Clarification about nandroid backups

incarceration

Apr 5, 2011
Visit site
I'm loving the new features of rooting my phone, replacing the custom recovery, and replacing the ROM with custom ROMs. But I want to experiment with other ROMs.

My problem is after I customize it I don't want to replace the ROM because I just configured it and everything. So my question is, does doing a full nandroid backup back up EVERYYYTHING? Like the layout of my home screen with the apps and stuff and all my settings, etc? I've used MyBackup Root and it doesn't return all of that it just returns all my apps, app settings, system settings, etc.

thanks

epeereboom

Apr 15, 2011
Visit site
If you are switching to a new ROM, you will need to reconfigure everything. However, if you want to switch back to a ROM that you used previously and you did a nandroid backup of that it will restore it exactly the way it was before you switched.

Reactions: incarceration

incarceration

Apr 5, 2011
Visit site
Ohh ok so a nandroid backup will restore it back to how it was on a previous ROM after I reflash that same ROM? Or will it reflash the ROM and restore ALL settings, configuration, etc in the same operation?

Also, where does the nandroid backup go? SDCard? Where on the SDCard?

epeereboom

Apr 15, 2011
Visit site
Lets say you were using ReBorn did a nandroid backup and then wanted to try a new ROM but didn't like it for some reason and wanted to go back to ReBorn. All you would have to do is restore that nandroid and ReBorn would be reinstalled the way you left it. No having to configure anything.

The backup does go to the sd card. Which folder depends on what recovery you are using.

Last edited:
Reactions: incarceration