preparing to flash CM7 on lg optimus S-----baseband LS670MV9_6040

Aug 15, 2011
Visit site
this is my first post on androidcentral, but i'm very grateful to have joined. i just want to explain a few things before i ask any questions. over the past two days i've gone through hell and back with my optimus s. i purchased it in april 2011 and decided to root just last week by using gingerbreak. to root my phone, all i did was save the apk on my sd card, installed it on my phone from astro, and ran it. just pressed buttons on the screen. i thought it was supposed to be that easy.

i realized i was lacking some things (like busybox) but chose to ignore them, so i attempted to flash CM7 the first time using this video. this was successful, and i had created NAND and Google proprietary backups, but i had no idea how to get my settings, contacts, music, and apps back *facepalm*.

so then i installed rom manager and the built in clockwork recovery mod........ and i think i attempted to re-flash CM7 with this, thinking everything would be fixed. i was, obviously, terribly wrong.

when i tried to restore everything from clockwork, my phone would take forever to boot. and when it finally did, i had to call my phone number just to unlock the screen. (by the way everytime i hung up, i kept getting 'google services framework process: com.google.process.gapps' has failed/forced close or something like that) but still the screen was blank (as in black, with no icons, wallpaper, etc., except for the notification bar. i couldn't access recovery mode after that because the screen would return blank. all i could do was unlock the phone by calling, and then connect the phone to my computer via usb.

at this point i was about to give up, i thought my phone was bricked. but i knew that it couldn't be because it was still functioning, and i could still receive calls. so all night i searched on this website, until i found these wonderful posts:

http://forums.androidcentral.com/lg...70vc-vd-using-kp500-diag-mode.html#post655188

http://forums.androidcentral.com/lg...g-ota-ls670vc-vd-using-kp500-diag-mode-4.html

those reverted my phone to LS670MV9 and got rid of the blank screen. i followed the steps from the first link until t)exit the LG Mobile Support Tool and KP500 (option Q) (didn't do u-v). instead i decided to continue with the steps from the second link to get my screen working.

i think this is where i made a mistake. once everything was alright and working i used this to root my phone. that link was only supposed to work with LS670ZVD, but i unknowingly used it on LS670MV9.

. . .

screenshot.png

screenshot_1.png

so now my phone is rooted, and on LS670MV9 -_-" i guess when i was following the steps from the first link, i should have completed u-v, then see if the blank screen would persist.

what i'm wondering now is if i can install CM7 in this current state, using the method from that video, or perhaps this or this..

or do i have to unroot and do all these other crazy things? all i want to do is have CM7 on my optimus s, at least functional. i'll wipe my phone and everything, i still have nandroid, appsaver, and titanium back ups on my computer, if that will help. and according to root checker i have root access and busybox. i'll provide more information if needed.

so what must i do? to properly run CM7 and have all of the same applications and settings from my pre-root days? i know this was an extremely long post, but i have little experience with rooting, flashing, etc., and i just wanted to make my previous noobish actions and goals as clear as possible.

thank you for reading!

blackops1125

Advisor
Mar 19, 2011
Visit site
Your first mistake was using rom manager! You should have read the stickies about rom manager bricks Optimus s.
Your second mistake was not following the directions. They are written in a linear format, which means follow them line by line and don't skip steps, if you do it will not work.
sent from my CM7 gingerbread Optimus S

Always happy to help, hit that thanks button if I did

Last edited:

mike9670

DROID Master
Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
Re: preparing to flash CM7 on lg optimus S-----baseband LS670MV9_

That video shows ThunderC recovery, the first good recovery for our phones

bklyn

May 8, 2011
Visit site

Your first mistake was using rom manager! You should have read the stickies about rom manager bricks Optimus s.
Your second mistake was not following the directions. They are written in a linear format, which means follow them line by line and don't skip steps, if you do it will not work.
sent from my CM7 gingerbread Optimus S

Always happy to help, hit that thanks button if I did
Let's not be too critical. I think it is clear OP didn't know this forum existed when he made his mistakes.

Aug 15, 2011
Visit site

thanks everyone for your help :) well now i'm going to update to ZVD and then follow telemike's links, except...

my phone won't connect to my computer, and i have all of the drivers installed, maybe except for one that kept failing, could that be why?

and when i try using the lgmobile support tool, it tells me this:
notice.PNG

so do i need to revert to the stock rooted ZVD, or find some other way to update to VC and/or VD?

Aug 15, 2011
Visit site

install.PNG

okay, so now all of the drivers are installed (i'm on win7) but the device just appears then disappears. i don't think it's my sd card, because it works when i plug it in with an adapter.
i need access to my sd card so i can update to VD, create a back up on xionia, then to flash cm7. according to that link my phone will stay rooted when i update to VD so i won't have to use gingerbreak..

basketthis

Nov 22, 2010
Visit site

Try to adb (assuming you already have it setup properly). From adb you can access anything.... well kinda. Its a start.

Aug 15, 2011
Visit site

its alright i got it to work. so right now i'm on step 4 of that tutorial, but it's still giving me the same message. i copied the old nandroid folder with the old backup to my sdcard, so i can restore back to my old settings right? all i need to do now is update to VD so i can restore the backup and flash cm7 :-\

Aug 15, 2011
Visit site

latest.PNG

lgmobile support tool is working now. i connected my phone and it says my cell phone is the latest version, so it won't update to VD. what should i do?

Aug 15, 2011
Visit site

update: good news. i force flashed ZVD, unrooted. now i have android version 2.2.2, baseband version LS670MVD_60401001, kernel version 2.6.32.9.

i'm going to use telemike's links to get root and flash CM7. hopefully things will get back to normal. i'm not sure if i should create a new backup or use the old one from when i first tried flashing CM7... maybe i'll just move all of my files back to the sd card once i'm done, just to be safe.

again thanks to everyone on android central for your help!