Car Charger

morose.mango

Dec 21, 2010
Visit site
Will soon be getting an optimus s as an upgrade.
Is there anyone out there that knows of a decent car charger or certain makes/models to stay away from?
Thanks.

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
Will soon be getting an optimus s as an upgrade.
Is there anyone out there that knows of a decent car charger or certain makes/models to stay away from?
Thanks.

I buy mine from the cheapest place i can find them online, 4-5$ and they always work, i have not had a bad one yet. i have 4 wall charges and 2 car charges. non of them have failed me

nealoc187

Dec 20, 2010
Visit site
I'm going to buy a cheap Mini USB to Micro USB converter to see if my Garmin Nuvi GPS car charger will charge my Optimus. If it does, that's one less piece of hardware to clutter up my car.

im_electronic

Dec 2, 2010
Visit site
I've been looking at a 2-4 USB car charger adapter, then jsut plug in my headset to charge, my phone and my fiances phone when ont he road.

Cory Streater

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
^^ What Yeti said. Best charger I've used. Here it is. It's also 1000 mah out, so it chargers a lot faster and keeps up when you have GPS and a bunch of other things running at the same time.

simon.ponder

Dec 3, 2010
Visit site
Amazon is the place, that is where I get all my incidentals or my phone. I got a blackberry micro usb for like 1.50, a 1000 mah car charger for a like 4, and screen protectors x5 (not the best, but they will work) for 5.

Scott_L#AC

Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
I've looked at that Motorola one before at Amazon, but it looks a bit large. That's OK if it works well I suppose, but I'm really after a multiple charger. This one with 950mA out could handle another port. If it did I'd already have one. Anyone know of a good quality (ample powered) 2 or 3 port car charger?

Cory Streater

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
It's been a few months since I researched the dual port chargers, but I recall that the 1A chargers with dual ports split the power between the 2 ports, effectively reducing the total output per port.

cmags

Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
I've looked at that Motorola one before at Amazon, but it looks a bit large. That's OK if it works well I suppose, but I'm really after a multiple charger. This one with 950mA out could handle another port. If it did I'd already have one. Anyone know of a good quality (ample powered) 2 or 3 port car charger?

This seems to have plenty of power, but can't make claims to the quality:

(HD7) Dual USB In Vehicle/Car Charger 4000ma - eBay (item 120667139499 end time Feb-02-11 02:56:37 PST)

I didn't bite at the $18 price tag, but did grab a $4 2000mA single-port adapter also on ebay. Coming from Hong Kong at that price of course, but I'll test it out and review when I receive it later this month or early next... :rolleyes:

Edit: Also saw this one - 4 ports, 3000mA:

Cell Phone MP3 MP4 Player 4-PORT USB CAR CHARGER 3000mA - eBay (item 120642551433 end time Feb-01-11 04:03:23 PST)

Cory Streater

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
Oh I forgot to add: On the Incredible, the phone saw the USB port on those types of chargers as a USB host (just like it would on a laptop), and would only draw a max of 500ma, regardless of what the charger was outputting. There are 2 pins you can solder together inside the charger, that will will fix that, but it's not the most elegant hack. That's why I ultimately went with a regular non-USB charger. You might want to verify that the S doesn't do the same thing. However it probably does, because it doesn't want to draw it's max input from a USB port on a laptop, if it thinks that's what it's plugged into.

Jun 12, 2010
Visit site
I usually end up buying about 1 of these a month when they go on sale for around $1 with free shipping Meritline. All of them are still working and charge great. I had to jumper the data pins on a couple so the phone would see them as fast rate chargers(very easy to do). I like these because they are very small and dont stick out of the socket very far.

cmags

Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
To confirm, you need to short the two data pins (the center two) on these usb port chargers if not already done by the manufacturer to have the phone register out capable of more than 500mA?

Sent from my LS670 using Tapatalk

krakmunkey

Dec 23, 2010
Visit site
it would be nice if some one could come up with a software fix for the only drawing 500 ma from a usb i was going to fix one of the usb ports on my desktop computer so it was not drawing power from the board but rather directly from the power supply and still be able to use data. I do think it is a good idea to have that safe guard.

Burban89

Jan 16, 2011
Visit site
To confirm, you need to short the two data pins (the center two) on these usb port chargers if not already done by the manufacturer to have the phone register out capable of more than 500mA?

Sent from my LS670 using Tapatalk

What is the best/easiest way to do this without ruining my charger?

horsepow3r

Feb 20, 2011
Visit site
^^ What Yeti said. Best charger I've used. Here it is. It's also 1000 mah out, so it chargers a lot faster and keeps up when you have GPS and a bunch of other things running at the same time.

I bought 4 of the ones Cory linked. Only complaint I have is the clear circle that lights up brightly at night. Covering up most of that circle with black permanent marker fixes that. :)

Good charger.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pierre5463