[FAQ][WIP] General ROMs, rooting, and related questions

basketthis

Nov 22, 2010
Visit site
This FAQ is a reference where all the most common questions are available. All general questions should be directed to this thread.​

I want to start by thanking everyone who has contributed to this forum and the development of any of the android phones. Without their knowledge, none of us would be where we are today. :) So, I kindly take all of that information and provide it in an (hopefully) organized and digestible format for everyone (including noobs! ;)).

This is a work in progress and I plan to keep this updated with the most common questions as I see them. If anyone else has suggestions, please let me know and I will update. Also, ask your common question here so it can be answered and added to this post! :D

Please note that a general answer is provided for more of an understanding for the user.
Especially when it comes to ROMs, nothing is set in stone and ROMs can offer many different features...

Q: Is (insert ROM name here) better or worse than (insert ROM name here)?
A: This is a very common question with a not so straightforward answer. It is hard to come up with a simple answer because there are so many different options when dealing with different ROMs customizations.
ROMs are based off of a number of different official Android-base software. The official software is usually released by the manufacturer of the phone and sometimes by the cell phone carrier. There is 2.2 (froyo) and 2.3 (gingerbread) available for most phones. When referring to stock, froyo compared to Gingerbread is like Windows 7 home edition is to Windows 7 home edition PLUS the latest updates, you get some added features (more compatibility, more streamlined processes, supposed to run smoother, etc) with the latest build. I know that's a horrible Microsoft reference (don't kill me Microsoft people) but I am trying to come up with a good example...
Now that we understand the stock software a little better, we can get into the good stuff!
Any ROM can be built off of the two different versions of Android operating software. ROMs take the best features of the stock software and usually add or remove certain features based on the developers taste OR sometimes even based on the community's recommendation! For example, they can remove bloatware or unnecessary software. Usually this will allow the software to run better on the phone, freeing up memory and resources to make the phone more responsive to the user while removing unneeded or unused programs. :) This allows different ROMs to be developed to allow for different features and capabilities.
In the case of some phones, the newest build of the stock Android software may not be available for the particular make/model of the phone. This is where "ports" come in. This is where a developer may choose to port, or re-code/re-program, a newer Android software to be compatible with that particular model phone. For example, if the most recent version of the official software is 2.2 (froyo) a developer will customize a working version of 2.3 (gingerbread) to work with the phone. This does take a lot of know-how and resources. This usually results in some normal features being inaccessible or broken. This is not always the case and some developers have done amazing work on some ports to make them fully compatible with that particular phone!
One of the most popular additions throughout the Android community is CM7. This build is based on the newest Android software and adds features and customizations not available anywhere else. Read more here.
So, I hope it is clear that there are ROMs based off of the current official firmware and ROMs that are completely ported that offer features that are not available using any other version of the firmware.
With all of this information, it is up to the user to select the ROM that will be best for their use. If running a stable ROM that will conserve battery life while removing unwanted bloatware, well there is a solution for you. Have a look at the ROMs available. If you want to run the "latest and greatest!!" with the most customizations available then there is an usually an option for you. There are usually many options in between! So the choice lies with the user. The user must make a decision based on the information provided and what the developer provides. :)

Q: I'm having this (insert issue here) with this ROM and nobody else is experiencing the same issue.
A: Make sure that you have gone through all of the steps for you ROM, mod, or hack properly before looking to other things for the issue. Usually (and I mean a majority of the time), it's user error that has caused something to act funny. Especially when switching between gingerbread based ROMs and froyo based ROMs many issues can present themselves. The issues mainly come up because of restoring apps from one to the other and vice versa. If going to a gingerbread ROM from a froyo ROM, download apps from the market rather than restoring them. I know, PITA, but it will prevent you from being frustrated in the future and wondering why your ROM isn't working as great as anyone else's. Be sure to clear all data/system/dalvik/etc... and anything else that must be cleared according to instructions by the developer as well. Every step is important. In the end it is up to you to make sure you follow the processes exactly because when it boils down to it, you are responsible for your phone.

Q: My battery life is horrible with this ROM; what can I do?
A: First, read [url="http://www.androidcentral.com/keeping-your-charge-how-improve-battery-life-your-android-phone]THIS[/URL]. Then, browse for any battery saving mods in your phone section. Some apps offer additional battery savings. Examples are JuiceDefender (free), SetCPU (paid), and CPUTuner (free). Sometimes, developers can offer scripts for rooted devices that improve battery life by managing resources and processor speed based on different variables. The developer's script is usually the better option as it uses less overhead and responds better without lagging the phone for the user.

