Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By jeffersonparker
  • 1 Post By acromack
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Error downloading insufficient space on the device

I have a rooted Optimus S with Reborn 2.2.4. When I try to download apps from the market, I get an error saying that "There is insufficient space on the device." I have 54mb internal and 2.4gb on the sd card. What could cause this error?
    Azryn Ryn Wie likes this.

ROM
    Rooted Jellybean, CM 7.2

Default Re: Error downloading insufficient space on the device

Quote Originally Posted by jeffersonparker View Post
    I have a rooted Optimus S with Reborn 2.2.4. When I try to download apps from the market, I get an error saying that "There is insufficient space on the device." I have 54mb internal and 2.4gb on the sd card. What could cause this error?
    You are out of cache space... downloads from market goto /cache in memory

In the Reborn ROMs - it does a process to move the /data/dalvik-cache location to /cache/dalvik-cache

That gives you more room for installs.

However, dalvik cache fills up - there are certain files auto created everytime you install a new app.

If you've done a lot of installs/un-installs, Titanium backup or some others can cleanup dalvik-cache.

You can also try reboot to recovery, wipe -> dalvik-cache or wipe -> cache then reboot

The next reboot will take a long time, because it has to re-create those files, but it will come up.

Once you do that wipe of the cache, see if you can download the app.

If you can't - you have to un-install some stuff - you got too many things installed on your phone.

Maybe someone has to find a tweak for dalvik-cache -> /sdcard/dalvik-cache
    Soylent Green Is People!
    Sprint - Samsung Galaxy S3 --- Rooted, Tweaked, & Obfuscated
    Jellybomb Domination 20.7.0 with all bloat removed - Philz Touch Recovery 6.0
    KToons 11/4/13 TW Kernel -- MK3 Modem/Radio -- PRL 25016
    Thanked by:
    voghan 

I have gotten an "Insufficient memory available" when trying to install something that I had before but had lost due to wiping the sdext partition but I could install much bigger apps from the market. It was because a file was hanging around from the previous install. I'm not sure if it was in cache or data or both. But deleting it allowed the app to install. Probably not the case here, but something to keep in mind for future reference.

ROM
    CM10 (Deck) 10/29

I've been looking into moving dalvik-cache to sd card, specifically to an sd-ext partition as ext3 (I think). I have the partition, but am stuck on the rest right now. I'm going to try again tonight maybe to figure it out, because this too is super annoying to me. If I have any luck I'll post back. I was hoping someone here has already been successful with it so I didn't have to kill my brain trying to understand it.

As it stands right now, moving dalvik-cache from /data to /cache is pretty easy (or can be). Just create a symlink at /data/dalvik-cache pointing to /cache/dalvik-cache. There's also a way of creating an actual link in the boot.img that points directly to /cache/dalvik-cache, which I think is where the change needs to be implemented in order to move it to /sd-ext. Maybe. I really have very little clue, but might as well give it a try...
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Quote Originally Posted by acromack View Post
    I've been looking into moving dalvik-cache to sd card, specifically to an sd-ext partition as ext3 (I think). I have the partition, but am stuck on the rest right now. I'm going to try again tonight maybe to figure it out, because this too is super annoying to me. If I have any luck I'll post back. I was hoping someone here has already been successful with it so I didn't have to kill my brain trying to understand it.

As it stands right now, moving dalvik-cache from /data to /cache is pretty easy (or can be). Just create a symlink at /data/dalvik-cache pointing to /cache/dalvik-cache. There's also a way of creating an actual link in the boot.img that points directly to /cache/dalvik-cache, which I think is where the change needs to be implemented in order to move it to /sd-ext. Maybe. I really have very little clue, but might as well give it a try...
    Thanks for the tips. I wiped the dalvik-cache in recovery mode. I got an error that indicates "E:Can't Mount /dev/block/mmcblk0p2 (No such file or directory)." It looked like from searching on that error it is not something that I should be concerned about. I also cleared the cache, and I uninstalled about fifteen apps. Unfortunately, none of this has addressed the error. I don't have a problem with installing from the Amazon store or from apk files directly.

