[How-To] SetCPU profiles

KSmithInNY

#winning
Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
I figured I'd document a fairly comprehensive profile setup in SetCPU to save battery but keep the phone acting snappy as ever.

[Warn] CM7 users!! You need to make sure Menu>Settings>Cyanogenmod settings>Performance>CPU - "Set on boot" is not checked! If this is checked, please uncheck it, reboot the phone, then proceed.[/warn]

Prereqs:
- Phone must be rooted
- You need the SetCPU app. There are 2 ways to obtain the app. The first is to buy it from the market. Yes, this costs money BUT your supporting a developer of an awesome app and anytime he updates said app you get notified through the market and can easily install the newest version. The second way to obtain the app is free from the developers thread on XDA.
- Make a fresh NAND backup of your phone (just in case you get crazy)
- An OC-able processor is suggested otherwise you need to adjust some numbers based on your phones inability to OC

Concept:
What we're going to do is setup specific scenarios which will control your CPU. These scenarios can be based on performance, battery saving, or general protection of your device. The profiles I am going to describe below are a mixture of these three things.

How-To setup profiles
- Open SetCPU
- Grant it SU permission
- Click the profiles tab
- Click enable profiles then click add profile
- Make your screen look like this (explanation/description below)
snap20110708_130114.png
snap20110708_130123.png

• The first profile is to protect your phone from ... YOU! If the device gets to hot, it will automatically scale the processor down to allow it to cool. Once it cools it will obey the profile it would typically follow. This is the highest priority profile which is why it's at the top of the list. This profile will take priority over any other profile which is a good thing.
  • The second is to save battery while the screen is off. This will lock the CPU between these lower frequencies when the screen is off, using less mv, resulting in less battery usage. Think about it like this, do you need your phone to scale to 748MHz just to receive a text then of course scale all the way back down? No!
  • The next is for when the phone is charging. This includes USB and AC charging. The first 2 rules we discussed above have a higher priority so the phone will obey them first, but where this charging profile comes in to play is, even if you have 10% battery once you plug your phone into a charging source it will then be allowed to freely scale back up to 748. Without a charging profile the phone would stay locked at whatever frequency it's told to follow by a battery % profile.
  • Our first battery profile!!! I'm going to go really in depth and explain how this works in hopes it gives you a better idea on priorities. I will not do this for the rest of the battery profiles but the concept is the same.

What this profile means is ... When the phone is cooler than 104 degrees F, and the screen is on, is not plugged into an AC or USB power source, and has less than 10% battery remaining to set it so the CPU can only scale between 480 and 480.

What i just did was type out exactly how the phone views profiles based on priority. It's first priority is to protect from heat. It's second is to save battery when the screen is off. It's 3rd is to increase performance while charging, and finally it considered percentage of battery left. Hope that helps.
  • The rest are all battery profiles by reading my above description, they should make sense.

Of course these numbers are all dependent on your preference and your device. If you prefer to clock up to 768, make the necessary adjustments to your profiles. If you want to have the phone clock up to 748 while on AC power and only 729 while on USB power, make the necessary adjustments. This list is not the end all be all. It's very organic and very user dependent. My goal was to provide a pretty good setup for those who do not know all the in's and out's.

Enjoy.

EDIT - For those that may be curious, my phone was unplugged at 6:00am and has been used to browse, moderate forums :p, gtalk, send and receive about 10 emails, couple calls, few calendar reminder events ... what i consider standard usage. The battery was at 79% at 1pm so with all that usage i averaged 3% per hour and that while OC'ed to 25% higher than standard running CPU not too shabby

Last edited:

fatal99

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
I've been using No-frills CPU control which has been pretty easy, but the idea of setting up profiles for different scenarios seems brilliant. I may have to try SetCPU. Thanks!

blackops1125

Advisor
Mar 19, 2011
Visit site
I been using setcpu since I first started with android phones. The last couple of updates from them are buggy. The widget does not update correctly the MHz. I just switched to CPU Master for root users, basically them same but widget shows correct information.

sent from my Reborn Optimus

KSmithInNY

#winning
Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
What's the minimum clockspeed needed for a phone call?

Not sure but it shouldn't take too much experimenting to find out. Turn off profiles, on the main tab lock the min and max at the same speed (320 for example) and test phone call inbound, outbound, and stability on call.

KSmithInNY

#winning
Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
Smartass is interactive + a built in screen off profile. By using smartass with these profiles you will likely cause contention between setcpu and the gov. I'd avoid it as the profiles have an assigned priority but the gov doesn't so it would probably cause a back and forth struggle for control.

Hope that makes sense and helps.

Metaphor.

Jan 20, 2011
Visit site
Smartass is interactive + a built in screen off profile. By using smartass with these profiles you will likely cause contention between setcpu and the gov. I'd avoid it as the profiles have an assigned priority but the gov doesn't so it would probably cause a back and forth struggle for control.

Hope that makes sense and helps.

Yeah, it made sense. Now these profiles are activated when the settings you have configured meet, on the main page of SetCPU the scaling bars don't move around. Is it still working?

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
w8wca