Last edited:

basketthis

Nov 22, 2010
Visit site
Re: [FAQ] Optimus ROMs, rooting, and related questions

Q: What is nandroid and why do I need it?
A: Nandroid usually refers to a type of backup/restore file that is made to backup the phone entirely. For example, after rooting and adding that custom ROM, you get all your apps/widgets/folders/homescreen setup, and "whew!" (that was a lot of work) you can simply create a nandroid backup of your system and it will save everything from your current setup, including themes, settings, apps, etc... Think of it as a total system backup; a complete copy available at any time.
A common use of this is if a user wants to regularly switch between two or more ROMs for certain features (or for whatever reason), they have the option to simply restore the nandroid backup and start from the point where they left off.

Q: I'm on a ROM that's an unofficial port (ie CM7 gingerbread on LG Optimus S) and there is no option to update PRL. What happened? What do I do?
A: PRL updates are something that is native to the manufacturer ROM release for that specific phone. ie the stock ROM for the Optimus S in this case would contain the option to PRL update. This is one of the benefits to using a stock-based ROM release on the phone because it will usually still allow all of the original functions.
Well, you say, "Okay, I get all that but what about me? I've updated to CM7 port and I still can't update?!?!" Here's your answer:
You must first decide if you want to complete the process and if it will be worth the amount of time for you. The amount of time can vary depending on your familiarity with flashing ROMs and making/restoring backups. Please read the steps before proceeding if you are hesitant in any way. I am not going to list the steps in a "list"-type order for the main reason that people will jump straight to the steps and not read this first. :) So, here are the steps (I suggest plugging in your charger from this point on): before starting this, download a native ROM (ROM built on froyo, ie Reborn ROM, ShellROM, CleanROM, sROM) and place it on the sdcard. Along with that, download this file and also place it on the root of the sdcard. First, you want to make a nandroid backup of your current configuration. So, boot into recovery, select 'backup and restore', and then backup. Give it some time to make the backup. Backup time will be dependent on the phone's configuration and the amount of apps, etc (I won't get too much into it)... Now your backup is done. You now must wipe cache partition, data/factory reset, and under advanced > dalvik. Then flash the debug file that we downloaded before starting. It will properly wipe the system partition to allow proper operation of the ROM. Don't delete the file because we will use it again! After wiping and flashing the debug file, we need to flash the native ROM to allow us the option to PRL update. So, flash whatever ROM you chose to download before starting onto the phone. Wait for it to finish then reboot. Once it has booted it is not necessary to login to any Google accounts, etc. You may just hit 'skip' for all of the menus. Once the phone has calmed down and is ready to use, navigate to settings > about phone > update PRL and select it! Once its don't doing its thing, you are done with this ROM and now want the CM7 port back. So, reboot into recovery again. Now, wipe cache partition, data/factory reset, and under advanced > dalvik. Then flash the debug file that we downloaded before starting. Now, for this step we will access the 'backup and restore' menu again. Select 'restore' then you will have to choose your most recent backup. If you have multiple backups, the most recent will be the one containing the largest numbers. All in all, the filename is just a date. And if you have multiple backups in one day, the numbers to the right will reflect the difference in time between the backups. General rule of thumb is, larger the number, more recent the backup (unless you backed up something at the end of the year and now it is the beginning of the year, however this is easily figured out by comparing the two backups and realizing that the year changed in the dates...). Once you have the correct file, select it. It will take a few minutes to properly restore the system. Once done, hit 'reboot system' and you now have the most recent (or your choice of) unofficial port for your phone with the most recent PRL update! :D

Last edited:

the_maplebar

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
I haven't seen much discussion on best steps to use when changing between different ROMs. All of the ROM threads say just to wipe data, cache and dalvik-cache. I noticed your recent post linking to a flashable zip to format system between flashing ROM's can you explain more? I've used a similar procedure on past windows phones, but I haven't seen this mentioned for the Optimus before.

Also I have had good experience doing a dirty flash (flashing the same ROM over itself) to fix the LG black screen of death. Would this be a similar effect to the format system zip?

I've been on Reborn for a while and getting ready to try CM7 but I want to make sure I can go back and forth without causing problems.

