LG Optimus S SW LS670ZVD First time root.

macmccune

Sep 7, 2011
Visit site
As the title says, I am looking to root the LG Optimus S, SW LS670ZVD.
I originally wanted to root for flash player, but from what I understand that is a hardware issue due to the processor being ARMv6 and not ARMv7. Are there any attempts at making flash player (or flash lite) work on the optimus?
I also want to root for custom themes, wifi tethering, overclocking, and hotspot features.
I read about rooting without a pc, and while using a pc is an option, I would prefer the easier route, whichever that might be.
I also have read that Gingerbreak roots it from Froyo (2.2) to GingerBread (2.3). So after you upgrade to 2.3, you install a custom rom? And from what I understand, that is comparable to putting another operating system on a computer? Which rom would you suggest for me? (I want something mostly bug free, and with the most options)
Also, what apps/programs do I need for overclocking? And what is it safe to overclock to? (I use the phone a lot)
Also, what issues will sprint have with me rooting?

macmccune

Sep 7, 2011
Visit site
First you Root the phone,
And do you recommend me using the Gingerbreak .apk with terminal emulator, or another method?
If you could post a link to a thread, that would be great.
Then you install Xionia Clockwork Mod Recovery,
Then you install a ROM.
And Is there a method for doing this without a pc? I have access to a pc now, but I cant be on the computer all day trying to get this to work
http://forums.androidcentral.com/lg...optimus-s-recoveries-roms-kernels-themes.htmlI would start with ReBORN ROM, it's suepr stable, fast, good battery life and awesome themes.
Thank you for all your help.

mike9670

DROID Master
Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
I have not used Gingerbreak or Gingersnap. I used z4Root back in 2010 on the V9 radio.

You can use terminal emulator to install Xionia after extracting the files from the .rar file and copying to root of your SD card.

it is a lot easier on a PC using adb as you can cut&paste and not have to type commands in terminal emulator. The first time I did a recovery i used terminal emulator. Second time using adb. Much faster and easier.

You may be tempted to try CM7, but I reccomend ReBorn for first ROM.

Reactions: macmccune

macmccune

Sep 7, 2011
Visit site
I have not used Gingerbreak or Gingersnap. I used z4Root back in 2010 on the V9 radio.

You can use terminal emulator to install Xionia after extracting the files from the .rar file and copying to root of your SD card.

it is a lot easier on a PC using adb as you can cut&paste and not have to type commands in terminal emulator. The first time I did a recovery i used terminal emulator. Second time using adb. Much faster and easier.

You may be tempted to try CM7, but I reccomend ReBorn for first ROM.

Alright, I will use the pc, I have been reading more about it.
Is it possible to root, but still keep all apps/contacts/messages/pictures/music or do you have to format the phone and sd card?
And I will start with ReBorn, but I have a few questions..
Is launcherpro compatible? (I have grown to like it)
Can I change roms, like, from ReBorn to CM7?

graphic1982

Jul 27, 2011
Visit site
you can root and still use your current (stock) rom. only difference is it will have root access.
launcherpro is compatible with just about everything so i wouldn't worry there.
your free to change roms as much as you'd like after being rooted :) I'd make sure to download titanium backup so you can backup all your apps and not have to worry about redownloading them after switching roms.

the_maplebar

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
Alright, I will use the pc, I have been reading more about it.
Is it possible to root, but still keep all apps/contacts/messages/pictures/music or do you have to format the phone and sd card?
And I will start with ReBorn, but I have a few questions..
Is launcherpro compatible? (I have grown to like it)
Can I change roms, like, from ReBorn to CM7?

Yes, if all you do is root then all your data is kept intact. When you flash a rom you are usually required to wipe everything first (which will erase all of your apps/contacts etc.) The contacts will be restored when you enter your Google account, look into Titanium backup or similar apps to backup your apps and all of the app data.
Launcherpro is compatible, you can install whatever launcher you want.
Changing roms is awesome, the custom recovery lets you create a nandroid backup. You will have to go through the setup and customization process when you first install ReBorn rom, then create a nandroid backup. Later you can install CM7 play with it and switch back to your ReBorn rom by restoring the nandroid backup. All of you customizations and settings, apps etc will be restored as well.

macmccune

Sep 7, 2011
Visit site
you can root and still use your current (stock) rom. only difference is it will have root access.
launcherpro is compatible with just about everything so i wouldn't worry there.
your free to change roms as much as you'd like after being rooted :) I'd make sure to download titanium backup so you can backup all your apps and not have to worry about redownloading them after switching roms.

