First time flashing a ROM!

brittiny

Jul 27, 2011
Visit site
So I am a total noobie and I have absolutely no clue what I am doing here!! I did manage to root my LG Optimus S ZVD last night but I have been working on it for a week now so it just goes to show how clueless I am to Androids and the inner workings of computers in general. Now I am working on flashing a ROM. I do have some questions about doing this though.

1) Is there anything I have to do or download before I install a rom?

2) What is a good rom to flash?

3) If I do somehow mess this up will there be a way to fix it?

4) Is there anything at all that I didn't mention that I will need to know?

I know that all the answers are in these forums but like I said I just spent a week trying to root, I defiantly do not want to spend that much time doing this! Thank you in advance for the help.

basketthis

Nov 22, 2010
Visit site
Read all of this before trying anything!:
http://forums.androidcentral.com/lg...optimus-s-recoveries-roms-kernels-themes.html
I recommend using drew's rooting tool. I believe it's called gingersnap. It is very easy and will get you rooted quickly. Please note all of the instructions in the appropriate thread before trying it. You need to download drivers, files, etc in order for anything to work during the rooting process.
Then you will load a custom recovery. I suggest Xionia. It seems to have problems with the newer LCD screens, so go with another option if you are not sure which lcd screen you have.
Finally, you will boot into recovery and flash the ROM of your choice. For stability, speed, and normal use it is recommended that you use Reborn ROM (refer to thread posted above for instructions). If you would like to try experimental builds and are a power user, flash drew's CM7 port (again, refer to the thread above for instructions).

Reading is the important part. All of the information is here. Take your time and do your research before trying. It is easier now than it was in the past because of all the support here, but you can still mess up your phone. And having the knowledge to know what to do is much more reassuring than trying to explain your issue online and wait for help when your phone won't boot, etc.... Good Luck and let us know what comes of it!

blackops1125

Advisor
Mar 19, 2011
Visit site
Read all of this before trying anything!:
http://forums.androidcentral.com/lg...optimus-s-recoveries-roms-kernels-themes.html
I recommend using drew's rooting tool. I believe it's called gingersnap. It is very easy and will get you rooted quickly. Please note all of the instructions in the appropriate thread before trying it. You need to download drivers, files, etc in order for anything to work during the rooting process.
Then you will load a custom recovery. I suggest Xionia. It seems to have problems with the newer LCD screens, so go with another option if you are not sure which lcd screen you have.
Finally, you will boot into recovery and flash the ROM of your choice. For stability, speed, and normal use it is recommended that you use Reborn ROM (refer to thread posted above for instructions). If you would like to try experimental builds and are a power user, flash drew's CM7 port (again, refer to the thread above for instructions).

Reading is the important part. All of the information is here. Take your time and do your research before trying. It is easier now than it was in the past because of all the support here, but you can still mess up your phone. And having the knowledge to know what to do is much more reassuring than trying to explain your issue online and wait for help when your phone won't boot, etc.... Good Luck and let us know what comes of it!
Xionia actually works with most LCD screens, it is the other recoveries that don't work well with new LCD screens.
As for reading anyone here will tell you to read, then re-read everything! And you should! This way you can learn what other mistakes people made and not do them you're self!

sent from my Reborn Optimus

basketthis

Nov 22, 2010
Visit site
Xionia actually works with most LCD screens, it is the other recoveries that don't work well with new LCD screens.
As for reading anyone here will tell you to read, then re-read everything! And you should! This way you can learn what other mistakes people made and not do them you're self!

sent from my Reborn Optimus

I stand corrected. Thanks for clearing that up!

Jessicalt1

Lover of all things Andi
May 17, 2010
Visit site
I would recommended DL Titanium and backing up everything BEFORE you flash anything to your phone. Then you don't have to worry about losing a bunch of info while experimenting. :)