[How-To] Manual Rooting of LS670ZVH/ZVJ (+ links to root ZVD/ZV9)

epidenimus

Racer of Elevators
Apr 13, 2011
Visit site
Re: [How-To] Manual Rooting of LS670ZVH/ZVJ (+ links to root ZVD/

Actually, I'd like to run the stock rom for now. Looks like the automatic rooting method does use the ZVJ recovery. Would that be recommended in this case? (I'll have to find a PC, I think...)
I'd highly recommend you learn to do things the manual way first. That way, you'll know what was done and how to fix it, should it become necessary.

Feel free to run stock for a while, if you like, but if you are rooting, you should consider going for the custom recovery at the same time. Recovery is not much more than a separate boot option that allows you to work on Android before it is mounted. They also allow you to do the all important nandroid backup image, to which you can restore if you muck anything up. Many folks root in order to remove bloat and end up removing something that the system needs. A custom recovery gives you a solve-all recourse in nandroid backups.

Reactions: shmooperdooper
Dec 20, 2010
Visit site

Everything seemed to work great!

...Except now my phone isn't registering the USB connection to my computer? In Setings > Wireless & Network Settings I don't see USB settings, either. Any ideas?

Dec 20, 2010
Visit site

Everything seemed to work great!

...Except now my phone isn't registering the USB connection to my computer? In Setings > Wireless & Network Settings I don't see USB settings, either. Any ideas?

Nevermind! Rebooted my Mac and all is back to normal. Phew!

Thanks again for all the help. I'm pretty pumped to have my first nandroid backup as well. :)

epidenimus

Racer of Elevators
Apr 13, 2011
Visit site

Nevermind! Rebooted my Mac and all is back to normal. Phew!

Thanks again for all the help. I'm pretty pumped to have my first nandroid backup as well. :)
Now that the panic is over: Welcome to the dark side! Dark Sayyeed! :D Feel free to have a look around and help yourself to the cookies.

PatrickAkridge

"The Button Pusher"
Sep 23, 2011
Visit site

It doesn't work. I have done it before, but I have TRIED EVERY single rooting process for ZVH AND ZVJ and I can't get it to work.

I was having trouble with custom ROMs, dropping calls, etc. I reverted to STOCK ZVD and everything was fine. I then used GingerBreak to ROOT ZVD. 10 to 15 minutes later, I got an Update System Notification for ZVJ. I updated to ZVJ. I tried every single rooting process to try to root ZVJ again, but all fail. This one failed. It keeps saying "Permission denied" on everything...

I thought wiping data would help, so I wiped data and it still isn't working..

Any Suggestions?

I will try to calm down my frustration and try this in a minute or two (Man VS Phone... MAN WILL Win) :D

Last edited:

PatrickAkridge

"The Button Pusher"
Sep 23, 2011
Visit site

It doesn't work. I have done it before, but I have TRIED EVERY single rooting process for ZVH AND ZVJ and I can't get it to work.

I was having trouble with custom ROMs, dropping calls, etc. I reverted to STOCK ZVD and everything was fine. I then used GingerBreak to ROOT ZVD. 10 to 15 minutes later, I got an Update System Notification for ZVJ. I updated to ZVJ. I tried every single rooting process to try to root ZVJ again, but all fail. This one failed. It keeps saying "Permission denied" on everything...

I thought wiping data would help, so I wiped data and it still isn't working..

Any Suggestions?

I will try to calm down my frustration and try this in a minute or two (Man VS Phone... MAN WILL Win)
biggrin.png

Buddlespit

Wannabe kewl
Jan 27, 2011
Visit site

ok, let me try this in a different direction. You have to be on zvd and rooted before you can run the automated zvj rooting, which will also install zvj and root it for you. If you update to zvj using an update.zip or ota, it will break your root.

PatrickAkridge

"The Button Pusher"
Sep 23, 2011
Visit site

ok, let me try this in a different direction. You have to be on zvd and rooted before you can run the automated zvj rooting, which will also install zvj and root it for you. If you update to zvj using an update.zip or ota, it will break your root.

So you're saying to (while in Android) revert to ZVD, THEN run the auto update to zvj and auto root?