So one click root with gingerbreak or z4root isnt as complicated as I thought.
So all I have to do is root the phone, then add a custom recovery, then load the rom through that?
Which step is the most complicated and risky?

graphic1982

Jul 27, 2011
Visit site
So one click root with gingerbreak or z4root isnt as complicated as I thought.
So all I have to do is root the phone, then add a custom recovery, then load the rom through that?
Which step is the most complicated and risky?
i'd say the actual root process is the most tricky. i used the gingerbreak app, and it worked but it was weird. installing custom recovery was a breeze for me, just a couple adb commands and it was done.

Jessicalt1

Lover of all things Andi
May 17, 2010
Visit site
You can do the whole kit and kaboodle without a pc using this thread as a guide. There will be some changes though. Instead of z4Root, you want to use the gingerbreak.apk. But the steps are roughly the same. Read everything first, before you start mucking around so you don't have any issues.

Then use the terminal emulator to input the commands found in the Xionia recovery thread. (image file is there too)

Once you have gotten a custom recovery, you'll flash the ROM of your choice from the recovery menu. MAKE A NANDROID FIRST.

I vote Reborn as well. It's very stable and customizable.

macmccune

Sep 7, 2011
Visit site
Then use the terminal emulator to input the commands found in the Xionia recovery thread. (image file is there too)

This is the only part I am unsure about. The forum you linked shows a different
Recovery, and while I understand its not an exact tutorial, what exactly will I be doing with Xionia in the terminal? I understand that its not an .apk, but am I just copying files, or am I bypassing a step because I'm not using a pc? and what commands are you refering to for recovery installation?

Sent from my LS670 using Tapatalk

Jessicalt1

Lover of all things Andi
May 17, 2010
Visit site
This is the only part I am unsure about. The forum you linked shows a different
Recovery, and while I understand its not an exact tutorial, what exactly will I be doing with Xionia in the terminal? I understand that its not an .apk, but am I just copying files, or am I bypassing a step because I'm not using a pc? and what commands are you refering to for recovery installation?

Instead of the ThunderC recovery which is linked in that thread... you'll want to use the info in the Xionia thread. DL the two files there, and put them on the root of your SD card. Unzip the .rar file. Then fire up terminal emulator, and enter in each line exactly how you see it in the Xionia thread. A mistype can be fatal (to your phone).

Do you have a file explorer like root explorer or Astro? That is what you'll use to move the files from your browswer downloads to the root of your sd card and to extract the .rar.

This tends to be a longer, harder way to do it, only b/c you can't copy and paste it. But it IS possible to do from your phone only.

macmccune

Sep 7, 2011
Visit site
I have astro, what confused me is of xionia worked the same way as thunderc. So its essentially the same idea, just different file names?

Jessicalt1

Lover of all things Andi
May 17, 2010
Visit site
Yeah, thunderc used to not work on the newer LCDs so everyone was using Xionia. ThunderC does work on the newer ones now, but the Xionia has more options.

I believe Alvis' one click utility will install a custom recovery if you want to try using that. LINK

Last edited:

macmccune

Sep 7, 2011
Visit site
So i downloaded and ran gingerbreak, and am in the process of downloading xionia. I am getting a no signal error from the market... I can get online and download though. Is that because I'm getting bad signal ( which I am) or because I rooted?

Edit: its working now ^_^

Last edited:

macmccune

Sep 7, 2011
Visit site
So I've ran gingerbreak, and downloaded xionia. But astro says the .rar is empty, is it a currupt download or did I download the wrong version?

macmccune

Sep 7, 2011
Visit site
Update: so I downloaded es file explorer, and was able to see one file: xionia_cwma_12518.6.img
Or xionia_cwma_12518.img in another download. I don't see the flash file, and I couldn't see anything with astro. Is there another explorer I should use?

Edit: Got it. Seperate files lol

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
19escape20