Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Carrier
    picarom+picasticks kernel

Lightbulb [Kernel] Picasticks OC kernel built from LG source

Kudos to block944 for posting my little project here before I even had a chance to! I saw the incoming hits to the blog from androidcentral and it was ROFL time.

Anyways, the blog post with the details and blabber including source code is here:
    Overclock Android kernel for Sprint Optimus S

But I'll summarize. The basic idea is to have the stability of the stock kernel (meaning both it should work and I won't have to rerelease it every other day), with maximum performance.

The kernel is compiled from VD source. There are a few changes to the kernel config to remove unnecessary stuff, so the binary winds up about 380K smaller than LG's.

The .zip uses koush's AnyKernel so you can flash it over top of stock VD or any VD ROM (I've had no issues with TR 1.8 and 1.8.2).

I've added overclocking. By default CPU scaling is from 245-748 MHz, but you can up this (or lower it) with SetCPU or similar.

I added the "interactive" CPUFreq governor for snappier UI coming out of idle. Now, because I'm doing AnyKernel and not changing the ramdisk image inside boot.img, your phone will still boot with "ondemand" by default (sorry, this is a downside to AnyKernel). You can change to "interactive" by doing any of (in increasing order of difficulty):
    • Use SetCPU to change it (and have it run on boot if you want). [or]
    • "echo 'interactive' > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_governor" and add this one-liner to any boot script if you want it to happen automatically on boot. [or]
    • Unpack the boot.img and edit /init.qcom.post_boot.sh in the ramdisk to use 'interactive', then repack and flash_image the new boot.img. This is what I do, and what you'd do if you were building a ROM with this kernel.

Before I paste the download link, I'll paste the standard disclaimer, thanks to ThundeROM:

We are not responsible for your device, SD cards, thermonuclear war, or the current economic crisis. Please do some research if you have any concerns about features included in this ROM before flashing it! YOU are choosing to make these modifications, we are simply making them available. - Steve Kondik
    Current version (posted April 18): Download, copy to /sdcard, reboot to recovery and flash: picasticks-07.zip

Version history:
    07 (posted April 18): picasticks-07.zip includes ext2, ext3, ext4 Linux filesystem drivers compiled as modules (no need to update if you don't want this)
    06 (posted April 8): picasticks-06.zip config is identical to 05, but kernel now compiled with CodeSourcery toolchain with newer GCC
    05 (posted April 3): picasticks-05.zip no known bugs; fixes issue in 04
    Test version (posted April 2): picasticks-04-testA.zip (OC + interactive only; no kernel config changes from LG kernel, so good to use as baseline VD kernel. See thread around page 3 for info)
    04 (posted March 31): picasticks-04.zip has UI lag problems due to choice of preempt RCU, do not recommend

Please let me know about any issues you run into. Be sure to report details like what ROM you are running and anything else that's relevant. Try to isolate the bug as much as possible and be sure that it is kernel-related.

I haven't had any, but if you have any issues with crashing or stability, please report what max CPU clock you used and what CPU governor, and try again with clock capped at 600 MHz and governor set to "ondemand" or "performance" to see if that makes any difference.

Carrier
    Running Quattrimus ICS

What is the difference between this and Xionia v13?

Sent from my LS670 using Tapatalk

Other thread is closed, this is all yours now.
    AC Forums Android Developer

Carrier
    aosp - JellyBean

Quote Originally Posted by picasticks View Post
    Kudos to block944 for posting my little project here before I even had a chance to!.....
    LMFAO!! I was following that post and contemplating trying "his" kernal too.

Nice to know the truth is out. Anyway, going to flash it now and i'll report issues, if any. I'll be running it on nROM 1.6.2 Thanks.
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Carrier

@Ksmith, thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by 00_wrath_00 View Post
    What is the difference between this and Xionia v13?
    That's a good question! I will try to come up with a short answer but it is mostly a lot of details with the kernel config. Xionia is great, but the main reason I personally wanted a kernel like this is that it would just be LG source, so it would work as reliably as stock (I am not saying that Xionia isn't reliable, I don't know) and not need to be updated except when LG updates.

I have modified the C to do 2 things: overclocking, and the semi-official backport to add the interactive governor. (Xionia has both also.) I don't plan on doing a whole lot more of that, unless there are obvious big wins that are either in the android-kernel-msm7xxx tree or the generic tree (or else *really* solid). For now LG is putting out a new OS version really often so I don't think chasing down hardware bugs is my area. Xionia has a ton of patches to the C, mostly ported from CM7.

