Possible to flash recovery without being booted into Android?

HaiTek

May 7, 2011
Visit site
I rooted my phone almost the moment I got it, and installed the Scott Pilgrim ROM and its accompanying Xionia custom recovery soon after. Fast forward several months, and the SD card slot is finicky due to a hardware issue, so I plan to send it back for a warranty replacement. Of course, before I can do that, I had to return the ROM and the recovery to stock.

The community documentation for installing custom ROMs is great (especially on these forums-- thanks guys :)), but the process for returning to stock? Not so much. Due to this circumstance I had to do a little improvisation on the whole process and ended up (as far as I can tell) bricking my phone. I'm pretty sure my problem is I flashed the V9 stock recovery and I have the new LCD, so after the inital LG screen, the screen just goes black. I still have all the original files I used so if I'm leaving out some information I can attach some of those.

So essentially, my situation is this: if I can flash Xionia back on there, I can put a custom ROM or something back on it and just live with a finicky SD card slot. The ultimate question here is is it possible to flash a recovery without being booted into Android?

Thanks in advance for any help!

HaiTek

May 7, 2011
Visit site

Thank you for your response, basketthis, but I think you misunderstood my issue. I need to reinstall the Xionia recovery because my recovery itself is messed up and is not (as far as I can tell -- the screen is black) booting into Android. This is a problem because the installation procedure for the Xionia recovery requires that one be booted into Android and use flash_image from the terminal or adb shell.

blackops1125

Advisor
Mar 19, 2011
Visit site
I rooted my phone almost the moment I got it, and installed the Scott Pilgrim ROM and its accompanying Xionia custom recovery soon after. Fast forward several months, and the SD card slot is finicky due to a hardware issue, so I plan to send it back for a warranty replacement. Of course, before I can do that, I had to return the ROM and the recovery to stock.

The community documentation for installing custom ROMs is great (especially on these forums-- thanks guys :)), but the process for returning to stock? Not so much. Due to this circumstance I had to do a little improvisation on the whole process and ended up (as far as I can tell) bricking my phone. I'm pretty sure my problem is I flashed the V9 stock recovery and I have the new LCD, so after the inital LG screen, the screen just goes black. I still have all the original files I used so if I'm leaving out some information I can attach some of those.

So essentially, my situation is this: if I can flash Xionia back on there, I can put a custom ROM or something back on it and just live with a finicky SD card slot. The ultimate question here is is it possible to flash a recovery without being booted into Android?

Thanks in advance for any help!

All he need was to use screencast!!!! You could probably still boot into android just not see it on your screen. screencast would just put your phone screen onto your computer screen.

OnlyPatty

Nov 18, 2011
Visit site
I can adb shell without being in android. :)
You just need to be able to get the files to your sdcard. Use adb push command

How can I do this? My phone Optimus S will not boot at all, its just a black screen after the lg logo. I cannot boot into recovery or anything. Would love your help on this.