Keeping Xionia Recov and stock ZVD??

jonathanm1978

Super-elite full-time dad
Jan 20, 2011
Visit site
Is it possible to run stock VD with Xionia? I don't want to be bothered with my sister's phone all the time on custom rom, she complains about every minor FC it may enounter...so i'd just prefer going back stock with her, but keeping her on Xionia if possible -- I'm on VH right now, so I have to KP500 diag anyway, but wondering before I do all of that what I should do when I'm done, and if I'll get the update nag.

outlaw07

Sep 8, 2011
Visit site
Are you talking about the recovery or kernal. If it's the recovery yes you can keep the stock rom if it's the kernal it might cause some problems on the stock rom. The other question if your on the vh are you rooted or not

jonathanm1978

Jan 20, 2011
Visit site
I've already gone back to VD now, with kp500..and stock recovery.

Now, can I run Xionia recovery...with a VD rom that is pretty stable and doesn't have much (bells/whistles)..and won't cause random reboots...?

Or run stock VD with Xionia without getting the VH update nag? I'm already seeing the nag and I haven't bee kp500 back to VD for 10 minutes..it's going to try and force me back to 2.3.3..

the_maplebar

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
Xionia Recovery w/ Stock Rom - Yes no problem
Xionia Kernel w/Stock Rom - Might cause issues

Check the Xionia Kernel thread, the older versions of Xionia Kernel should be fine. At some point in the last few releases it was optimized for IHO and CM7.

If I wanted to give this phone to my sister and not be bothered with questions I would put Reborn 2.2.4 on it. This Rom is rock solid, better than stock. The only problems you might have is if you take an OTA update, or do a factory reset from the settings menu. You can prevent the OTA update from showing up by doing a battery pull.

NOTE: if you put Xionia Recovery w/Stock Rom you still run into problems if your sister accepts an OTA update or does a factory reset. It's the custom recovery that causes the problem.

the_maplebar

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
Or run stock VD with Xionia without getting the VH update nag? I'm already seeing the nag and I haven't bee kp500 back to VD for 10 minutes..it's going to try and force me back to 2.3.3..

When you get the OTA nag select "More Info" then pull the battery. It will keep the nag away until you flash a new rom or "Check for updates" in the settings menu.

sfhub

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Is it possible to run stock VD with Xionia?
The latest version of Xionia (same as on ZVH root thread) would be compatible with all aspects of VD except flashing the any ROM updates from Sprint (including ZVH)

You can reset from anywhere and it works fine.

Recovery will not directly affect stability of VD as it isn't even running unless you boot into Recovery. I say "directly" because you could use Recovery to run updates or add/remove/modify files that could affect the stability, but in those cases you are actively making a change.

sfhub

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
What if I do update.zip from Xionia to the VH? Woudl that work OK?
I don't believe it'll even install and if it does, it won't flash the ZVH radio, in which case the ROM won't be able to connect to data and might have trouble with phone to.

If you are going to flash the ZVH update.zip, do it using stock recovery or you are just asking for trouble.

jonathanm1978

Jan 20, 2011
Visit site
For some oddball reason, this refurb'd Asurion is having major issues with stock Android and the 2.3.3 update (constant reboot, hang, FC of random things...)......and then after revert to VD, having issues with constant hang, FC of random things, and reboots.

What would they have done differently with a refurb'd phone?
This phone came with VH already on it, which I thought was a little odd..but it didn't work right out of the box. My wife's is her original we bought back in February..and hers had some issues with 2.3.3, but after going force to VD and custom Rom to CM7...it's fine..no reboot or nothing.

But Cm7 forced VD on the refurb...and oh man.

jonathanm1978

Jan 20, 2011
Visit site
As of right now, the refurb is running Xionia with Reborn. Still has issues and FC's after doing several wipes of everything, and clean installs. Even tried a dirty install of Reborn over a clean install of Reborn...made it worse. What's with the refurbs? something different in them?