As far as the kernel config goes, the resulting stock kernel binary is 2.6M, mine is 2.3M, Xionia is 3.0M. Xionia adds many features that aren't in the stock kernel, off the top of my head: lots of filesystems like Ext4, support for some bluetooth and usb hw, LAN filesystems like CIFS, and all of the advanced router kernel stuff. You could use Xionia for WAN routing! If you diff our kernel configs you will see everything.

If lots of people ask for CIFS to stream MP3s of their Windows box, or particular crypto like Camellia, that's cool, I'll add popular kernel features as modules, but I want to keep the binary at least as small as stock. So, there you may prefer to use Xionia because you want Ext3 and NFS and it's all compiled in and you don't have to compile anything or feature request it from me.

Performance-wise, my goal is better performance than stock. I would guess that my kernel and Xionia are pretty close since the obvious performance improvements (overclocking and backporting interactive CPUFreq) are both there. There aren't any obvious performance boosts in the upstream kernel and all of LG's kernel config in the MSM area (where it counts) is basically spot-on. If people want to benchmark, that would be cool ... all I've done is the SetCPU benchmarks vs. stock and they all showed that my kernel with a 20% faster clock (748 MHz vs. stock 600 MHz) returned about 20% faster.

Anyway I hope some of that was useful. I think what zefie is doing is great and as someone interested in the kernel I follow Xionia, and if you are also really into the linux kernel then Xionia is going to give you more new stuff to try out. But, this project is more what I personally want to run everyday on my phone, a bit more conservative, but still kicking stock's ***.
    00_wrath_00 likes this.

Carrier
    Running Quattrimus ICS

Well in that case i will dl and deffently check it out thank you for the detailed info it was appreciated.

Carrier
    aosp - JellyBean

picasticks likes this.

Carrier
    aosp - JellyBean

Performance update:

With nROM 1.6.1, Max-748 Min-245 and Governor-Interactive, I did notice some lag and screen freezes for a few seconds when coming out of an app like Gallery or when downloading/uploading something or when wifi was connecting after the screen being off. But other than that, it ran smooth and no FC's that I could find.

I tried different Gov. settings and it did not seem to make a difference.

Carrier
    Rooted Jellybean, CM 7.2

Using this with nRom 1.6 - 768/480 - Interactive

Performance seems quite responsive, no F/C's or tombstones generated

Nice - I don't use or need any of the extra features - good kernel!

Global Posts
    103 Global Posts
    Carrier
    CleanROM 2.9.5

runs great, thanks!

Carrier
    Reborn ROM 2.1

Seems good so far. And the USB Storage works! That was my main problem with Xionia's. I still can't get mine over 806 without reboots.

I'm experiencing some lag with setcpu @ 245 748 interactive. I'll try and up the minimum a step.
  13. Thread Author  Thread Author    #13  

Carrier

Quote Originally Posted by Robchaos_ View Post
    I'm experiencing some lag with setcpu @ 245 748 interactive. I'll try and up the minimum a step.
    I'll be very interested to know if it makes a difference. I just added the code for the interactive gov so I haven't had much chance to experiment with it yet, and if there's a better minimum that would be very useful.

Thanks to everybody for the benchmarks and feedback so far!

Well, I tried it for half the day and had to revert back to the stock kernel. I tried bumping up the min to a few steps up, and I also tried messing around with the lowmem settings (using lowmem app) . It just seemed to have trouble with freq. Transitions and lock screen lag.

Carrier
    Running Quattrimus ICS

What rom are ya all using? Rooted stock NROM THUNDEROM?

Oops, forgot to add, tr1.8.2

Carrier
    Reborn ROM 2.1

Quote Originally Posted by 00_wrath_00 View Post
    What rom are ya all using? Rooted stock NROM THUNDEROM?

I'm using it with the newest ThunderROM and Clockwork. I do have some stuttering when it unlock the phone.

Carrier
    Running Quattrimus ICS

I tried it on NROM last night and was having a lot of lag regardless of the setting. Swiching to ThundeRom and see if my phone likes the combo lol

Global Posts
    103 Global Posts
    Carrier
    CleanROM 2.9.5

Getting some lag after unlock on latest thunderom also.

Carrier
    CyanogenMod 9

This kernel is the perfect option for just enabling overclocking, without any other speed hacks.

Compared to Xionia this kernel may feel slower, but so does stock. This is not a fault of this kernel, at all. The fact is Xionia uses many untested speed hacks.

Keep in mind the source code is not the only optimization. When I did kernels for the Samsung Moment I realized the importance of not just compiler flags, but compilers themselves.

