ARCHIVED: [ROM] - gROM 2.2 - 10/16 - GB - With Flash - Yes, FLASH!

Status
Not open for further replies.

drewwalton19216801

Dec 27, 2010
Visit site
Re: [ROM] gROM 1.0 - 9/14/11 - g Stands for Gingerbread! - ROMS U

Using this rom and also with GingerKernel; it is working nicely so far. I can't get Wi-Fi hotspot to work although I'm sure that is normal and will be fixed soon enough. Glad to be on official gingerbread finally! :D

Edit: Haha right after I said this my phone freezes at the browser with Wi-Fi enabled and reboots. Haven't overclocked it yet. Not sure whats up.
Edit2: Frozen at Sprint now... :\ bah

I think I screwed up the default OC settings, I'm uploading a new kernel build at the moment.

Edit: Released.

Last edited:

deadset

Jan 4, 2011
Visit site

I think I screwed up the default OC settings, I'm uploading a new kernel build at the moment.

Yeah I actually had it reboot when it was just sitting on my desk and not in use. Updated to v03... seems like the rebooting has stopped now. Is Wi-Fi hotspot something that will require the kernel to be updated/changed?

ccrs8

Nov 19, 2010
Visit site

Thanks for this ROM! I just went from Nick's Shell ROM to this (after updating to gingerbread and rooting, of course). It seems to work great. I'll report any issues I have.

I don't know if you are going to continue developing and adding features to this, or if you were just putting this out there as a de-Sprinted stock ROM for those who didn't want the bloat. As I said, I came from Shell ROM so clearly I don't do the "bells and whistles" that others like. The only suggestions or requests I'd have would be a) get rid of the bootup sound, and b) give an option to only have the lock key be able to unlock the phone to reduce the chance of butt dialing. I tried to flash a keyboard layout .zip from Reborn that got rid of the home button wake-up, but that doesn't seem to work on this ROM.

Anyway, thanks a ton!

scrosler

ROM Developer
Nov 30, 2010
Visit site

GingerKernel WILL work with this ROM, and it's overclocked ;)

Thats good stuff!!!

Drew, I dont see any updates. Last update was 9/8? What am I missing?

Yeah I actually had it reboot when it was just sitting on my desk and not in use. Updated to v03... seems like the rebooting has stopped now. Is Wi-Fi hotspot something that will require the kernel to be updated/changed?

Hot spot needs to be reworked. It wont be going until I can figure out the hacks that need to be rebuilt on the framework.

Thanks for this ROM! I just went from Nick's Shell ROM to this (after updating to gingerbread and rooting, of course). It seems to work great. I'll report any issues I have.

I don't know if you are going to continue developing and adding features to this, or if you were just putting this out there as a de-Sprinted stock ROM for those who didn't want the bloat. As I said, I came from Shell ROM so clearly I don't do the "bells and whistles" that others like. The only suggestions or requests I'd have would be a) get rid of the bootup sound, and b) give an option to only have the lock key be able to unlock the phone to reduce the chance of butt dialing. I tried to flash a keyboard layout .zip from Reborn that got rid of the home button wake-up, but that doesn't seem to work on this ROM.

Anyway, thanks a ton!
0. I plan on contributing. This is my third ROM series for the Optimus S and I have two ROM series for the Evo 3D (Not sure where that came from?).

1. Good request!

2. I dont understand what you mean about unlock key? Can you link me to an example?

3. I cant say that I am shocked to hear that mods built for Froyo dont work in Gingerbread. lol

-Scott

Last edited:

kingdavidbaker

Jan 7, 2011
www.kingdavidbaker.com

I think he means he doesn't want the phone to unlock unless you hit the power button. When stock many buttons will wake the screen....which I prefer lol....but apparently some people have issues butt dialing even with a lock screen. And just so everyone is aware you can change the keyboard settings yourself by editing your thunder.kl file. There are instructions in a thread somewhere lol.

Edit: I haven't flashed the ZVH update or gROM so I'm assuming the keyboard file is still "thunder.kl" :)

Reactions: ccrs8 and scrosler

scrosler

ROM Developer
Nov 30, 2010
Visit site

I think he means he doesn't want the phone to unlock unless you hit the power button. When stock many buttons will wake the screen....which I prefer lol....but apparently some people have issues butt dialing even with a lock screen.

Edit: I haven't flashed the ZVH update or gROM so I'm assuming the keyboard file is still "thunder.kl" :)

Ohhhhh.... Ok. Yeah, I got you now. Makes sense. On my 3D it doesnt do that and I never have butt dial issues anyways, lol. But I will look into that.

Keyboard: I believe so as well. I cant say for sure because I am away from the ability to check...

jbyers715

Nov 29, 2010
Visit site

I just flashed this morning and looking good. I do have one issue though. If I plug the phone in via USB to a machine that has the LG drivers, it will charge and ask for USB Mass storage everytime. If I plug into a machine without the drivers, I have to enable/disable USB debug to charge and I never get prompted for USB Mass storage.

scrosler

ROM Developer
Nov 30, 2010
Visit site

I just flashed this morning and looking good. I do have one issue though. If I plug the phone in via USB to a machine that has the LG drivers, it will charge and ask for USB Mass storage everytime. If I plug into a machine without the drivers, I have to enable/disable USB debug to charge and I never get prompted for USB Mass storage.

