[THEME][How To] Theme Beta Swype

omarnova

Dec 4, 2010
Visit site
well im having the same problems as reported, lost my swype with the flash update zip then had to undo zip then swype appears again only thing is when i try to flash update zip i just lose swype again..so far no success (im on reborn rom)

Last edited:

thekraven

Nov 10, 2010
Visit site
I think I remember Reborn being finicky about permissions and moving things from the data app folder. I might have to add the step of moving the Swype apk to the Sdcard to add the graphic files.

omarnova

Dec 4, 2010
Visit site
I think I remember Reborn being finicky about permissions and moving things from the data app folder. I might have to add the step of moving the Swype apk to the Sdcard to add the graphic files.

yeah i just tried a whole bunch of times and tried different themes and no success! but this looks great, hopefully i can get it working soon..doubt i will leave reborn rom tho, at lease for now

thekraven

Nov 10, 2010
Visit site
Let's look at the permissions of that com.swype.android.inputmethod-1.apk file. With a file browser, navigate to the /data/app/ folder, and long press on that swype apk. And see what the read/write privileges are. See if checking 'write' in the boxes fixes it.

One step that might need to be added is to uncheck Swype in setting/Lang keyboards, prior to ziptheming it. I'll reload Reborn and check later.

The added steps would be to copy and paste that file to the root of the sdcard. Then use zipthemer and the Metamorph files in Post 3. The metamorph files are similar, but the only difference is where the com.swype.android.inputmethod-1.apk file is located.

Last edited:

omarnova

Dec 4, 2010
Visit site
Let's look at the permissions of that com.swype.android.inputmethod-1.apk file. With a file browser, navigate to the /data/app/ folder, and long press on that swype apk. And see what the read/write privileges are. See if checking 'write' in the boxes fixes it.

One step that might need to be added is to uncheck Swype in setting/Lang keyboards, prior to ziptheming it. I'll reload Reborn and check later.

The added steps would be to copy and paste that file to the root of the sdcard. Then use zipthemer and the Metamorph files in Post 3. The metamorph files are similar, but the only difference is where the com.swype.android.inputmethod-1.apk file is located.

Last edited:

omarnova

Dec 4, 2010
Visit site

com.swype.android.inputmethod permissions are
Owner = all checked
Group = Read and Exec checked
ALL = Exec checked

kingdavidbaker

Jan 7, 2011
www.kingdavidbaker.com
yeah i just tried a whole bunch of times and tried different themes and no success! but this looks great, hopefully i can get it working soon..doubt i will leave reborn rom tho, at lease for now

Did you wipe swype's data after using the "undo" zip? Thats what I had to do to get it working. Flash update....restart and swype disappears....flash undo.....restart....swype is back so clear data....flash update again...restart...swype should be back and once you select it the theme should be properly applied.

omarnova

Dec 4, 2010
Visit site
Did you wipe swype's data after using the "undo" zip? Thats what I had to do to get it working. Flash update....restart and swype disappears....flash undo.....restart....swype is back so clear data....flash update again...restart...swype should be back and once you select it the theme should be properly applied.

followed each and every step and still no success! when flashing update for the last time, i simply just lose my swype again...i guess this method is not working properly on Reborn Rom.

thekraven

Nov 10, 2010
Visit site
I'm working on it. i think Swype license is picky if you switch roms and kernals. Also data should be on as it checks with their server time to time. All i did was switch to a new kernal and my update.zips would not work. This testing is done on my CM7 build and Drew's gingerkernal v1.

I ended up uninstalling the Swype installer, and redownloading it. Sign in and download the latest Swype. And did the Metamorph in step 3 fine. And got a working themed swype.

Now onto zipthemer. Seems to work fine just like the zipthemer tutorial, but this was after doing the Metamorph way first. Now i'll do a fresh Swype install and do a zipthemer. So if you themed first by Metamorph, then did a ziptheme, you should be fine. I'll update the thread till i figure out the fresh install.

Ok, so fresh Swype install, do the zipthemer, flash in recovery, reboot, and no swype... so I'll work from here.

I'll go back to a nandroid of Reborn when i get home later and see what the trouble is.

omarnova

Dec 4, 2010
Visit site
I'm working on it. i think Swype license is picky if you switch roms and kernals. Also data should be on as it checks with their server time to time. All i did was switch to a new kernal and my update.zips would not work. This testing is done on my CM7 build and Drew's gingerkernal v1.