Xionia is built with a special buildroot toolchain, then the Makefiles are hacked to add even more optimization.
    The special toolchain supports optimizations that the standard Android Toolchain does not. If you have ever tried to compile Xionia from source, you may have gotten build errors. This is why.

I would suggest to pixa to compile using the Android Toolchain compiler v 4.3.3 from the froyo branch to best mimic being exactly like LG.

Also you may want to copy your .config to something else like thunderc_config then "make mrproper", then copy that file back to .config

a mrproper (more proper) is a cleaner version of "make clean" and will produce a nice clean build, but it deletes your .config (thus backing it up above). The result is you get "you@machine #1" instead of "you@machine #8", which is a dirty build (8 builds since last proper clean). I usually test using dirty builds then clean and release a clean build. It's probably unimportant and means nothing either way (i see ubuntu release with #30), but its just something I do. lol

Just some friendly suggestions though.
    drewwalton19216801 likes this.

Global Posts
    213 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by BDaught View Post
    Seems good so far. And the USB Storage works! That was my main problem with Xionia's. I still can't get mine over 806 without reboots.
    I will have to try this... if it can fix USB STORAGE issue with Xionia's
  22. Thread Author  Thread Author    #22  

Carrier

Quote Originally Posted by Robchaos_ View Post
    Well, I tried it for half the day and had to revert back to the stock kernel. I tried bumping up the min to a few steps up, and I also tried messing around with the lowmem settings (using lowmem app) . It just seemed to have trouble with freq. Transitions and lock screen lag.
    Thanks for the info (and to everyone else!).

Everybody who's had noticed lag: I've built several test kernels to isolate various features (along with retesting stock kernel) and this is the one it would be great if you'd like to test it: picasticks-04-testA.zip (I also added the URL to the top post)

It's actually 100% stock as far as the kernel config goes, with the exception of OC and interactive CPUFreq governor. So, more conservative than the 04 release was. (You'll still need to follow directions from top post to enable interactive.)

I've isolated one problem that was causing lag -- my removal of kernel debugging features caused problems whenever a network interface went up or down (so, once or maybe twice on boot with the TR airplane mode thing, plus wifi on/off, which also means on unlock if you have the default of wifi going down when the display sleeps, because wifi rewakes then). An easy way to see this if you're running 04 is to use the Power Control widget, tap to turn wifi on or off, then try to do anything, like scroll homescreens.

Otherwise I haven't noticed any other problems. There is obviously sluggishness if you peg the CPU, but still performs better than stock in the same situations. MSM7627 is just a lowly single core, so a background process doesn't have to do much to cause a noticeable bump if you're doing something intensive like a game in the foreground.

If you do notice lag or slowdowns please report load averages if possible (one place to see them is the info tab of SetCPU).

Assuming the testA is good, I'll put together an 05 release.

As far as the low-end freq goes, 245760 kHz is the device default and so far seems to have worked best. I know an older TR with the custom kernel experimented with the CPU min and people had issues with that. Anyway ... I'm sticking with 245760 for the time-being.

Carrier
    Rooted Jellybean, CM 7.2

" Test version posted April 2: picasticks-04-testA.zip (see thread around page 3 for info. should be no problem running this, it is less aggressive than 04 release) "

The test version seems to be WAY smoother and less choppier than 04

I noticed a difference right away

I'm sticking with Test-04 for now!
  24. Thread Author  Thread Author    #24  

Carrier

zefie, thanks for the tips! I appreciate it. And you caught me on the dirty builds. mrproper or out-of-tree builds from now on so I don't get called out again.

Quote Originally Posted by zefie View Post
    Xionia is built with a special buildroot toolchain, then the Makefiles are hacked to add even more optimization.
    The special toolchain supports optimizations that the standard Android Toolchain does not. If you have ever tried to compile Xionia from source, you may have gotten build errors. This is why.

I would suggest to pixa to compile using the Android Toolchain compiler v 4.3.3 from the froyo branch to best mimic being exactly like LG.
    It's funny you mention this, I just downloaded the "official" ARM toolchain from CodeSourcery earlier today to see what that would do. It's the fall 2010/GCC 4.5.1 release.

Right now I am using the froyo platform's toolchain, along with GCC 4.4.0 which is also what the LG VD kernel was built with.

In the past I haven't found much benefit to compiler optimizations with the Linux kernel, just because so much of the CPU-specific code is already basically assembly. But, we'll see if I get anywhere.

I'm installing the test kernel now!
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast