ARCHIVED: [ROM] Shell ROM v2.2 (Google/Froyo experience) 7/24/11

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nick7

Brick Master
Dec 3, 2010
Visit site
STOP and read the below
Prior to posting, please ensure you have read the rules for ROMs. Following these is not an option, it's a requirement both for developers and people using developers products.
STOP and read the above

[info]
This ROM was designed for those who enjoy the simple stock froyo interface. It has been stripped of anything Sprint or LG (with the exception of VVM) and has all the benefits of a custom ROM. Think of it as a Google experience Froyo.
[/info]

Standard Disclaimer:
We are not responsible for your device, SD cards, thermonuclear war, or the current economic crisis. Please do some research if you have any concerns about features included in this ROM before flashing it! YOU are choosing to make these modifications, we are simply making them available. - Steve Kondik

[warn]
Requirements:
Your phone must be rooted, have a custom recovery, and be running the VD baseband. No exceptions. Anything less and the ROM won't work properly. To check baseband Menu > Settings > About phone > Baseband version should end with VD. This is a ROM thread, any questions pertaining to rooting should go to the [How-To] root thread. If you are already rooted and just need to update your baseband, go to [Hot-To] Update Baseband.
[/warn]

Features/Changelog:
Code:
Shell ROM:
v2.2
+ Technical
       - various tweaks and improvements
       - fixed VPN issue
+ Application
       - re-added hotspot widget. oops!
       - updated gapps

+ Application
v2.1
+Technical
       - rebuilt ROM to fix first boot lag
+Application
       - png optimized all system applications
       - updated google maps

v2
+Technical
       - added my modified picasticks kernel with no-op i/o scheduler and smartass cpu governor set to default
       - updated tweaks script for battery life and performance
+Application
       - added hotspot widget - thanks Harold Muller

v1
+ Base
	- Built off VD ([URL="http://www.lg.com/global/support/opensource/opensource.jsp"]source[/URL])
	- removed bloatware ([URL="http://forum.androidcentral.com/lg-optimus-s-rooting-roms-hacks/78229-rom-nameless-rom-v1.html#post838626"]Sprint apps can be downloaded in post #2[/URL])
+ Technical
	- busybox
	- zipalign at boot
	- dalvik cache to cache mod
	- tweaks script
	- many build.prop edits (some values based off our existing work, some based off [URL="http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=12205635&postcount=1"]franciscofranco's work[/URL])
+ Other
        - Swype and visual voicemail placed in data for easy removal
	- voice control button mapped to call

Instructions to use ShellROM:
*MAKE A NANDROID BACKUP BEFORE FLASHING. THIS IS NOT AN OPTION.*

1. Download Shell ROM. Do not open it, do not extract it, do not rename it.
2. Place on root of sdcard.
2. Reboot to recovery.
3. Wipe data, cache, and dalvik-cache.
4. Flash ShellROM.
5. Reboot and enjoy!

Note: all themes ported to the Optimus S are compatible with this ROM. You can find them here

Todo:
- Enable native wifi tethering.

Credits & Thanks:
- Many credits are given in the changelog. Please take a moment and read them.
- The AndroidCentral Family

Donations:
Not expected but humbly accepted.

To Donate to Nick

Last edited:

athanos

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
I'm partial to a honeycomb theme as well. However, since this will be a froyo based rom you may want to just keep it froyo. We can always make a honeycomb theme for it. Make it as close to vanilla android as possible and then people can make 'modules' with different apps and themes so that people can make it how they want. I think the idea of barebones is a base which people can add to and customize to their liking. As far as apps go, I would only include the default apps that come with the android source. I would be more than happy to help make zips to add different things. You could easily have zips for different content, much like sprint id, but a lot better, lol.

mike9670

DROID Master
Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
Make it a Nexus Optimus-S as Sprint/Google would have made with the Optimus.

Bare bones Google. Nothing extra except tweaks to make the battery last. Stock Froyo launcher.

Anonamoose

Nov 26, 2010
Visit site
Make it a Nexus Optimus-S as Sprint/Google would have made with the Optimus.

Bare bones Google. Nothing extra except tweaks to make the battery last. Stock Froyo launcher.

I second this.... Every time I play with a nexus it's what I love about it... Nothing But Naked Google! :-$

Reactions: mike9670

jondevere

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
Alright, so this is going to be a extremely stripped down ROM that only has the essentials to run android. I will use our LG froyo as a base. The point of this ROM is to emphasize battery life, not speed.

So questions for you:

- What theme should it have? froyo, gingerbread, or honeycomb? I don't want to hear any other suggestions than these, it is going to have a stock feel.
- What stock apps are essential to you? email, maps, etc.

