ARCHIVED: [Custom Recovery] Optimus S/ Thunderc-sprint

Status
Not open for further replies.

ltrz

Nov 15, 2010
Visit site
Use reboot from the menu. If you still get thrown back into it, try reflashing the ThundeROM zip using said recovery.

The LG Optimus S, by design, if you pull the battery, when you put it back it goes back to the same kernel mode. So if you are trying to get out of recovery by pulling the battery, you will end up back in recovery.

still nothing. still at the recovery menu. any other suggestions??

ltrz

Nov 15, 2010
Visit site
Are there any errors when applying the ThundeROM zip?

(no errors but when applying nothing would happen. just right to the recovery screen..)

however thanks for the help. i felt the phone was a lost cause.

so i just got back from exchanging to a new optimus s. so gonna start all over. lol

afreed1

Nov 30, 2010
Visit site
The file name in the updated v1.2 changed to recovery-thunderc-s-RA-v1.2-GNM.img

code should be:
flash_image recovery /sdcard/recovery-thunderc-s-RA-v1.2-GNM.img

Last edited:

prittyboy203

Nov 6, 2010
Visit site
Where is there a updated file at I still only see the 1.1.0 gmn file when I see the link and also when its going to download from the link in the first page thanks

ccrs8

Nov 19, 2010
Visit site
question, any idea why when I go to adb shell it gives me the $ sign but when I enter su to change to # it says denied??

I'm not sure if this was answered before, but I ran across this today and was confused for a while until I found out what was going on. When you type "su" to change the $ to #, it pauses for a few seconds before saying permission denied. During those few seconds, look at the screen of the phone and you'll see that the superuser program is prompting you to grant su for adb shell. Once you approve that permission on the phone itself, your adb shell will give you '#'.

Reactions: Gutterball

rodcpierce

Android FTW. Apple FTL
Aug 5, 2010
Visit site
ok guys, im having an issue here. I cant for the life of me get this recovery installed. I get through the following:
# mount -o remount,rw -t yaffs2 /dev/block/mtdblock5 /system
# cat /sdcard/flash_image > /system/bin/flash_image
# chmod 755 /system/bin/flash_image

then when I get to this step:
# mv /system/etc/install-recovery.sh /system/etc/install-recovery.sh.bak

it says failed on '/system/etc/install-recovery.sh' - No such file or directory

rodcpierce

Android FTW. Apple FTL
Aug 5, 2010
Visit site
nevermind, I just skipped that step and went on, and its not got the thunder c recovery installed. all seems to be working.

sclarktay4

Nov 27, 2010
Visit site
I think I have also bricked my phone. I did all the reading and followed all the steps. I did finally get to flash the phone and booted to the thundeROM per the instructions. I too showed my friends what i had done. Now it will not come out of android system recovery.
I have tried re flashing zip from sdcard... nothing, it just keeps rebooting to the recovery screen. any suggestions?

darknoobie

Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
backup fail

I installed this custom recovery and did a nand backup. I also installed thunder rom and now my phone does not boot. It worked for few days. I had to pull the battery now the phone only boots into recovery. I restored my nand and the phone is brick :) Any help appreciated.

ltrz

Nov 15, 2010
Visit site
I think I have also bricked my phone. I did all the reading and followed all the steps. I did finally get to flash the phone and booted to the thundeROM per the instructions. I too showed my friends what i had done. Now it will not come out of android system recovery.
I have tried re flashing zip from sdcard... nothing, it just keeps rebooting to the recovery screen. any suggestions?

in a earlier post i put up..this basically happened to me...(finding out later its was due to my sd card being corrupted during process (friend took out sd card, rebooted and was a lost cause). (no matter wut i did, helped, tried to redo all the steps etc. nothing)...

so in short, i got a new optimus
(keep in mind, rooting and "tampering" with the phone, voids warranties, etc)

however from what i learned on my own etc. as it is..the phone is now pretty much a lost cause... bc its been a few days since my issue and have yet to see any solutions. (also may wait till later in the day before doing anything, some avid users that may be able to help, are not on the forum this late).

beezy

Feb 27, 2010
Visit site
it wont even power off when i select power off in the recovery
need help

What version of the recoery are you using and have you tried to download the rom and flash it again to see maybe it was a corrupt download.

