Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

Default Re: [How-To] data2ext for Reborn, Froyo 2.2 and CM7

I have a few quick questions. I have successfully installed the data2ext. I would like to know if the apps I had installed prior to mod, is it sitting in my internal phone memory or the SD-EXT partition. Apps that I will install after this mod, will it install onto the SD-EXT partition automatically? How can I move all my current apps to the SD-EXT partition without having to reinstall it?

Global Posts
    1,480 Global Posts
    ROM
    AOSP!!!

Quote Originally Posted by BubbleHead87 View Post
    I have a few quick questions. I have successfully installed the data2ext. I would like to know if the apps I had installed prior to mod, is it sitting in my internal phone memory or the SD-EXT partition. Apps that I will install after this mod, will it install onto the SD-EXT partition automatically? How can I move all my current apps to the SD-EXT partition without having to reinstall it?
    That's a lot of questions and some of them contradict eachother. I will say this: if you installed it properly, data2ext will automatically install to your sd-ext. As for your old apps, it would be easy to find out because the filename will be on the /sd-ext partition of the sdcard. So, adb shell into your phone and 'cd /sdcard/sd-ext' and type 'ls'. It should show you the apps currently on the partition...

EDIT: After re-reading and understanding your questions more, they don't seem so confusing... or contradictory. At first read, it threw me off.
    Last edited by basketthis; 10-11-2011 at 05:51 PM.
    "Th- th- thinking of a master plan"
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #53  

ROM
    Stock Rooted, CM7.2

Quote Originally Posted by BubbleHead87 View Post
    That is part of the simplicity of the data2ext script. You don't have to move or install apps to the SD-EXT partition if it is working. The script configures your phone to use the SD-EXT partition as internal memory and puts the /data partition with all of your user apps there. The easiest way to tell that it is working is to go to Settings -> SD card & phone storage, look at the internal phone storage the available space should be 700-900 MB depending on how many apps are installed (assuming you made a 1GB partition). All current and future apps will be on the SD-EXT partition.

to: The_Maplebar,
    updated,rooted and custom recovery on My ZVH Optimus s and now have 1G internal men on my G-Rom but i had to use the modified.zip works great thanks
    Thanked by:
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #55  

ROM
    Stock Rooted, CM7.2

Updated first post to include gRom
    Last edited by the_maplebar; 10-17-2011 at 12:03 PM.
    Advisor

Just a quick note. This also works with reborn running XioniaRedux kernel by drew.

sent from my CM7/Reborn w/ 1 Gb internal storage Optimus S

Always happy to help, hit that thanks button if I did
    Current Device(s): Motorola Droid Razr
    Previous Device(s): LG Optimus S
    Always happy to help out, Just remember to hit that thanks button!
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #57  

ROM
    Stock Rooted, CM7.2

Quote Originally Posted by blackops1125 View Post
    Just a quick note. This also works with reborn running XioniaRedux kernel by drew.
    Do you still need to use the modified.zip if you're using XioniaRedux? Does the XioniaRedux kernel include all of the needed binaries that are part of the modified zip?
    Advisor

Quote Originally Posted by the_maplebar View Post
    Do you still need to use the modified.zip if you're using XioniaRedux? Does the XioniaRedux kernel include all of the needed binaries that are part of the modified zip?
    Yes you still need to use the modified zip. This is what I am running right now so its 100% confirmed working on my device.

Had I ? whats the dufference between darktremor an this?
  10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #60  

ROM
    Stock Rooted, CM7.2

Darktremors has many more commands and features built in to it. I haven't used Darktremors but here is what data2ext does:

Links the SD-EXT partition on your sd card to /data so everything under /data is on your sd card

Darktremors lets you move the apps (the bulk of what's on /data) to your SD-EXT partition. It also gives you a bunch of commands. Take a look at the darktremors development thread
    - Move applications (both free and paid) to the Secure Digital card.
    - Move Dalvik Cache to run either from your Secure Digital card or from your cache partition and clears the cache on demand.
    - Boot Loop Protection: prevents the phone from boot looping in the event the SD card could not be mounted.
    - Dalvik JIT for faster performance on Roms which support it.
    - User selectable sizes for the Dalvik heap sizes, allowing a user to freely optimize their system.
    - Activate a swap partition on your SD card and sets how often the swap partition is utilized.
    - Automatically fixes configuration issues.
    - Users can check the free space on their SD card and check the installation to make sure all is setup correctly.
    - Runs ZipAlign on demand...this makes your programs load faster.
    - Built in help system for easy reference of commands.
    - All features can also be reversed without repartitioning your Secure Digital card.
    - New logging features assists in troubleshooting issues.
    - Commands to set the Low Memory Killer feature at boot time. Great for those people who are the "set it and forget it" type.
    - And more...
    For me, I like the simplicity of data2ext. Once it's setup I don't mess with it. Also as sd cards have gotten faster there is no longer a performance penalty by moving commonly used files to the sd card.

I was switching from a 16GB card to a 32GB card, so I dismounted the 16GB card and, using MiniTool, copied the two partitions to the new 32GB card (1.24GB ext4 partition for Data2Ext and the rest as a FAT32 partition for the normal sdcard) Put the card in and rebooted, expecting everything to come back as if I had put the16GB back in and this did not happen. I think if I had been using LG Home instead of ADW as the launcher it might have. I restored ADW and only the system apps were there. After flashing data2ext again and enabling and restoring the apps from a backup I found that several were duplicated on the sdext partition which I deleted. Everything was working except Gmail. I tried a restore to no avail. Then flashed a gapps zip which probably was from CM7) so it got hung up on boot. I will need to do a dirty flash of Reborn and redo data2ext. Long story short, what are the fool-proof instructions for switching data2ext to a different card, either larger, same size, or smaller?

