[How-To] data2ext for Reborn, Froyo 2.2 and CM7

basketthis

Nov 22, 2010
Visit site
Great info. I see the dalvik2cache and app2sd scripts. Looks like it's using darktremor's app2sd so people can search for info on using that.

I see there is a darktremor's app2sdgui, do you know if the app2sd script including in opti-rom is compatible with the gui?

I am happy you like it. Don't search for info yet. I have put up a warning in my thread for the people interested. It's a very powerful script set and someone could really mess things up! I have already included (set in boot) what I know to be safe. Anything else is being tested. And still, only certain commands can be run after certain steps have been accomplished. So there is extreme caution that needs to be taken with this! I will be testing the GUI as well. Thanks for your interest.

Side note: most things are working, however using the proper commands will be important. Please just wait it out a little guys and i will have some instructions for you. :)
If you already have a formatted ext partition on your sdcard, it will be the easiest instructions. If you don't, you may be waiting a while as I don't plan to include instructions in the Rom thread about how to format an sdcard...

blackops1125

Advisor
Mar 19, 2011
Visit site
I am happy you like it. Don't search for info yet. I have put up a warning in my thread for the people interested. It's a very powerful script set and someone could really mess things up! I have already included (set in boot) what I know to be safe. Anything else is being tested. And still, only certain commands can be run after certain steps have been accomplished. So there is extreme caution that needs to be taken with this! I will be testing the GUI as well. Thanks for your interest.

Side note: most things are working, however using the proper commands will be important. Please just wait it out a little guys and i will have some instructions for you. :)
If you already have a formatted ext partition on your sdcard, it will be the easiest instructions. If you don't, you may be waiting a while as I don't plan to include instructions in the Rom thread about how to format an sdcard...
Thanks for the info. I will keep checking the Roms thread for updates. Really interested in this. As this is the only thing keeping me on ZVD. I just gotta have my 1Gb.

sent from my CM7/Reborn w/ 1 Gb internal storage Optimus S

Always happy to help, hit that thanks button if I did

basketthis

Nov 22, 2010
Visit site
Reactions: blackops1125

Sdude1200

Mar 19, 2011
Visit site
Opti-ROM now supports data2ext, apps2ext, dalvik2cache all natively. :) I will get updated instructions on how to properly move apps to the ext partition on the sd card asap. Please do not flash any files to try accomplish this. We no longer need to flash anything to do this as it's built in. It may mess something up pretty bad.
Also, all ext formats are supported as well. Thanks to drew's newest kernel!

Yeah I just read the update now! Thanks basket and drew! I love they work everyone does here!

Jessicalt1

Lover of all things Andi
May 17, 2010
Visit site
Out of curiousity, once you partition, can you go back? I partitioned my 4gb card, then upgraded to a new phone and formatted the card to sell with the phone. It said I only had 2.73gb available, I'm assuming due to the partitioning? I'd like to go back to "stock" so the buyer has the full 4gb available to them.

basketthis

Nov 22, 2010
Visit site
Out of curiousity, once you partition, can you go back? I partitioned my 4gb card, then upgraded to a new phone and formatted the card to sell with the phone. It said I only had 2.73gb available, I'm assuming due to the partitioning? I'd like to go back to "stock" so the buyer has the full 4gb available to them.

Select partition in recovery and choose 0mb and 0 swap and it will give you your full memory back.

Reactions: Jessicalt1

brad74

Mar 20, 2011
Visit site
ad74 07:14 PM Today
Originally Posted by the_maplebar:
Check the How-to in my signature. There
are some manual steps you need to do
to get dalvik-cache moved to the sd card.

This is to: the_maplebar:

Thanks for your reply. Ok. So it will
recover a significant amount of space for
me? I was just hesitant about trying the
manual steps bc I was worried about
screwing up(bricking) my phone if I
happen to enter a wrong command or
something. What about the link2sd app?
Does it work good? Just curious. Thanks in
advance.

the_maplebar

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
I haven't used link2sd so I can't really say. I believe link2sd lets you move the individual applications to the sd card. This means there would be more maintenance (having to move apps) but you could keep some commonly used apps on the internal memory.

