[How-To] Manual Rooting of LS670ZVH/ZVJ (+ links to root ZVD/ZV9)

Amber.scheel

Sep 16, 2011
Visit site
Re: [How-To] Rooting LS670ZVH

Thanks sfhub. I already have Titanium on the phone too. I was rooted under my ZVD but my phone was accidentally updated to ZVH and so I lost my root. Was afraid that if I rolled back to ZVD that I would lose my app data. You have no idea how much I appreciate the clarification. :)

jefboyardee

Jan 2, 2011
Visit site

Certain that I?d miss or botch a step, I?ll just wait until There?s an App for That... click here to root, click there to unroot.

abwilcox

Jun 15, 2011
Visit site

Thanks for the suggestion. Tried that, still not working. It may be some other problem. All I know is that it (Tripit) was working perfectly in Froyo, and is not able to update in Gingerbread. I assumed it was a time issue from searching for similar problems.

Still worth it, though, since Gingerbread in every other way works so much smoother ...

blackops1125

Advisor
Mar 19, 2011
Visit site
OK I just upgraded to ZVH & Installed Opti-rom.
Now my question is in adb shell & terminal emulator instead of just a # showing it shows sh-3#. Why is that?

Sent from my LS670 using Tapatalk

sfhub

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site

any ideas how to get it back to just a #
here is a pic showing what I mean.
Assuming you've typed what was listed above and it worked, then you understand/confirmed how the prompt is being set. Your job then is to figure out where it is being set. It is probably in one of the init scripts somewhere, possibly in the boot image or maybe just in /system/...

I don't have an Optimus anymore so can't really tell you exactly where it is as there are multiple places it could have been inserted.

I'm sure it is harmless though, as it is just a prompt.

basketthis

Nov 22, 2010
Visit site

I think it has to do with the updated bash shell that I included in the Rom. Sfhub is right. It is harmless. It happens on my phone too. It's nothing to worry about...

hawks4ever8

Oct 5, 2011
Visit site

when i tryed to revert to zvd i got a message saying E: failed to verify whole-file signature then it says below that E: signature verification failed installation aborted... i put the update folder just by its self on the sd card... also it says you are sapose to wipe/data in your steps so is this required cuz wont this whipe the backup of all my apps...

hlxanthus

May 22, 2011
Visit site

the signature verification error is due to being on a custom recovery. flash a stock recovery as the instructions say. Read thru the guide again, make sure to follow all steps. :D

Va1ha11a

Troll Headhunter
Jun 4, 2011
Visit site

can someone explain to me why, if I have zvh, than I have to downgrade and re-upgrade and than root? :confused:
I wasn't rooted before update and had stock recovery

basketthis

Nov 22, 2010
Visit site

can someone explain to me why, if I have zvh, than I have to downgrade and re-upgrade and than root? :confused:
I wasn't rooted before update and had stock recovery

Are you asking for the reasoning behind it or verifying that the steps you need to take are being read correctly? Just to clarify, you do need to revert to ZVD, root that, then proceed with the steps listed. It's the same process that everyone must take. The reason is that ZVH isn't able to be rooted by itself and we must do a workaround of sorts to get it to work. The workaround is all the steps on the front page. I hope that clarifies for you! :)

sfhub

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site

I don't have an Optimus to test this type of stuff out anymore.

Working things out in my head, if someone has Xionia Recovery with stock unrooted ZVH through the update.zip (let's say because they forced the ZVH update.zip to run by turning off signature verification), then they should be able to flash the ZVD update.zip using Xionia with signature verification turned off, then run gingerbreak to root it, then follow the ZVH rooting instructions. In this scenario data won't work because you have the ZVH radio with the ZVD rom, but we don't really care since we just put ZVD on there to root it, not to get data working.

Can someone verify this for me? What this does is save someoen the step of putting stock recovery on before running the ZVD update.zip.

Last edited:

hawks4ever8

Oct 5, 2011
Visit site

every time i try the flash vh recovery on the command prompt when i get to the step where the $ sign it it works then when i type "su" it says access denied... i dont know what to do.

Va1ha11a

Troll Headhunter
Jun 4, 2011
Visit site

@basketthis
I was wondering why I could not simply run gingerbreak/gingersnap and root zvh. That roots 2.3, so what's the issue? Why do I need to downgrade? And anyway, wouldn't updating a rooted phone mess things up?
@sfhub
That doesn't relate to me because I am TOTALLY stock (no fun mods whatsoever) and was wondering what I could do without downgrading (sounds like a major pain).

sfhub

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site

I was wondering why I could not simply run gingerbreak/gingersnap and root zvh. That roots 2.3, so what's the issue?
The issue is 2.3 is immune to the gingerbreak exploit and gingersnap is based on the gingerbreak exploit so is similarly neutered.

And anyway, wouldn't updating a rooted phone mess things up?
No it wouldn't, at least following these directions, it wouldn't.

That doesn't relate to me because I am TOTALLY stock (no fun mods whatsoever) and was wondering what I could do without downgrading (sounds like a major pain).
It completely relates to you. If you had been rooted prior to installing the ZVH update, you would have been able to follow the ZVH rooting directions without reverting your OS. Now that you have installed the ZVH update without using the rooting instructions, whether you had root before or not is irrelevant, because you've lost root (or never had it).

Reverting to ZVD is now no more of a pain than updating to ZVH and you seem to be ok with running Gingerbreak, so that part would be unchanged from your current expectations.

Last edited:

sfhub

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site

every time i try the flash vh recovery on the command prompt when i get to the step where the $ sign it it works then when i type "su" it says access denied... i dont know what to do.
You must be rooted with your current version before you can follow these directions.

If you type "su" and it says access denied, something has gone wrong with root on your current version or you never had root.

Fix that problem and you can continue.

Sep 24, 2011
Visit site

I was wondering if anyone had any insight as to whether there could eventually be a direct root method for ZVH. Does anyone have any thoughts? Does it appear it's highly unlikely anyone will put the effort into figuring out a direct root, or is it just a matter of time? Is anyone currently working on it?

I realize reverting to ZVD and doing this ZVH update isn't all that difficult, but I just don't feel like it if there's a good chance there will be a direct root method in the not-so-distant future :-D.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dawncompton