Can I install the OTA GingerBread update without bricking?

WizLateefUh

Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
I searched the forums and could not find a answer to my question:

Can I install the OTA Gingerbread update without bricking my phone, even though I have Xionia's custom recovery installed? Since I have rooted using gingerbreak and unrooted today because I thought being rooted and accepting the OTA update will auto brick my phone, I checked if I have the custom recovery still installed (which I do) so I want to know if I'll have any problems if I accept the OTA update.

Things to know about my phone:
1. I still have the stock ROM for the phone, it hasn't been modified
2. I rooted using gingerbreak, and used gingerbreak on my phone to unroot (it was a simply click on my phone then superuser was uninstalled)
3. Xionia's custom recovery is still on my phone.

Note: I haven't gotten the update but I just want to make sure when I do I can update and expect not bricking my phone.

blackops1125

Advisor
Mar 19, 2011
Visit site
I searched the forums and could not find a answer to my question:

Can I install the OTA Gingerbread update without bricking my phone, even though I have Xionia's custom recovery installed? Since I have rooted using gingerbreak and unrooted today because I thought being rooted and accepting the OTA update will auto brick my phone, I checked if I have the custom recovery still installed (which I do) so I want to know if I'll have any problems if I accept the OTA update.

Things to know about my phone:
1. I still have the stock ROM for the phone, it hasn't been modified
2. I rooted using gingerbreak, and used gingerbreak on my phone to unroot (it was a simply click on my phone then superuser was uninstalled)
3. Xionia's custom recovery is still on my phone.

Note: I haven't gotten the update but I just want to make sure when I do I can update and expect not bricking my phone.

If you still have the custom recovery DO NOT accept the OTA update! It's not the rooting or roms that don't get along with OTA updates, IT's the Custom Recovery! If you want the OTA you have to Revert back to the STOCK Recovery!
http://forums.androidcentral.com/lg...ing-ota-ls670vc-vd-using-kp500-diag-mode.html
Or you can update to ZVH this way: (you must be rooted in ZVD first, Re-root using ginerbreak)
http://forums.androidcentral.com/lg-optimus-s-rooting-roms-hacks/119130-how-rooting-ls670zvh.html

MagicFan1

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
I agree, reverting to ZV9 is not needed. I learned the hard way. I had zvc stock, so I went back to zv9 then rooted zv9. Then updated to ZVH (using the file provided on this board), rooted ZVH, added custom recovery, then added gingerkernel.

ikeywatson

May 1, 2011
Visit site
sorry for this noob ? .if im reading this post right ,cant i just reflash vd stock recovery manually while im running the reborn rom,then flashing the update zip in stock recovery

sfhub

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
sorry for this noob ? .if im reading this post right ,cant i just reflash vd stock recovery manually while im running the reborn rom,then flashing the update zip in stock recovery
You can, as long as you don't care about rooting ZVH/GingerBread.

If you care, follow the instructions posted.

Reactions: c4manceph

c4manceph

May 20, 2010
Visit site
Thanks sfhub for clearing that up. I have been looking into this for a couple of days now and was trying to figure out why I couldn't just flash the stock recovery and then accept the OTA.

I'm not sure if I want GB on my phone yet, but I do know that I don't want an unrooted version of GB.

Thanks again for setting me straight.

liamstanley

Apr 22, 2011
Visit site
same here im, but im faced with a new lcd hardware. they have alreadty rooted GB. But idk if i want to go to that rom. although i want to check it out. i mean if i really wanted to, i could just get drews version of cm7. I really like cm7 but im still having problems with contacts getting erased and keyboard reseting everytime i boot. also it takes forever if you have all your apps on your sd card at boot to recognize them. :( with all underlying problems i still think that it is a good rom. but for now i think im staying with the amazing RebornRom. Thank You!!! :D

liamstanley

Apr 22, 2011
Visit site
i am currently on the same one as you, CM 7.1.0.2 and same kernel. idk i had the same problem with zefies port too. it is very frustrating, cunsidering i also have random force closes. i tried stable and experimental, both were put on like on 8/8 and 8/9. your not having those problems? are you having any problems?

graphic1982

Jul 27, 2011
Visit site
i am currently on the same one as you, CM 7.1.0.2 and same kernel. idk i had the same problem with zefies port too. it is very frustrating, cunsidering i also have random force closes. i tried stable and experimental, both were put on like on 8/8 and 8/9. your not having those problems? are you having any problems?

no problems at all. I absolutely love this ROM and what it allows me to do with customization. I've even modded my SystemUI.apk to use different status bar mods and it never gave me one problem. I guess your phone just doesn't like CM7 :(

blackops1125

Advisor
Mar 19, 2011
Visit site
I have to agree Drew's CM7 has to be one of the best one's out! Everything works including Bluetooth, which most of the other CM7's it does not.
Then throw his kernel and in my opinion it's unbeatable.

sent from my CM7/Reborn w/ 1 Gb internal storage Optimus S

Always happy to help, hit that thanks button if I did

twigge

Feb 28, 2011
Visit site
For some reason it was my understanding that if we had either Xionia or ThunderC recoveries on our phones they would not allow an OTA update.zip to install to avoid a brick. I could be wrong, please correct me if I am.

**Edit**

Found it in the Clockwork Recovery thread...

Safety check - will not flash LG OTA zips and brick you (DO NOT DISABLE SIGNATURE VERIFICATION)

So I guess I am wrong. It will install the OTA if you Disable Sig Verification...

WizLateefUh

Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
Thanks alot for clarifying, I'm trying to use the second method you linked

EDIT: Just followed the instructions on the second link you posted, I guess I just flashed the V9 stock custom recovery, and to verify is I flashed the stock recovery, I did the button combo to go to recovery and it looked like this: http://forums.androidcentral.com/at...ls670zvh-temporary-instructions-recovery1.jpg

It looks different from Xionia's recovery so I guess I did it right?

Last edited:

sfhub

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Thanks alot for clarifying, I'm trying to use the second method you linked

EDIT: Just followed the instructions on the second link you posted, I guess I just flashed the V9 stock custom recovery, and to verify is I flashed the stock recovery, I did the button combo to go to recovery and it looked like this: http://forums.androidcentral.com/at...ls670zvh-temporary-instructions-recovery1.jpg

It looks different from Xionia's recovery so I guess I did it right?
Yes, that is the stock recovery. If you got it from the ZVH thread and used install-v9.sh then it is the V9 stock recovery.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nikoczzzz