Thanks!

basketthis

Nov 22, 2010
Visit site
I haven't seen much discussion on best steps to use when changing between different ROMs. All of the ROM threads say just to wipe data, cache and dalvik-cache. I noticed your recent post linking to a flashable zip to format system between flashing ROM's can you explain more? I've used a similar procedure on past windows phones, but I haven't seen this mentioned for the Optimus before.

Also I have had good experience doing a dirty flash (flashing the same ROM over itself) to fix the LG black screen of death. Would this be a similar effect to the format system zip?

I've been on Reborn for a while and getting ready to try CM7 but I want to make sure I can go back and forth without causing problems.

Thanks!

Great question. A little more specific to the LG Optimus S.
You are correct, you will wipe cache partition, data/factory reset, and under advanced > dalvik.
Then you will flash this file: http://db.tt/SI1Vwx2 which properly clears the system so that errors are not created by leftover bits/bytes of information. There is an error in every custom recovery that doesn't allow for it to properly clear the system files. This file takes care of that. ;)
Then you will flash the appropriate ROM. In this case, Drew's CM7 build and the the gapps 06132011 file.

Pro tip for CM7: Before doing this, try the ROM for a few days by itself first. But, I also recommend flashing the battery tweak here: http://forums.androidcentral.com/lg...hacks/102280-mod-collin_ph-battery-tweak.html for improved battery life!

Another tip: To have your battery life performance work better, charge your phone to 100% then boot into recovery while still charging the phone. Go into advanced options and clear battery stats. Reboot and unplug phone. Let the phone go to 0-5% before plugging back into the charger. This will give the phone proper charging/discharging stats. It will also give you (the user) a more accurate reference to the status of the battery. :D

EDIT: Dirty flash is not like format system. Dirty flash is like overwriting, whereas formatting the system is like cleaning it. :)

-To go back and forth, use nandroid backups, but between backups make sure to flash the system debug file. Assuming you have already used the backup option in the recovery menu, the process would go like this: boot into recovery, clear data, dalvik, etc then flash system debug. Then restore nandroid from restore menu.

ehiggins

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
My question is, are there any kernals that support BLN for the optimus? I use it on my nexus and would love to have it on the wife's phone

basketthis

Nov 22, 2010
Visit site
My question is, are there any kernals that support BLN for the optimus? I use it on my nexus and would love to have it on the wife's phone

By BLN, I'm guessing that you are referring to BackLight Notifications... If that is so, then you should check out this thread: http://forums.androidcentral.com/sp...help-replace-missing-leds-optimus-phones.html which has information on the different options. All kernels should work properly. Let us know how it works out!

Reactions: Buddlespit

tlrsax54

Mar 20, 2011
Visit site
I know there's more questions out there!

Luckily you already answered mine in another thread :p

Just a thought, maybe it would be helpful to put that debug file in the first post so it's easy to find? Maybe in the second Q talking about errors after flashing a rom...

basketthis

Nov 22, 2010
Visit site
Luckily you already answered mine in another thread :p

Just a thought, maybe it would be helpful to put that debug file in the first post so it's easy to find? Maybe in the second Q talking about errors after flashing a rom...

Thanks for the suggestion! Edited post #2 to reflect updates! :)

Reactions: tlrsax54

basketthis

Nov 22, 2010
Visit site
I have a couple of things in mind to add. I would like to see if there are anymore questions that anyone has as far as general rooting/rom'ing is concerned for this phone. :)

Buddlespit

Wannabe kewl
Jan 27, 2011
Visit site
Last "leading" question:

IHO github says that Xiona recoveries tend to create problems for IHO-based roms, and suggest a couple of recoveries that are just for IHO. One of them is specifically for the Optimus V, so that can be ruled out. The Xiona recovery that we're using is CMW based, but the IHO github doesn't say anything about them.

What would you recommend?

basketthis

Nov 22, 2010
Visit site
Last "leading" question:

IHO github says that Xiona recoveries tend to create problems for IHO-based roms, and suggest a couple of recoveries that are just for IHO. One of them is specifically for the Optimus V, so that can be ruled out. The Xiona recovery that we're using is CMW based, but the IHO github doesn't say anything about them.

What would you recommend?

It's safe to use the Xionia recovery. Make sure to do the steps listed in post 2, question 2 (minus reverting to another ROM) including the wipe, flash systemdebug.zip, flash rom, flash gapps. You will be fine if you follow that process everytime you flash any ROM with this phone.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samyblaze