I ended up uninstalling the Swype installer, and redownloading it. Sign in and download the latest Swype. And did the Metamorph in step 3 fine. And got a working themed swype.

Now onto zipthemer. Seems to work fine just like the zipthemer tutorial, but this was after doing the Metamorph way first. Now i'll do a fresh Swype install and do a zipthemer. So if you themed first by Metamorph, then did a ziptheme, you should be fine. I'll update the thread till i figure out the fresh install.

Ok, so fresh Swype install, do the zipthemer, flash in recovery, reboot, and no swype... so I'll work from here.

I'll go back to a nandroid of Reborn when i get home later and see what the trouble is.

thanks, appreciate it!!

thekraven

Nov 10, 2010
Visit site
Ok, made an update to Post 9 about using Zipthemer. For the first time using it, it will be a few more steps.

Have 3 solutions that might work, but no time atm.
1. It. might just be setting permissions on the original "com.swype.android.inputmethod-1.apk" in the /data/app/ folder. But that's for another day.
2. Depending if the licensing allows it... Renaming the "com.swype.android.inputmethod-1.apk" file to "swype.apk"
and moving it into the /system/app/ folder. And forgetting all the signing
process. And making a small change to the metamoph xml.
Didn't work
3. Before you theme, backup Swype in Titanium backup and then uninstall. Install the newly made "com.swype.android.inputmethod-1.apk" file from inside the update zip file . Then go back to Titanium backup and find Swype and restore Data only.

So far this worked for me below...

You will need to copy and paste the swype apk file to the root of the Sdcard,
Setup Zipthemer signing rules in settings as "auto-testkey".
Use Zipthemer on different files to theme, but same as in metamorphs in post 3.
Either reboot and apply the update zip theme file. Or just open up the newly created zip and locate the "com.swype.android.inputmethod-1.apk" file and install on the spot.

BUt read post 9 for more details.
If that doesn't work, I will reinstall Reborn and see what's up.

Last edited:

omarnova

Dec 4, 2010
Visit site
Ok, made an update to Post 9 about using Zipthemer. For the first time using it, it will be a few more steps.

Have 3 solutions that might work, but no time atm.
1. It. might just be setting permissions on the original "com.swype.android.inputmethod-1.apk" in the /data/app/ folder. But that's for another day.
2. Depending if the licensing allows it... Renaming the "com.swype.android.inputmethod-1.apk" file to "swype.apk" and moving it into the /system/app/ folder. And forgetting all the signing process. And making a small change to the metamoph xml.
3. Before you theme, backup Swype in Titanium backup and then uninstall. Install the newly made "com.swype.android.inputmethod-1.apk" file from inside the update zip file . Then go back to Titanium backup and find Swype and restore Data only.

So far this worked for me below...

You will need to copy and paste the swype apk file to the root of the Sdcard,
Setup Zipthemer signing rules in settings as "auto-testkey".
Use Zipthemer on different files to theme, but same as in metamorphs in post 3.
Either reboot and apply the update zip theme file. Or just open up the newly created zip and locate the "com.swype.android.inputmethod-1.apk" file and install on the spot.

BUt read post 9 for more details.
If that doesn't work, I will reinstall Reborn and see what's up.

this method failed for me also, this totally made me lose my swype.apk had to install both the installer and swype back

thekraven

Nov 10, 2010
Visit site
Ok done a few more tests on Reborn.
Method 1 (long way) works on CM7 and Reborn Roms.
Method 2 (metamorph) method worked on Reborn and CM7.
Method 3 (zip themer) only works if you previously themed Swype the long way or metamorph. Tested in Reborn and CM7 Roms. See section 2 of post 9. I'll keep looking fror and easier solution. If Screencaster would start working for me again, i'll get a video up for Method 3.

Masterjakeway

May 26, 2011
Visit site
Have you ever used ninja morph? Wonder if that could be utilized here?
Just did a quick look, I think it would be fairly simple with ninja morph.

Last edited:

smoochiezz24

Dec 22, 2010
Visit site
Great Read! I know in the OP you said that theming the trail involves editing an xml. Which xml will I have to edit to theme it? I can go figure it out from there. But it would be even better if you knew the hex line also : ) I've been trying for forever.

jack52482

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site
These look and work great. Awesome work. I'm running Grom with stock kernal and all three methods worked perfectly first time through. Really awesome. I'd love the red theme but didnt see a dl. also itd be cool to get them all in metamorph zips. thanks alot