Thanks

ROM
    CM10 (Deck) 10/29

Thanks for the tips. I wiped the dalvik-cache in recovery mode. I got an error that indicates "E:Can't Mount /dev/block/mmcblk0p2 (No such file or directory)." It looked like from searching on that error it is not something that I should be concerned about. I also cleared the cache, and I uninstalled about fifteen apps. Unfortunately, none of this has addressed the error. I don't have a problem with installing from the Amazon store or from apk files directly.

Thanks
    It has that error because it's looking for dalvik-cache in the /data partition, when it's already been moved to /cache. So clearing cache will also clear dalvik. As for the problem still persisting, you probably just didn't remove the apps that have the largest dalvik-cache files. I tried getting apps2sd to work last night, but ended up in a boot loop. If I can get a build of CM7 that *doesn't* move dalvik-cache to /cache, and instead leaves it in /data, then maybe I can get this to work.

ROM
    CM9 Alpha5 ZVD

I think we just need to uninstall new market and install the old, never had a problem with it, for some reason new market uses up all download cache quick and u cany download anymore, let us know if anyone knows how to fix

Sent from my LS670 using Tapatalk

ROM
    CM10 (Deck) 10/29

Quote Originally Posted by glitchsta View Post
    I think we just need to uninstall new market and install the old, never had a problem with it, for some reason new market uses up all download cache quick and u cany download anymore, let us know if anyone knows how to fix

I had the problem with old market, too. Download cache is only 2kb for me, while dalvik is 84mb. And cache as a whole is almost always at least 95% full. I think we know what the culprit is, here...

ROM
    CM9 Alpha5 ZVD

Problem is with reborn 2.2.4 I uninstall updates and its still the new market, wondering how to remove new and replace with old to see if it fixes it..?

ROM
    CM10 (Deck) 10/29

You could always pull out the apk from an old nandroid you made (assuming you made one...)
    briangnyc#AC likes this.

ROM
    CM10 (Deck) 10/29

Hey, good news -- I was able to successfully move dalvik-cache to /sd-ext. I have to head out now, though, so I'll review my work and do a bit of a write-up either later today or tonight. This is really promising..

ROM
    CM9 Alpha5 ZVD

Nice, unlimited dalvik space sounds nice, wonder how it will effect performance, but definitely worth a try...

ROM
    CM10 (Deck) 10/29

Quote Originally Posted by glitchsta View Post
    Nice, unlimited dalvik space sounds nice, wonder how it will effect performance, but definitely worth a try...

performance will be dependent upon your sd card, which should be a class 4 at the very minimum to do this mod. I have a class 10 4gb card and my performance is just as good if not better. Might also be the smartass cpu governor, but either way it's working flawlessly. I'll have a write up on it tonight when I'm home from work.
  14. Thread Author  Thread Author    #14  

I loaded the CleanROM and the market is generally working. I like the RebornROM better, but I am not committed to one. I must not have completely wiped Reborn, since I get both the Sprint splash and the Reborn splash when booting up.

ROM
    CM9 Alpha5 ZVD

Can't wait to load the mod up on my class 10 16gig card! Thanks

ROM
    CM10 (Deck) 10/29

Alright, I've outlined the process in a new thread here:

Moving data and dalvik-cache to sd card to fix market issues

I couldn't be happier with the results

ROM
    Drew's CM7, Reborn 2.2.4

I have had the same issues. But there is a few things that are confusing to me.
    one is SD ext. I created one when I got a newer SD card but don't know how to find out what
    is on the SD ext that I created. I know there is SD ext 1, 2, 3, 4. But what are differences are there between them.
    Also I cleared dalvik but my internal memory stayed the same (cleared 4mb on titanium and stayed around 21 mb.
    can you create a SD ext on an existing card without reformating.
    what settings are recommended for SD ext sizes and settings.

I know this is a lot of questions but trying to get a good understanding

I have also noticed that clearing cache and dalvik makes no difference on internal free mb

Thanks! I had the same error, a bogus insufficient space error. Cleaning up the Dalvik Cache with Titanium Backup fixed it.

I am on an Optimus S. I am running the last Ath3nos build of CM7. Now if I can figure out why apps can't find my GPS, everything will be wonderful.
    Check out the great rock music on my indie record label at http://131records.com