Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By scrosler
  • 1 Post By btgoodlin
  • 2 Post By btgoodlin
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    55 Global Posts
    ROM
    Bonsai 4.1.3

Default What is root # shell?

I'm trying to root this LG Optimus S, hello forum.
    My experience is with the Samsung Epic - the root was quite easy there, no command line, same with the ROMs so I am lost here.

I'm in the midst of trying to install the custom recovery Xionia
    ----------------
    To flash: via adb shell or terminal type this from root # shell

Quote:
    # mount -o remount,rw -t yaffs2 /dev/block/mtdblock5 /system
    # cat /sdcard/flash_image > /system/bin/flash_image
    # chmod 755 /system/bin/flash_image
    # mv /system/etc/install-recovery.sh /system/etc/install-recovery.sh.bak
    # mount -o remount,ro -t yaffs2 /dev/block/mtdblock5 /system
    # flash_image recovery /sdcard/xionia_cwma_12518.6.img
    # reboot recovery
    ----------------------------------

What the crap does that mean? Sorry, but I cant seem to make that work in my terminal.

Windows 7
    run cmd.exe, right?

Thanks for the help - and not laughing at me too much.

Global Posts
    1,480 Global Posts
    ROM
    AOSP!!!

Default Re: The crap is root # shell?

Read this link: [Ref] Optimus S Recoveries, ROMs, Kernels, and Themes
    Reading is the most important thing in this whole process. Don't just jump to a conclusion and say anything based on previous experiences.
    "Th- th- thinking of a master plan"
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Global Posts
    55 Global Posts
    ROM
    Bonsai 4.1.3

Unhappy Re: The crap is root # shell?

Quote Originally Posted by basketthis View Post
    Read this link: [Ref] Optimus S Recoveries, ROMs, Kernels, and Themes
    Reading is the most important thing in this whole process. Don't just jump to a conclusion and say anything based on previous experiences.
    Well yeah. I started on that page. I does not explain my question or direct me to any answer.

Custom Recovery INFORMATION:
    Custom Recoveries are what is used to make backup images of your phone, referred to as nand backups, and also used to flash custom ROMs, kernels, themes, and some other tweaks. You must have a custom recovery if you intend on flashing anything. The stock LG recovery will only flash zips made and signed by LG.

Recovery Name:Xionia Clockwork
    Developer: Zefie
    Summary: This is a recovery image based off the work of Koushik Dutta.

ROM
    Revo DeCrap 1.1

Search further on adb and adb shell

this is in no way detailed and or fully correct, but as a basic understanding:

in order to do certain things on your android device, you need to adbshell into the phone. root shell is "administrative" rights/access. normally, when you run command prompt, and type adbshell and hit enter, the command line has a $ prompt. to get to root shell, you have to type su to get a # prompt.

terribly missing a million pieces, basic starting point, typing on a phone, have fun :-)

sometimes root isn't the answer

Sent from my VS910 4G using Tapatalk
    Last edited by S.Meezy; 07-19-2011 at 01:39 AM.
    Phones are my drug of choice
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Global Posts
    55 Global Posts
    ROM
    Bonsai 4.1.3

Default Re: What is root # shell?

Well, I found the adb shell.
    I copied and pasted the quoted text above and it added a bunch of extra # and $'s and my phone did nothing?

I'm making progress- but would some help me out so I could get to sleep soon?
    I have been reading through this forum for over 2 hours, so basketthis can bite me and get back to playing Starcraft.
    My reference: How To: adb for Windows the Easy Way

Global Posts
    1,480 Global Posts
    ROM
    AOSP!!!

Don't copy the #. Just type the command portion...
    "Th- th- thinking of a master plan"
    ROM Developer

ROM
    Many

Quote Originally Posted by btgoodlin View Post

Well, I found the adb shell.
    I copied and pasted the quoted text above and it added a bunch of extra # and $'s and my phone did nothing?

I'm making progress- but would some help me out so I could get to sleep soon?
    I have been reading through this forum for over 2 hours, so basketthis can bite me and get back to playing Starcraft.
    My reference: How To: adb for Windows the Easy Way
    When you copy and paste in the commands make sure you are not copying and pasting the '#' and make sure you do each line one at a time.
    Also, before you enter any of the commands type "SU" and then press enter. Your prompt should change from "$" to "#" Also, very important, when yo do the "SU" command the super user app one the phone will prompt to grant SU permission. Make sure your phone is on and unlocked at at the home screen so you dont miss that.

EDIT: Dont feel bad... They left out those "tiny" bits of information in the recovery posting. They assume a certain level of knowledge that not every one has. You would think that if you are posting something like this you would include the fine detail... But that takes the fun out of learning ;c)
    Last edited by scrosler; 07-19-2011 at 01:52 AM.
    Thanked by:
    btgoodlin likes this.
    ROM Developer

ROM
    Many

Quote Originally Posted by basketthis View Post
    Don't copy the #. Just type the command portion...
    He needs SU first...
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  

Global Posts
    55 Global Posts
    ROM
    Bonsai 4.1.3

Progress, phone rebooted into recovery - but the original LG recovery. Time to go back and double check the files are in the right place.
    Thanks for the
    SU and adb help.