If you are concerned about messing up the commands I suggest you try using ADB. That way you can copy and paste the commands from the post to the command prompt. Also I have not heard of anyone bricking their phone by dong this even if they screw up. It is possible that you could screw up the ROM, I did as I was figuring this out. All I had to do was dirty flash the ROM and everything was working again. Make a nandroid backup then you can easily go back to what you have right now before running any of the steps.

BubbleHead87

May 18, 2011
Visit site
I have a few quick questions. I have successfully installed the data2ext. I would like to know if the apps I had installed prior to mod, is it sitting in my internal phone memory or the SD-EXT partition. Apps that I will install after this mod, will it install onto the SD-EXT partition automatically? How can I move all my current apps to the SD-EXT partition without having to reinstall it?

basketthis

Nov 22, 2010
Visit site
I have a few quick questions. I have successfully installed the data2ext. I would like to know if the apps I had installed prior to mod, is it sitting in my internal phone memory or the SD-EXT partition. Apps that I will install after this mod, will it install onto the SD-EXT partition automatically? How can I move all my current apps to the SD-EXT partition without having to reinstall it?

That's a lot of questions and some of them contradict eachother. I will say this: if you installed it properly, data2ext will automatically install to your sd-ext. As for your old apps, it would be easy to find out because the filename will be on the /sd-ext partition of the sdcard. So, adb shell into your phone and 'cd /sdcard/sd-ext' and type 'ls'. It should show you the apps currently on the partition... :D

EDIT: After re-reading and understanding your questions more, they don't seem so confusing... or contradictory. At first read, it threw me off.

Last edited:

the_maplebar

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site

That is part of the simplicity of the data2ext script. You don't have to move or install apps to the SD-EXT partition if it is working. The script configures your phone to use the SD-EXT partition as internal memory and puts the /data partition with all of your user apps there. The easiest way to tell that it is working is to go to Settings -> SD card & phone storage, look at the internal phone storage the available space should be 700-900 MB depending on how many apps are installed (assuming you made a 1GB partition). All current and future apps will be on the SD-EXT partition.

blackops1125

Advisor
Mar 19, 2011
Visit site
Just a quick note. This also works with reborn running XioniaRedux kernel by drew.

blackops1125

Advisor
Mar 19, 2011
Visit site
Do you still need to use the modified.zip if you're using XioniaRedux? Does the XioniaRedux kernel include all of the needed binaries that are part of the modified zip?
Yes you still need to use the modified zip. This is what I am running right now so its 100% confirmed working on my device.

the_maplebar

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
Darktremors has many more commands and features built in to it. I haven't used Darktremors but here is what data2ext does:

Links the SD-EXT partition on your sd card to /data so everything under /data is on your sd card

Darktremors lets you move the apps (the bulk of what's on /data) to your SD-EXT partition. It also gives you a bunch of commands. Take a look at the darktremors development thread
- Move applications (both free and paid) to the Secure Digital card.
- Move Dalvik Cache to run either from your Secure Digital card or from your cache partition and clears the cache on demand.
- Boot Loop Protection: prevents the phone from boot looping in the event the SD card could not be mounted.
- Dalvik JIT for faster performance on Roms which support it.
- User selectable sizes for the Dalvik heap sizes, allowing a user to freely optimize their system.
- Activate a swap partition on your SD card and sets how often the swap partition is utilized.
- Automatically fixes configuration issues.
- Users can check the free space on their SD card and check the installation to make sure all is setup correctly.
- Runs ZipAlign on demand...this makes your programs load faster.
- Built in help system for easy reference of commands.
- All features can also be reversed without repartitioning your Secure Digital card.
- New logging features assists in troubleshooting issues.
- Commands to set the Low Memory Killer feature at boot time. Great for those people who are the "set it and forget it" type.
- And more...

For me, I like the simplicity of data2ext. Once it's setup I don't mess with it. Also as sd cards have gotten faster there is no longer a performance penalty by moving commonly used files to the sd card.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m1000