What don't I get?:

I did use OTA, but I used update.zip last time I did this and I had no prob with using sfhub's thread for rooting ZVH (no revert needed) and it worked. It was even confirmed to work with ZVJ..

My Question Is?:

Why won't the above method work with using an OTA Upgrade to update to ZVJ.. even when I had ZVD Rooted? Yes... I knew OTA would break root, as I did for the last time I did it with the ZVJ update.zip the day it came out.. They both broke root, they both are root-able. If I use the same guide, just with a different flashing/update method, and if I updated FROM ZVD with root attained using GingerBreak to ZVJ, Why won't it work now? The links are working, I wiped data, I rebooted into recovery like it said. Why isn't it working.

Now:

I see what you are saying, that I MUST have rooted ZVD OR ZVH to get rooted ZVJ using the auto root, but I used the Manual Rooting guide for ZVH (no revert/wipe needed) by sfhub last time and it worked... and that if I use the OTA OR Update.zip for ZVJ that it WILL break my root, even if I do it 54116585624165841 years from now. If I used the above method and process (listed above this heading), again, why won't it work now?

If I am being a jerk, I sincerely apologize. I do not mean to come across like that... I am only frustrated and confused...

Thanks for the quick response and your immediate help. I appreciate it.

Thanks.

rocko_opt_s

Sep 23, 2011
Visit site

System: Ls670MVH-6150
Ls670ZVH
Rooted 2.3.3
Xionia recovery
2.6.35.7 Ginger kernal ver.8.1
Grom 2.0

Problem: After a short time of inactivity, my phone stops receiving all calls, texts, and email. I've recently udated the kernal to v08.1 and grom to 2.0. Both changes had no effect.

Question: 1. If I update to ZVJ, will it fix?
2.Can this be done using xionia and without a computer?
3. Will I loose root?
4. If I must use a pc and re-root, as I do suspect, will it be more proficient to do it manualy becouse I've upgraded to ZVH manualy?

This problem is particularly anoying, but I'm not in a big hury becouse I think I know what I need to do. I just want a conformation.

Thanx,

epidenimus

Racer of Elevators
Apr 13, 2011
Visit site

System: Ls670MVH-6150
Ls670ZVH
Rooted 2.3.3
Xionia recovery
2.6.35.7 Ginger kernal ver.8.1
Grom 2.0

Problem: After a short time of inactivity, my phone stops receiving all calls, texts, and email. I've recently udated the kernal to v08.1 and grom to 2.0. Both changes had no effect.

Question: 1. If I update to ZVJ, will it fix?
2.Can this be done using xionia and without a computer?
3. Will I loose root?
4. If I must use a pc and re-root, as I do suspect, will it be more proficient to do it manualy becouse I've upgraded to ZVH manualy?

This problem is particularly anoying, but I'm not in a big hury becouse I think I know what I need to do. I just want a conformation.

Thanx,
ZVH is so last year. Take your pick of ZVD or ZVJ if you want to have a working device. Different methods apply to getting each, respectively. You will need a computer to hack your phone, yes.

twobit

Dec 28, 2010
Visit site

This manual method of rooting is not working for me... Had ZVD rooted, ran the procedure in post #1, the update.zip that comes with the ZVHroot.zip doesnt error, it just completes doesnt give me the chance to run the next part as root.

twobit

Dec 28, 2010
Visit site

read the post above yours.

I am updated to ZVJ, the "Download the ZVH/ZVJ root package [zvhroot.zip]" is the same file with the same update file for both. and the update.zip is ran in recovery it does not error out as expected above. i have been threw the steps several times. and i am not new here. it seems this exploit has stopped working.

blackops1125

Advisor
Mar 19, 2011
Visit site
I am updated to ZVJ, the "Download the ZVH/ZVJ root package [zvhroot.zip]" is the same file with the same update file for both. and the update.zip is ran in recovery it does not error out as expected above. i have been threw the steps several times. and i am not new here. it seems this exploit has stopped working.

Why don't you use the automated root way.

Sent from my LS670 using Android Central Forums

twobit

Dec 28, 2010
Visit site

no followed the steps never installed a custom recovery, Linux user.. have to get to a windows comp to use the automated stuff.