ARCHIVED: [ROM] Shell ROM v2.2 (Google/Froyo experience) 7/24/11

Status
Not open for further replies.

kpfeiffer

Jan 5, 2011
Visit site
Flashed this ROM tonight and I must say, I am LOVING it!!! It's basic and simple...and best of all, it's FAST!

Thanks again Nick!

ccrs8

Nov 19, 2010
Visit site
1. Download Jota text editor on market.
2. type "sysrw" in terminal emulator.
3. open build.prop and edit value with Jota.
4. reboot.

Thanks. Actually, 'sysrw' in terminal emulator returns a "command not found" error, but I figured it was trying to mount the file system as read/write, which I could do in root explorer. And now I can stream my NPR station.

NicksOptimus

Feb 6, 2011
Visit site
Any ideas on why I cannot go into WIFI settings and turn hotspot on? When i do that, it force closes and then turns 3G off and I have to reboot it to get it back.

mrgay

Apr 10, 2011
Visit site
NickOptimus:

From first post:
"Todo:
- Enable native wifi tethering."

I hope it rolls out soon. =)

Question! When will the menu that pops up when you hold the power button have Reboot and Recovery options, also?

anon(92556)

Nov 27, 2010
Visit site
NickOptimus:

From first post:
"Todo:

Question! When will the menu that pops up when you hold the power button have Reboot and Recovery options, also?

Probably won't, since this is meant to be as vanilla as possible.

anon(92556)

Nov 27, 2010
Visit site
went back to stock kernel, battery life is back to normal. for some reason, with pickasticks, my battery wasn't lasting as long....and that was just with the kernel's default settings.

i must say, enabling hardware acceleration did help quite a bit with autocad ws on the phone though. it actually moves a lot smoother than it did with the stock rom.

now if i could figure out why the gingerbread theme isn't working 100% properly, i'd be in heaven. this rom rocks!

NicksOptimus

Feb 6, 2011
Visit site
NickOptimus:

From first post:
"Todo:

Hope that happens soon. For some strange reason, my tablet only recognizes the hotspot and not the wifi tether app.

ccrs8

Nov 19, 2010
Visit site
disable front buttons for screen wake

I didn't realize how many accidental pocket calls the ThundeROM/Nameless/Reborn "feature" of disabling the front button's ability to wake the screen was saving me until switching to this ROM. Is there any way to disable those buttons as options to wake the screen on this ROM (leaving the top power button as the only way to wake the screen)?

sblood86

Apr 12, 2011
Visit site
I didn't realize how many accidental pocket calls the ThundeROM/Nameless/Reborn "feature" of disabling the front button's ability to wake the screen was saving me until switching to this ROM. Is there any way to disable those buttons as options to wake the screen on this ROM (leaving the top power button as the only way to wake the screen)?

Totally, it's the same keyboard files for the most part just some slight differences, give me a few minutes to get my desktop back up as I was moving some things around and I can upload a flash for yall if noone beats me to it.

Edit: Wow that took a lot less time than I thought: here's the keypad from reborn rom I checked it against shell only differences I see are the buttons wake so give it a shot.

Drop reborn_keylayout.zip on your sd card.
reboot to recovery
make a nandroid
flash zip
reboot and enjoy

Edit 2: Ironically people were asking how to make all the buttons wake their phone on the reborn thread earlier ;)

Last edited:
Reactions: ccrs8

ccrs8

Nov 19, 2010
Visit site
Totally, it's the same keyboard files for the most part just some slight differences, give me a few minutes to get my desktop back up as I was moving some things around and I can upload a flash for yall if noone beats me to it.

Edit: Wow that took a lot less time than I thought: here's the keypad from reborn rom I checked it against shell only differences I see are the buttons wake so give it a shot.

Drop reborn_keylayout.zip on your sd card.
reboot to recovery
make a nandroid
flash zip
reboot and enjoy

Edit 2: Ironically people were asking how to make all the buttons wake their phone on the reborn thread earlier ;)

Awesome, thanks a ton! Works as advertised.

I just noticed the opposite request in the reborn thread as well. When it was introduced in ThundeROM, it wasn't a universally liked improvement to say the least. I personally didn't care either way, but at the time I wasn't having a problem with pocket calls. However, since changing from reborn to shell, I have been calling people left and right. Today a guy from Montana called me back, polite as could be. He thought he had missed a call, and since he lives in the middle of nowhere, he had to drive to the top of the hill to get decent enough reception to call me back. So even though he was super-nice, I felt terrible making him do that. Stupid pocket!

Anyway, thanks! Much appreciated.

Jouten

Apr 26, 2011
Visit site
I would love to see a stripped down, butt naked version of 2.3.4 for our Optimus S. I believe Nick could be the Chosen One to do it! ;-)

fatal99

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
I actually unmounted Reborn because the bottom buttons didn't wake it. My 15 month old daughter wouldn't know what to do if those buttons didn't work? I flashed Shell and absolutely LOVE it. Applied a theme to my liking and am completely happy. Thanks Nick7

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Xd3dp1gX