pins on a couple so the phone would see them as fast rate chargers(very easy to do). I like these because they are very small and dont stick out of the socket very far.

Global Posts
    263 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM7

To confirm, you need to short the two data pins (the center two) on these usb port chargers if not already done by the manufacturer to have the phone register out capable of more than 500mA?

Sent from my LS670 using Tapatalk

ROM
    Your Mom Rom 1.1

it would be nice if some one could come up with a software fix for the only drawing 500 ma from a usb i was going to fix one of the usb ports on my desktop computer so it was not drawing power from the board but rather directly from the power supply and still be able to use data. I do think it is a good idea to have that safe guard.

Quote Originally Posted by cmags View Post
    To confirm, you need to short the two data pins (the center two) on these usb port chargers if not already done by the manufacturer to have the phone register out capable of more than 500mA?

Sent from my LS670 using Tapatalk
    What is the best/easiest way to do this without ruining my charger?

Quote Originally Posted by Cory Streater View Post
    ^^ What Yeti said. Best charger I've used. Here it is. It's also 1000 mah out, so it chargers a lot faster and keeps up when you have GPS and a bunch of other things running at the same time.
    I bought 4 of the ones Cory linked. Only complaint I have is the clear circle that lights up brightly at night. Covering up most of that circle with black permanent marker fixes that.

Good charger.