I installed this custom recovery and did a nand backup. I also installed thunder rom and now my phone does not boot. It worked for few days. I had to pull the battery now the phone only boots into recovery. I restored my nand and the phone is brick :) Any help appreciated.

Have you tried grabbing a fresh copy of the rom and flashing it? If that fails maybe try using a different sdcard.

shortyjacobs

Dec 2, 2010
Visit site
Gah, I want to do this so bad but I'm getting scared with the recent phone brickings/reboot cycles.

Assuming I follow all directions in post 1 verbatim, are there any other precautions to take? Format SD card first? (I've read there can be problems with those) Anything else?

Thanks to all the geniuses :).

mfldmike

Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Uber N00b Guide

Ok, so I've seen a LOT of questions on how to actually do this...I'm not writing a new guide, its just complementary to the one that "drellisdee" wrote.

1. ROOT your device all the instructions can be found http://forum.androidcentral.com/lg-optimus-s/43108-how-root-lg-optimus-s.html

There is guides for both Windows, Mac, and Ubuntu users.

2. Connect your phone to your computer and use mass storage device. This is so you can transfer files to the root of your SD Card on the phone.

NOTE: It will look something like the picture directly below, you may have to bring down your notification area to mount it to your computer.

Usb_mount.png

3. DOWNLOAD BOTH OF THESE FILES --

recovery-RA-GNM-thunderc-s-1.1.0.img.zip

http://forum.androidcentral.com/att...ery-optimus-s-thunderc-sprint-flash_image.zip

After you download these files make sure you unzip them and place them in the main directory of your SD Card on your phone.

4. Use the safely disconnect hardware to remove your phone as a mass storage device from your computer. If you don't do this you will not be able to ADB into your device.

5. Plug your phone back in and open up a COMMAND PROMPT in ADMINISTRATOR for Windows or TERMINAL for Mac.

6. You will have to remember where you download the Android SDK, and what you named the file to. For Windows users its probably something like:

C:/Android/Tools/Adb Shell "IF" you placed it in the root of your "C:" drive if you placed it on your desktop the path to the file is going to be different. So for simplicity just place it right at the root of "C:"

For those Mac users just right click on the folder, get info, and note what the file path is so you can type it in TERMINAL.

7. Once you start ADB make sure you have a "#" symbol and NOT a "$" symbol. If you have already rooted your device TYPE "su" THEN PRESS ENTER! Make sure you look at your phone when you do this because you might have to grant your computer "su" (super user) rights. If your not yet rooted...GO BACK TO STEP 1.

8. If everything is good from here you can now start entering the following commands ONE-BY-ONE.

Code:
mount -o remount,rw -t yaffs2 /dev/block/mtdblock5 /system

cat /sdcard/flash_image > /system/bin/flash_image

chmod 755 /system/bin/flash_image

mv /system/etc/install-recovery.sh /system/etc/install-recovery.sh.bak

mount -o remount,ro -t yaffs2 /dev/block/mtdblock5 /system

flash_image recovery /sdcard/recovery-RA-GNM-thunderc-s-1.1.0.img

reboot recovery

9. Your Screen should look something like this:
393512721.jpg

If it doesn't you did something wrong...usually it will be because you didn't UNZIP those files and put them in the ROOT DIRECTORY of the SD Card. Don't rush through it, it's not a race so just take your time. With a little patience and this guide you'll be able to flash that Custom Rom in no time flat.

I don't take any credit for this, I just wrote and easier guide so please refer to the first post and give credit where credit is due!

To flash that first awesome rom to your phone please re-direct yourself here.... http://forum.androidcentral.com/lg-optimus-s/45401-rom-thunderom-v1-3-11-29-2010-a.html

infid3lkastro

Dec 2, 2010
Visit site
^Thank you for an awesome write-up.

EDIT
I have read everything(literally?) on the forums regarding the Optimus. By far, this is the most concise set of n00b-friendly instructions offered. This should be a sticky in of itself.

Last edited:

Kalums

Nov 24, 2010
Visit site
Thanks drellisdee! Great recovery did have a little prob finding v1.2 but got it and installed all is working good.
P.S. your new recovery gave me too many options i dunno what to do w/ myself. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
steve1084