Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Question Help w/ Theming Google Search - Black

I'm running Reborn Rom and trying to change my Google Search to a Black Google Search that I saw on XDA from someone's theme. I was able to port the apk using the same method used for theming and flashed the app to my phone and the app still works the same, but the visuals are off. I've attached a screenshot of what it looks like now.

The searchbox is twice the size, but the google Icon is ok. I don't know if I need to edit a file because I have tried resizing the images, but that's when I run into problems. If I resize the image then i start to get errors.

I can't actually share this with anyone after it's complete cause in all honesty I'm doing this for myself and don't want to take credit for what someone else has already made, BUT I'm hoping somoene can at least give me a few tips and/or tricks on how to make this work. Hoping to evntually make something I can take credit for, but I'm still in the learning process.

If anyone is wondering, I can't just flash the orignal Black Google Search APK because it's made for a phone that uses hdpi and there are not mdpi files in the apk (which is why i had to port it).

Any advice is welcome unless it's not contructive, in which case I don't care
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Help w/ Theming Google Search - Black-screenshot.png  

Default Re: Help w/ Theming Google Search - Black

Why dont you just change the one that IS for our phone? That one WILL have mdpi files and no possible issues with porting it. Its probably just png files that you need to edit... but I dont have time to verify that for you.

ROM
    kraven cm7/CM9

I'd love to have my voice search button that big. But if you can find the size in mdpi and resize to that, then check for 9.png errors. Other option is to just work with our mdpi files and color to your liking
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

Both very valid suggestions. Very simple and "wish i would of thought of that" moment, but I like it. I think the reason I didnt edit the original files that came with the rom is because i wanted to get the same feel as the one there, but I can probably make a nice black one also. If I change the color I'll share it with you all (if you want).

Its always good to have something different. Everyone has diff taste but I am positive someone would use it if your work is posted. Feel free to ask any questions on themin'. Everyone here is very helpful and know a lot.

ROM
    Cyanogenmod 7/scott Pilgr

This is my Google search tab but its part of a theme. I personally use a lot of black to try to save battery. If I didn't have this I'd definitely download a black search bar

Sent from my LS670 using Tapatalk

Edit: can't upload image. Even though its .png I'm being told it's a invalid format
    Last edited by dizzle16; 07-19-2011 at 03:05 PM.
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

Thanks! I feel inspired now to create this. I'll post anything I come up with
    AC Forums Android Developer

ROM
    aosp - JellyBean

Quote Originally Posted by edgarzonjr View Post
    Thanks! I feel inspired now to create this. I'll post anything I come up with
    I have themed this app for our phone, but wanted to see if you were still planning on doing one yourself. If not I will post mine, but you have first dibs on releasing yours if you want to.

I'll post some screenies if you'd like to see it. Just let me know. Happy theming to ya.

EDIT: On second thought, I have decided to go ahead and post the one I themed in our Theme_Team thread. I'd like to thank you for the idea for this theme, and if I can be of any assistance to you feel free to PM me.
    Last edited by jstntp; 07-21-2011 at 01:41 AM.
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  

Quote Originally Posted by jstntp View Post
    I have themed this app for our phone, but wanted to see if you were still planning on doing one yourself. If not I will post mine, but you have first dibs on releasing yours if you want to.

I'll post some screenies if you'd like to see it. Just let me know. Happy theming to ya.

EDIT: On second thought, I have decided to go ahead and post the one I themed in our Theme_Team thread. I'd like to thank you for the idea for this theme, and if I can be of any assistance to you feel free to PM me.
    Thanks again. Yeah I'm trying to theme this black one and have been able to edit some of the files and all seems well, but when I repack it and flash it it looks crazy. Am I supposed to be editing an xml file or something? I'm too new to the whole theming situation so I don't know what else is needed. Any ideas? I'll put a screenshot if you think that will help.
    AC Forums Android Developer

ROM
    aosp - JellyBean

Quote Originally Posted by edgarzonjr View Post
    Thanks again. Yeah I'm trying to theme this black one and have been able to edit some of the files and all seems well, but when I repack it and flash it it looks crazy. Am I supposed to be editing an xml file or something? I'm too new to the whole theming situation so I don't know what else is needed. Any ideas? I'll put a screenshot if you think that will help.
    Ya, post a screenshot. If you are editing .9.png files (especially without decompiling) they can cause problems. Even after decompiling the apk, you have to be very careful how you edit those.

Global Posts
    5 Global Posts

Not sure where you guys are at with this but thought you might be interesting in a new black Google search app by bGoog.com that's on Google Play:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.bgoog.android.search