Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Thinking about upgradeing to LG Optimus S from Blackberry

I am thinking about upgradeing to the Lg Optimus S. I have a Blackberry now but want to get into the android market is this a good phone to start with? Thanks for any help.

Carrier
    standard

Great phone to start with. Using the on screen keyboad will be your biggest hurtle I thinks. Everything else is absolutely user friendly. The multi touch pinch and zoom feature will be greatly used for button pushing on web pages. I love mine and will hopefully continue with the Optimus 2X.

Global Posts
    24 Global Posts

I had a 9650 and just switched recently. The on-screen keyboard takes getting used too, and I'm still adjusting. But the multimedia content cannot be beat. If you are already paying for the premium 3G, why not actually use it. With my BB, i feel like I wasn't using the internet at all, and all that monthly payment was not justified. But with the Android, I find myself using it for a lot of different content, I haven't charged my iTouch for weeks now too..

Carrier
    Rooted Jellybean, CM 7.2

The on-screen keyboard can be tricky - I have big fingers, but you'll get used to it.

Once you start Swype-ing - you will see how texting can be a blast!

Definitely upgrade to the Optimus S - with all the tweaks and ROMs available,
    you will have quite an awesome time with the phone.

#1 recommendation - get a class 4 or class 6 micro SD card

I picked up a 16GB class 6 card from NewEgg for $30 shipped.

Carrier
    CM7 Nightlies

i came from a blackberry curve to the optimus s almost a month ago, and im very glad i did. it does so much more than a blackberry ever could, and it is a powerful entry level android phone. i work with 2 people who have droid incredibles... the first persons reaction: "...why is it so, nice?" the second persons: "and how much did you pay for this?" (the answer was free w/ my upgrade lol). the point is, its a good phone. if you can get around the touch keyboard, which i actually like better than a regular keyboard now because of swype, you will be in your glory with this phone

A very good decision on your part. For me the biggest challenge was getting use to typing on a virtual keyboard - coming from a phone that has a physical one.

Now, it would be kind of weird going back. Hehe. Android is awesome. You won't regret it.

Global Posts
    62 Global Posts

Default Migration From Blackberry

I just switched to optimus from a blackberry curve yesterday. I would like to know what are the key apps that help the complete change.

One big problem is exiting apps. With BB apps you could either select shutdown or quit in menu, or hold down the back button. I am using app task killer, just curious if there is another solution.

Yahoo email, I am going to download the app from the marketplace today because I couldn't get it to work with default email program. Is there a good program that can read yahoo, gmail, in same app?

I would appreciate the help, it is amazing the amount of info and apps that are out there, my brain hurts.

I am really enjoying this phone, I did not think I would be getting an android 6 months ago, but with blackberry dragging there feet, and everything going droids way i felt I had to. I cant wait to learn how to root and install roms on it, will probably be a another month before i feel confident enough to do it.

Global Posts
    282 Global Posts
    Carrier
    CM7

Yahoo mail (at least the free version) doesn't include POP or IMAP support, so won't work with the default email app - the Yahoo Mail app is your best (only?) solution.

Regarding exiting apps - some apps (like games and such) have a menu option for exit. Others don't. This was one of the hardest things to get used to coming from a Blackberry or a Windows system where memory management and memory leaks are big issues.

The key here is that *you don't have to exit apps*. In fact you shouldn't. Android is designed to store the app in a saved inactive state, so that when you need to bring up the app again, it's available instantly, where you left off. It's stored in memory until needed. Android also contains a very good internal memory management system that will kill off apps that aren't being used if the memory is needed, but since it's very efficient already, it can run very well with just a little free memory available (just as well as with all your memory available). So just use the phone and let it take care of the memory management for you. You won't see any problems. If you ever need to force close an app manually due to it hanging or something else odd, then you can do so through the built-in App Management settings.
    MonsteRoid likes this.

Global Posts
    62 Global Posts

Thanks for the intelligent and simply explained post. It will be a tough thing to get my head wrapped around for now, but i will get the hang of it. I am looking through the forums now to get a feel for the tips and tricks about android.

Global Posts
    282 Global Posts
    Carrier
    CM7

You're welcome (feel free to hit the thanks button on the post if you found it helpful).

Another good tip is to not be afraid to post a question if your search efforts yield no results out more questions. We're a knowledgeable bunch and everyone learns from posted questions.

Sent from my LS670 using Tapatalk
    Lenoh likes this.

Global Posts
    3 Global Posts

I just did the very same upgrade an hour ago!

I had a Blackberry Curve 8330 and it certainly was great at the time. However near daily battery pulls pushed me to the edge. The 2 year contract was up and it was time to upgrade. I heard some really good things about the Android as I work in the Medical IT field here in the North East.

Couple questions...

1) Facebook alerts. The Blackberry app was nearly instantaneous for alerts. I installed Facebook on the Optimus and I am struggling to see much less get the alerts without manually going in and looking for the replies. I know Facebook offers text alerts but I'd rather avoid that. Any tips for that?

2) What's the battery life ? I had a few green bars and am charging it up now.

3) Camera does an amazing job but I can't seem to find a flash option? The Blackberry was always hopelessly blurry.

4) Love the WiFi!

Much to learn, I might answer some of my own questions here shortly...thanks again

-Paul

Global Posts
    62 Global Posts

Can't answer the facebook question, but your battery life will suck the first few days. After that you will probably level out usage to less than 18hrs a day,lol. I average a full workday if I'm just texting a few people and on the internet at lunch. Its when I play games and watch videos that my life is shortened to about 3 hrs.

Sorry no flash on this baby, or led notification.

Global Posts
    27 Global Posts
    Carrier
    Stock 2.3 with root

I am coming from the same place, had a crackberry curve 8550 then a 8900 and when we changed carries I decided to take the plunge into android. My wife had a G1 when it first came out and I played around with it a lot so I thought why not and got an Optimus. There is so much more to this phone then a BB could ever offer and I am loving it. Only problems I have is breaking myself of wanting to kill every app when I am done with it. Also the on screen keyboard is still a challenge to my fat fingers but I am getting better at it. I would say that the Optimus is a great phone for getting into the Android scene I haven't run into anything that it can not do besides Flash Player.

Global Posts
    48 Global Posts
    Carrier
    Nameles v1

Have you tried the swype keyboard? I have an issue with touch screens and my right thumb. Not sure if this is why but I have an unusually large amount of scar tissue on it from an accident long ago. I can't grow my nail and texting with a keyboard isn't easy. I work with all types of touch screens so it's not the phone but my thumb. Any way to my point with a little training for me and my swype I can txt faster then with a physical keyboard. I also have big digits so it should work better for you too. If not there is a large key keyboard on the market not sure if it's good or if it's over $2

Also welcome to android the people on these forums are very friendly and helpful!
    saoyandide likes this.

We just switched from 2 8330's and the Optimus S is a much better phone. keyboard has a learning curve, but I disliked the 8330 keyboard as well.

I have decided to upgrade my phone from a blackberry 8830 with a crack screen, non-responding keys and broken wheel. I hate the Curve. It's getting so unstable. The daily rebooting is getting PITA..internet on it is a joke! email is great but that's about it.

Default Re: Thinking about upgradeing to LG Optimus S from Blackberry

I think so