Ok... Thats strange. I cant say that I am having the same results but I will try to replicate and let you know what I find.

ccrs8

Nov 19, 2010
Visit site

I think he means he doesn't want the phone to unlock unless you hit the power button. When stock many buttons will wake the screen....which I prefer lol....but apparently some people have issues butt dialing even with a lock screen. And just so everyone is aware you can change the keyboard settings yourself by editing your thunder.kl file. There are instructions in a thread somewhere lol.

Thanks. That is still the file. The thread about it is here:
http://forums.androidcentral.com/lg...hacks/89699-mod-remap-your-hardware-keys.html

I followed the instructions in that thread and set the four physical buttons below the screen to NONE from their original setting of WAKE_DROPPED and rebooted, and now everything is good. Of course that will probably get overwritten next time I flash, so next I need to learn how to create a flashable .zip to make those changes easier.

ccrs8

Nov 19, 2010
Visit site

One thing that is weird is that whenever I plug my phone in to a wall charger (not sure about USB in to computer), the screen will wake up but instead of turning back off after the set amount of time (like Froyo did), it will remain on until I turn it off via the power button. I checked the development settings (where you turn on USB debugging) to verify that I did not set that setting myself, but it was not set. I don't know if this was how stock gingerbread straight from Sprint behaved as I flashed this ROM the second I had stock Gingerbread up and running.

scrosler

ROM Developer
Nov 30, 2010
Visit site

One thing that is weird is that whenever I plug my phone in to a wall charger (not sure about USB in to computer), the screen will wake up but instead of turning back off after the set amount of time (like Froyo did), it will remain on until I turn it off via the power button. I checked the development settings (where you turn on USB debugging) to verify that I did not set that setting myself, but it was not set. I don't know if this was how stock gingerbread straight from Sprint behaved as I flashed this ROM the second I had stock Gingerbread up and running.

Hmmm... maybe its related to the prior post about USB? Id ont know. Seems to be working for me just fine though.

Did you two do FULL system wipes before the install? I'll play around with it tonight and see if I can replicate. Although I cannot find a single bug yet and I went through it very finely before I posted the final link.

kingdavidbaker

Jan 7, 2011
www.kingdavidbaker.com

Ok... Thats strange. I cant say that I am having the same results but I will try to replicate and let you know what I find.

Eh that really isn't that strange. My phone does that and i'm running sROM on ZVD. If the comp doesn't have the drivers then of course it won't prompt for mass storage because it can't properly see the device. I don't know why the usb debugging affects the charging status though but I do have the same issue.

Edit: Oh but on comps that don't have the drivers I can sometimes get mass storage to pop op after disabling usb debugging.....and I should point out that I had this issue on other roms as well like clean and shell i believe.

Last edited:

scrosler

ROM Developer
Nov 30, 2010
Visit site

Eh that really isn't that strange. My phone does that and i'm running sROM on ZVD. If the comp doesn't have the drivers then of course it won't prompt for mass storage because it can't properly see the device. I don't know why the usb debugging affects the charging status though but I do have the same issue.

Hmmm... Strange. I'll play around tonight.

On a side note... The WiFi Tether in the Market does work fine with this ROM!

jbyers715

Nov 29, 2010
Visit site

I used to run Reborn and I would always get prompted for USB Storage and it would always charge. Same machine with no drivers.

ccrs8

Nov 19, 2010
Visit site

Thanks. That is still the file. The thread about it is here:
http://forums.androidcentral.com/lg...hacks/89699-mod-remap-your-hardware-keys.html

I followed the instructions in that thread and set the four physical buttons below the screen to NONE from their original setting of WAKE_DROPPED and rebooted, and now everything is good. Of course that will probably get overwritten next time I flash, so next I need to learn how to create a flashable .zip to make those changes easier.

Oops - I actually disabled those buttons completely, not just when the phone is asleep. Luckily root explorer makes automatic backups. Looks like I need to re-read that thread...

kingdavidbaker

Jan 7, 2011
www.kingdavidbaker.com

Oops - I actually disabled those buttons completely, not just when the phone is asleep. Luckily root explorer makes automatic backups. Looks like I need to re-read that thread...

I could be remembering incorrectly but I believe all you have to do is remove the "wake" or "wake_dropped" otherwise you are changing the actual function of that key.

ccrs8

Nov 19, 2010
Visit site

I could be remembering incorrectly but I believe all you have to do is remove the "wake" or "wake_dropped" otherwise you are changing the actual function of that key.

Yep - I downloaded some of the .zip files in that thread to take a look, and simply removing the existing values was enough - NONE was overkill. Now things are working great. Thanks!

ccrs8

Nov 19, 2010
Visit site

Renaming /system/sounds/poweron/PowerOn.mp3 to something else (I chose PowerOn.mp3_old) disabled the startup sound.

NARC0L3P5Y

Aug 20, 2011
Visit site

so i just flashed to this rom using these instructions:

How to Flash
Download ROM and place on the root of your SD Card
Boot into recovery mode
Wipe Data / Factory Reset
Flash ROM
Reboot and enjoy!

and the rom installed fine, but my phone cant connect to the sprint network now.... #Help:

:-\

Edit: I restored to my last nandroid backup so my phone works again, but what couldve caused the service to go out???

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kemberley1