And anything else just post it here. I'll think of more questions but I'm uber late for class.
I would say to have all the stock apps except the bs sprint apps. Also I really like file expert and I love that unamedROM had it. Bring that back as a file manager. For the keyboard I would stick with ginger keyboard, with no soul, lol.. also i dont know if its possible but I LOVE THE GOOGLE CAR APP. Its on CM7 called car home. Super nice addition IMO. if you add much more, besides maybe wifi tether, than its really not stripped down. If I had to choose a theme or a feel for this rom.. I would make it Honeycomb S for the theme. Its still my favorite theme. As far as a name... I think it would be awesome to have a Jihad ROM, even tho it wont happen :) ok.. there is my $.02

dohmm

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
based on what is installed on the reborn rom by default i would get rid of latitude, places, roaming, google talk,any unnecessary widgets; and add google voice, and wifi hotspot widget,gingerbread keyboard with someone already mentioned, add the "power widget" in the status bar that looks like the cm7 one cause the reborn one is tacky in my opinion. and just a simple black and w/e color theme.

just my wishlist lol

sblood86

Apr 12, 2011
Visit site
Alright, so this is going to be a extremely stripped down ROM that only has the essentials to run android. I will use our LG froyo as a base. The point of this ROM is to emphasize battery life, not speed.

So questions for you:

- What theme should it have? froyo, gingerbread, or honeycomb? I don't want to hear any other suggestions than these, it is going to have a stock feel.
- What stock apps are essential to you? email, maps, etc.

And anything else just post it here. I'll think of more questions but I'm uber late for class.

Sounds awesome, I'd say put in the standard google apps, personally I wouldn't even put the standard email app in there but that's probably just me.

I agree with the other comments though, froyo based keep a froyo theme we can always modify it with modules etc.

As for the file manager though I use it a lot I expect others have personal preferences (ES explorer for example). Both being free on the market and not even slightly related to vanilla android I would leave them out.

Only other thing I can think of would be to remove the camera shutter click by default so we don't have to do it after it's flashed but other people may not agree with that :D

Either way keep up the good work and if you need someone to test something let me know, stability doesn't bother me a bit. Anything software related can always be fixed.

ashleysreyes

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
I'm voting for whichever theme would give the best performance at its bare minimum. Dont know which that would be?? Im assuming Froyo?

As for apps I use all the time...email, messaging, maps(latitude), browser, camera, calculator, Everything else...I can pretty much download an app for it. =)

athanos

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
I'm voting for whichever theme would give the best performance at its bare minimum. Dont know which that would be?? Im assuming Froyo?

Theming should not reduce performance or battery life in any way because it is mainly just image changes and maybe some xml changes for text color, etc.

Someone mentioned earlier Car Home. The app can be downloaded from the market. Just do a search for Google Inc and all of the google apps will be there for you to download.

It was also mentioned to include the power widget in the notification drop down. In my opinion this should not be included. I feel that an addition like that could be done with a separate zip for those who like it. It isn't part of stock android and I vote to not include it.

Just my 2 cents.

jin5

Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
since i dont use the gmail program, i'd leave that out (if possible). i think it can be installed via the market anyways. this is barebone so anything that can be installed via the market should be left out imo.

thanks!

athanos

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
I still think the point is no frills Nexus Optimus-S Android

I agree. Bare-Bones is exactly that, bare without extras. Many roms that I have run I find myself removing stuff I don't use and would much rather add the stuff I do.

I think jin555 is right. If an app is available in the market, don't include it (except superuser of course, lol).

twigge

Feb 28, 2011
Visit site
I agree. Bare-Bones is exactly that, bare without extras. Many roms that I have run I find myself removing stuff I don't use and would much rather add the stuff I do.

I think jin555 is right. If an app is available in the market, don't include it (except superuser of course, lol).

I agree with this as well. If it can be found in the market as a free app, leave it out of the rom. I personally use Root Uninstaller to remove anything and everything I do not use. Give us enough for the ROM to boot to android and for us to be able to use our phones. After that apps can be added as per the individual users desire.

picasticks

Feb 28, 2011
Visit site
I agree with this as well. If it can be found in the market as a free app, leave it out of the rom. I personally use Root Uninstaller to remove anything and everything I do not use. Give us enough for the ROM to boot to android and for us to be able to use our phones. After that apps can be added as per the individual users desire.

Although it seems counterintuitive, it actually saves you space on the /data partition (space for more apps) if the ROM puts more stuff into /system. This is why Ksmith for example updates the copy of Maps that's in /system and puts FOSS things like SuperUser there ... that way you don't have to download and have them take up space in /data. (This strategy also only works with apps that don't update frequently ... so for example it would never work with TiBackup.)

I agree with what you are saying though, not to pack the ROM with add-ons and let the user decide.

jondevere

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
Ok.. I do agree as well. But a must is the Gingerbread Keyboard like I mentioned before. Everything else IS possible to get on your own. So honeycomb S theme.. and what would be nice is a purdy gingerbread keyboard skin. Like the CM7 version of honeycomb S. I know jasonevil knows whats up with that ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Xd3dp1gX