Rooting- Any benefit to leaving stock?

poophead

Aug 11, 2011
Visit site
Hey All,

I'm brand new around here. I have been reading for a great deal however. I love internet forums... I have yet to find an issue there isn't a vast knowledge base (forum) for.

On to my question.

I have ver 2.2.1 LS670ZVC, I dodged the ZVD update, and as such, still have wifi.

Last night I rooted with drew's one click root. Worked really well. My question, and I have read the benefits of a custom ROM, are there any apps that allow you to take advantage of root with stock os?

I am very new to this all, and am very impressed with the vast amount of info available on this site.

I am not against custom ROM, just researching before I jump. I know I wouls have to go to ZVD to get support for the custom...

Just curious what I can/ could do on stock system.

TIA

Steve

PS- I thanked Drew in his thread, and posed the same question, but thought I might get more responses this way :)

uberjam545

Jan 20, 2011
Visit site
Well when your rooted on stock ROM theres really not a whole lot that you can do. You can use titanium backup to back up your apps and restore them but thats about all. You used to beable to do a cache to cache hack that would free up a ton of space but i don't think that even works anymore (on stock ROM), you can change your theme but there aren't very many around for use with stock rom anymore and its very diffecult to do it on stock rom anyway.

So in short pretty much anything you can do on a rooted stock ROM you can do way easier on a custom ROM so i would reccommend that you install a custom recovery so that you can start flashing custom ROMs and overclock to make your phone run even better than it already would on a different ROM, :)

im_electronic

Dec 2, 2010
Visit site
most of the custom roms that are currently out fix what sprint hadn't and give your device more life and options.

i use reborn and like the pull down control strip, the speed and many tweaks it has. of you want the latest then drews cm7 is the way to go.

it's all about preference.

jkb2618#AC

May 15, 2010
Visit site
most of the custom roms that are currently out fix what sprint hadn't and give your device more life and options.

i use reborn and like the pull down control strip, the speed and many tweaks it has. of you want the latest then drews cm7 is the way to go.

it's all about preference.

Both my wife and daughter have a Sprint Optimus S, and they both get frustrated that their screens will freeze for several seconds fairly often. Does Reborn Rom help this phone to run faster and keep from locking
up? I have been thinking about rooting their phones if there was a solid improvement, and stable enough for a daily driver, but with an Evo running CM7, I really just haven't read enough about the optimus specifically.

basketthis

Nov 22, 2010
Visit site
Both my wife and daughter have a Sprint Optimus S, and they both get frustrated that their screens will freeze for several seconds fairly often. Does Reborn Rom help this phone to run faster and keep from locking
up? I have been thinking about rooting their phones if there was a solid improvement, and stable enough for a daily driver, but with an Evo running CM7, I really just haven't read enough about the optimus specifically.

The roms run more stable than the stock. I have reborn on my wife's phone and I run cm7. I'm more of an adventurer. ;) They are both very stable and reliable. No freeze issues, etc.

To sum it up, root and custom recovery then flash a custom rom.

Reactions: jkb2618#AC

blackops1125

Advisor
Mar 19, 2011
Visit site
As a user of both reborn Tom and drew's CM7, Drew's CM7 runs the the best.

sent from my CM7 gingerbread Optimus S

Always happy to help, hit that thanks button if I did

Reactions: jkb2618#AC

reltm

Jul 25, 2011
Visit site
I was in your situation about ten days ago, wondering what it might be like to go beyond just rooting... I flashed something close to stock and enjoyed it for a day or two, but it had stability issues (freezing, possibly due to overclocked CPU).

Then I flashed Drew's CM7 ROM. Wow. What a difference, especially compared to stock. The processor isn't overclocked but everything still runs snappier. I have more space. Waaay more customization options. The only thing I miss is Voice SMS capabilities (it seems the Sprint Visual Voicemail app doesn't work in Gingerbread, maybe because GB isn't out for this phone yet. I haven't been able to confirm this).

With a custom recovery installed (I use Clockwork Xionia) you can easily switch back and forth between different "nandroid" backups in a couple minutes. Occasionally I'll switch back to my stock (but rooted) Froyo - and man, what a difference. It's slower, glitchier, fewer customization options, has Sprint ID crap on it. Drew's CM7 has never frozen on me in over a week of use. It really is fantastic. (And did I mention the battery life?).

So go for it! The hardest part is installing the custom recovery. After that switching ROMs and reverting to old backed up nandroids (they are like your entire phone backed up on your SD card for future use) is a piece of cake. Just use the custom Clockwork recovery to make a nandroid backup of your stock rooted ROM, then put whatever ROM you want to try out on there. If you don't like it, just revert! It really is that easy.

poophead

Aug 11, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the replies. I was on duty yesterday and wasn't able to post.

Another question, I did download Titanium BU, what about my apps and such? Will clockwork save all that? Or use the titanium?

Is Drew's CM7 basically 2.3?

Steve

reltm

Jul 25, 2011
Visit site
Titanium backup does a nice job of saving your apps and associated data. This is different than a nandroid backup which you do from the recovery screen (nandroid saves everything, including the ROM).

One thing to consider is after you put a new ROM on, do a fresh install of apps from the market and use titanium only to restore your Data. Some believe this reduces the chance of incompatibilities between the new ROM and some of your old apps. My advice (and what I did) is to put the fresh ROM on and then slowly install your old apps as you want them. The new ROM (like Drew's) may come with a lot of apps already.

And yes, Drew's is 2.3.5!

scifan

Dec 28, 2010
Visit site
The Optimus is my 4th Android phone... (moment, intercept, and then hero) ... The Optimus runs significantly better under a custom rom... It's more responsive than my stock work droid x...

The primary benefit with sticking with a "2.2.2" rom is that everything works... under 2.3.3 there will be a few things that don't work because of the lack of drivers... if this doesn't bother you, then play with 2.3.3.

I"ve been working with Reborn since it was un-named... I actually haven't stepped forward from reborn 2.1 because it didn't really give me enough to make me want to change. I know I have significantly better battery life than my wife's non-rooted phone... but she won't let me touch her phone that way...

Not sure if that helps in your decisions... since there were several people asking. The Optimus is one of the most complete lower end phones... and has a reasonable amount of ram... wish it had more storage.... and beware of pushing too much stuff onto your SD card as that consumes cache for the mount points and will cause you pain for updates...

epidenimus

Racer of Elevators
Apr 13, 2011
Visit site
I think that there is benefit to having a rooted phone with a custom recovery and I don't think that I would do one without the other. For one, you can do a nandroid backup. Secondly, and part of what inspired me to make the recent leap, was that the stock recovery will reset and wipe all of your info and apps if a serious error occurs; a custom will just restart to recovery. I know because this happened to me; my stock phone managed to do what was effectively a factory reset on me. Screwing around with su increases your chance of borking things up and you will appreciate some recourse if you do.

Beyond that, there are some apps that work only on rooted phones that you can use, but the true advantage is realized when running a custom ROM. I have not found a completely perfect ROM yet, but I have no interest in returning to stock.

If you want stock without the bloat or any huge noticeable feature bump (they're mostly pure Google), try CleanROM or ShellROM. I tried sROM on the GF"s phone and I think that is my new fave for those who don't want a lot of tweak but want to see a little of what is possible with their rooted phone. Reborn is very tailored to this device, stable, and slick, but it has some features that will be different (arguably better, but different.) CM7--and Gingerbread--is not native to the Optimus line yet, so while it is crazy tweakable and looks great, there are some issues. You just have to know your user and maybe be open to helping them experiment. ;)

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
planeboy