ROM
    Revo DeCrap 1.1

Looking quickly at the pic, did u do each line one by one or put a whole bunch together?

Phones are my drug of choice
  11. Thread Author  Thread Author    #11  

Global Posts
    55 Global Posts
    ROM
    Bonsai 4.1.3

Quote Originally Posted by S.Meezy View Post
    Looking quickly at the pic, did u do each line one by one or put a whole bunch together?

I did do the whole thing all at once, that wasn't working. That was pointed out to just copy one line at a time, leave out the # - the cmd/adb program will add the # or $ to the lines as you go through. I hope my screen shot below will be of some help to any future person

That is what it should look like if it is done correctly.
    You type/past the "mount -o remount,rw -t yaffs2 /dev/block/mtdblock5 /system" in front of the # and hit enter, the system will then repost what you just typed, wait a second for the command to process, then supply you with a new # to type/past the next line.

http://forums.androidcentral.com/lg-...overy-etc.html

You're welcome

edit (disclaimer): that's the quick and dirty (in the sense that you are not learning anything and you will most probably screw up later) solution to your problem
    Thanked by:
  13. Thread Author  Thread Author    #13  

Global Posts
    55 Global Posts
    ROM
    Bonsai 4.1.3

I wanted to install that ROM, but this is my wife's phone and she didn't like it. She wanted the Reborn ROM.
    I can't help but wonder if you were trying to insult me with the 'people like you' comment or that I'm just tired and done thinking for the day.

You know, not everyone is born with the knowledge of command line code. Most people have to figure it out and start from somewhere. I'm sorry if I foolishly assumed that this forum would include more step-by-step directions to help those who may be new to the Android experience.

Thanks to a the majority of you who helped me get this figured out. Geez, all this, three hours just so my wife could have wireless tether?! She owes me big time!

EDIT: Seems the fellow who got snippy with me deleted his post.
    Last edited by btgoodlin; 07-19-2011 at 02:33 AM.
    ROM Developer

ROM
    Many

Progress, phone rebooted into recovery - but the original LG recovery. Time to go back and double check the files are in the right place.
    Thanks for the
    SU and adb help.
    Hit the Thanks button
    ROM Developer

ROM
    Many

Thanks to a the majority of you who helped me get this figured out. Geez, all this, three hours just so my wife could have wireless tether?! She owes me big time!
    You didint need to flash the custom recovery to get wireless tether. You could have just rooted then installed the wireless tether app from the market. The recovery is only for custom ROMs and making back ups.

EDIT: Dont worry about people around here... Some of them can be very condescending... Just ignore them.

so, did you manage to do it? update!

@scrosler: It's good for him to have a stock rom nandroid eitherway. But wasn't a problem with tethering and ZVD -it's been so long
    Last edited by memsman; 07-19-2011 at 02:38 AM. Reason: scr
  17. Thread Author  Thread Author    #17  

Global Posts
    55 Global Posts
    ROM
    Bonsai 4.1.3

Quote Originally Posted by scrosler View Post
    You didint need to flash the custom recovery to get wireless tether. You could have just rooted then installed the wireless tether app from the market. The recovery is only for custom ROMs and making back ups.

EDIT: Dont worry about people around here... Some of them can be very condescending... Just ignore them.
    Aye, but that is like buying a new car and only driving it around your block. I figure, why not do it all. I gotta earn those husband points.
    Jessicalt1 likes this.

...even better now that you have the supercharging option (overclock).

but don't let the optimus get between you two
  19. Thread Author  Thread Author    #19  

Global Posts
    55 Global Posts
    ROM
    Bonsai 4.1.3

Quote Originally Posted by memsman View Post
    so, did you manage to do it? update!

@scrosler: It's good for him to have a stock rom nandroid eitherway. But wasn't a problem with tethering and ZVD -it's been so long
    Yes, and I even installed the pretty pink theme for her. now im downloading all the apps and restoring her 1539 text messages. haha
    Jessicalt1 and sblood86 like this.
    Lover of all things Andi

Global Posts
    485 Global Posts
    ROM
    MikRunny v1.01

Yes, and I even installed the pretty pink theme for her. now im downloading all the apps and restoring her 1539 text messages. haha
    Husband of the day! I did the whole kit and kaboodle on the hubby's EVO and all I got was complaints!
    Just another crazy Andi lover
    Have you been helped? "Thank" the person who helped you!! Don't be stingy!

i keep getting permission denied and superuser isnt coming up so i dont know what the hell to do

sorry when i do adb shell then try the su