I've done a dirty flash of Reborn and put everything back as it was but when I go into recovery to flash the data2ext4_modified.zip it hangs up on the LG screen during reboot. I have restored a fresh nandroid and copied everything in the zip to the right place and changed the permissions but it still hangs on reboot. I had no trouble before. I'll download a fresh copy and try again. Does anyone have any ideas?
    Racer of Elevators

Global Posts
    1,139 Global Posts
    ROM
    Paranoid Android / CM7

Ok, when I upgraded my microSD card this last time, I had some foresight but not the guide to make this work. I partitioned my 16GB card into 2 partitions: one a 512MB ext4; one as 15.5GB FAT32. Everything has been working great up until now. I know this device got shorted on some internal memory, so I am hoping to implement this as a way to fix that. Not too sure how much I really need it, but my Settings menu says that I have just 69MB internal available now.

Quick questions:
    1. Will a partition of 512 MB do anything worthwhile if I use the one I already have? Is it too little or is 1GB just a hacker's delight figure for now?

2. Does this really complicate the process of ROM hopping?

3. For microSD card upgrades, has anyone successfully tried using GParted and Clonezilla to partition and copy old partitions to the new card using this method? I expect it to be slow, but seems like the right thing to do.

Thanks!

ROM
    kravens alpha15f CM9

Doesn't make hopping any tougher. It only requires flashing one more file in recovery each time.
    As far as 512 vs 1 gig, 1 gig is the "hackers delight". But, it sounds like you need that much...
    epidenimus likes this.
    Racer of Elevators

Global Posts
    1,139 Global Posts
    ROM
    Paranoid Android / CM7

Well, I went with the 512MB partition that I had. 365 MB available internal showing after the superlong first reboot following the move of dalvik cache. That's a heck of a lot better that 69MB's! Hopefully, it doesn't balloon up enough to make me regret not going for a whole gig.

The only other question I have is... If I wipe cache and/or dalvik cache via recovery, is it going to clean up the partition on the SD card? I'm guessing that the new mount points are not set when only recovery is running.

ROM
    kravens alpha15f CM9

That is a good one.I'd like to hear from someone a little more knowledgeable then me on that one...
    Advisor

Quote Originally Posted by epidenimus View Post
    Well, I went with the 512MB partition that I had. 365 MB available internal showing after the superlong first reboot following the move of dalvik cache. That's a heck of a lot better that 69MB's! Hopefully, it doesn't balloon up enough to make me regret not going for a whole gig.

The only other question I have is... If I wipe cache and/or dalvik cache via recovery, is it going to clean up the partition on the SD card? I'm guessing that the new mount points are not set when only recovery is running.
    No it will not do anything to the partition. I do all that cache wipes when ever I go to a different rom.

Racer of Elevators

Global Posts
    1,139 Global Posts
    ROM
    Paranoid Android / CM7

Quote Originally Posted by blackops1125 View Post
    No it will not do anything to the partition. I do all that cache wipes when ever I go to a different rom.
    Exactly. So if I switch ROMs, I will need to find a different way to clear these caches now, since recovery can no longer access them where they are located, right?
  19. Thread Author  Thread Author    #69  

ROM
    Stock Rooted, CM7.2

Exactly. So if I switch ROMs, I will need to find a different way to clear these caches now, since recovery can no longer access them where they are located, right?
    If you switch between nandroid backups it restores the SD-EXT partition from the backup. If you are flashing a new ROM I'm not sure if it clears the SD-EXT partition or not. You could format and create the file system on the SD-EXT partition. This would be fine if you are switching between different ROMs or wiping everything (system, data etc.) Now if you just want to wipe the cache in order to go from version 1.1 to 1.2 of the same ROM that is a good question....
    Racer of Elevators

Global Posts
    1,139 Global Posts
    ROM
    Paranoid Android / CM7

I suppose that I could just use a tool like GPartEd to format the partition again. I am not entirely sure that this method would not require repeating some of the steps in the guide.
    Advisor

I suppose that I could just use a tool like GPartEd to format the partition again. I am not entirely sure that this method would not require repeating some of the steps in the guide.
    You would have to reflash the data2ext zip and enable it again.

Thanked by:

ROM
    Your Mom

Ok, I had everything working great running CM7. I then flashed gRom the way it said to in the OP... Works great! But, now I want to make ext4 work in gRom.
    What I have done is started with the modified zip step. Flashed. ran the code. enabled. rebooted. stuck in boot animation. pull bat. stuck again. pull bat... booted up! Internal storage=123MB used/42MB Free?

Whats up? I want my 1Gig phone back...In adb I get, Enabled but not active...

ROM
    kravens alpha15f CM9

Rehash the zip in recovery?

Quote Originally Posted by WARWGN View Post
    Ok, I had everything working great running CM7. I then flashed gRom the way it said to in the OP... Works great! But, now I want to make ext4 work in gRom.
    What I have done is started with the modified zip step. Flashed. ran the code. enabled. rebooted. stuck in boot animation. pull bat. stuck again. pull bat... booted up! Internal storage=123MB used/42MB Free?

Whats up? I want my 1Gig phone back...In adb I get, Enabled but not active...
    Mine stuck in boot the 1st time also, but I rebooted back into recovery and cleared the caches rebooted and worked fine

Sent from my LS670 using Tapatalk

ROM
    kravens alpha15f CM9

Ok, so what if I want to make a 2 gb partition?
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast