New to rooting..what are some of the first things I should ..

Magicman08

May 4, 2011
Visit site
Titanium Backup is a must. Market enabler is fun to play around with. Data2ext was a lifesaver for me. Root explorer or another root file manager.

Themes...

Sent from my LG-LS670 using Tapatalk

blackops1125

Advisor
Mar 19, 2011
Visit site
Do you plan on installing a custom recocery? A custom rom? If so then you want to install titanium backup, then backup all you apps and data. Then install custom recovery. I would suggest Xionia recovery. Once that is installed do a nandroid backup ( should always do a nandroid backup before flashing anything). Once that is done flash a custom Rom (I would suggest Reborn Rom 2.2.2)
sent from my Reborn Optimus

basketthis

Nov 22, 2010
Visit site
On the contrary, I would recommend the gingerbread cm7 built by ath3nos... While reborn rom is very nice, the gingerbread cm7 build gives many options that aren't available in reborn. Reborn is built from a stock build of the rom and naturally limits certain things... If you plan to have lots of apps you can look into data2sd which allows me however much of my SD card I choose to use for my internal memory. I believe there is more options for themes available for reborn rom as its been around awhile longer.

blackops1125

Advisor
Mar 19, 2011
Visit site
Reborn at the moment has less glitches, although I admit the new cm7 is coming along nicely.
How ever for a beginner I would suggest reborn.

basketthis

Nov 22, 2010
Visit site
Reborn at the moment has less glitches, although I admit the new cm7 is coming along nicely.
How ever for a beginner I would suggest reborn.

Depends on what you consider glitches. Remember running Netflix on reborn still produces the green bar. That's a major glitch that I couldn't wait go get rid of. I honestly can't think of any glitch I have with ath3nos cm7 rom. It runs very smooth and would even run smooth for a beginner ;)

Donx510

Feb 5, 2011
Visit site
Well, Titanium Backup is a must, and I'm running on a Reborn ROM but might switch over to CM7 Gingerbread. If you plan on going further, get a recovery, make a nandroid and backup all your apps and run a custom ROM. SetCPU is a great choice also to control your cpu speed and battery life

blackops1125

Advisor
Mar 19, 2011
Visit site
We do not condon stealing of interlectual property! If a app has a price the Dev should be paid! That is grounds for being banned !

Last edited:

InsightGoalie

Jul 8, 2011
Visit site
I am not so new to rooting, new to the board though. I've rooted plenty of other devices. You say CM7 is stable for use? That's my personal fav on other phones. Is there a good overclock kernel for the phone? There is data2sd, but is there an apps2sd? And I'm assuming the data2sd uses the symlink ext partition method.

basketthis

Nov 22, 2010
Visit site
I am not so new to rooting, new to the board though. I've rooted plenty of other devices. You say CM7 is stable for use? That's my personal fav on other phones. Is there a good overclock kernel for the phone? There is data2sd, but is there an apps2sd? And I'm assuming the data2sd uses the symlink ext partition method.

Use ath3nos build for cm7. You wont need apps2sd if you're using data2sd. Data2sd uses your partition as internal memory, so you could still use apps2sd but pointless IMO when I have a gig of free internal memory... I've posted links to the site on how to do it all over. I'll see if I can find it for you.

EDIT: here you go:
http://forum.androidcentral.com/lg-...m7-gingerbread-7-9-2011-a-39.html#post1085773

InsightGoalie

Jul 8, 2011
Visit site
Use ath3nos build for cm7. You wont need apps2sd if you're using data2sd. Data2sd uses your partition as internal memory, so you could still use apps2sd but pointless IMO when I have a gig of free internal memory... I've posted links to the site on how to do it all over. I'll see if I can find it for you.

EDIT: here you go:
http://forum.androidcentral.com/lg-...m7-gingerbread-7-9-2011-a-39.html#post1085773

I've seen that thread. I'm rooting some one elses phone. Would that ROM be stable enough for a regular user? Does that ROM come with an over clocked kernel?

Apps2sd I meant the ext method. I'm used to the N1 and it's 80mb of free space with apps2ext and data2ext... If there is a gig free after data2sd that is plenty.

basketthis

Nov 22, 2010
Visit site
I've seen that thread. I'm rooting some one elses phone. Would that ROM be stable enough for a regular user? Does that ROM come with an over clocked kernel?

Apps2sd I meant the ext method. I'm used to the N1 and it's 80mb of free space with apps2ext and data2ext... If there is a gig free after data2sd that is plenty.

Its very stable. Read through some of the latter part of the thread. It is now being ported to other optimus phones due to popularity and dev support. There are still some small kinks to workout with Bluetooth and a couple other things. I would recommend it for someone who is more familiar with this community and flashing. And yes it can be overclocked.

Reborn rom has Bluetooth etc working and is very noob friendly with alot of theme options. I would recommend that in this case and use the native apps2sd. Data2sd does not work with reborn at this time. This rom is overclocked by default and can be changed with cputuner.

EDIT: AF huah

EDIT #2: On the cm7 rom, you can format as much of the sdcard as you want. This amount will be used for the internal memory. ;)

Last edited:

InsightGoalie

Jul 8, 2011
Visit site
Its very stable. Read through some of the latter part of the thread. It is now being ported to other optimus phones due to popularity and dev support. There are still some small kinks to workout with Bluetooth and a couple other things. I would recommend it for someone who is more familiar with this community and flashing. And yes it can be overclocked.

Reborn rom has Bluetooth etc working and is very noob friendly with alot of theme options. I would recommend that in this case and use the native apps2sd. Data2sd does not work with reborn at this time. This rom is overclocked by default and can be changed with cputuner.

EDIT: AF huah

EDIT #2: On the cm7 rom, you can format as much of the sdcard as you want. This amount will be used for the internal memory. ;)

A fellow SysAd is asking me why she would want to root the phone. I was offering overclock as a reason. I'll have to find out if she uses her bluetooth much.

basketthis

Nov 22, 2010
Visit site
A fellow SysAd is asking me why she would want to root the phone. I was offering overclock as a reason. I'll have to find out if she uses her bluetooth much.

Better battery life, etc. I like the option to theme and so does my wife. And I use my custom rom to increase my internal storage to 1gb. I also like having Netflix on my phone :)

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
unirockers