How to disable OTA update notification?

donnasess

Apr 18, 2011
Visit site
I have a rooted ZVD and keep getting the upgrade notification. I press the return key or tap upgrade later to ignore it but I'm afraid I might accidentally tap the install now link. Is there a way to disable the upgrade notification?

Also, my husband accidentally downloaded the upgrade on his rooted phone. Did that revert it back to stock (he wanted it reverted anyway) or is there something else I need to do to take it back stock?

Thx

im_electronic

Dec 2, 2010
Visit site
If his was just rooted before he's back to stock.

For you there was a trick to disable the notification a while back. A quick search will bring that up.

sfhub

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
I have a rooted ZVD and keep getting the upgrade notification. I press the return key or tap upgrade later to ignore it but I'm afraid I might accidentally tap the install now link. Is there a way to disable the upgrade notification?

Also, my husband accidentally downloaded the upgrade on his rooted phone. Did that revert it back to stock (he wanted it reverted anyway) or is there something else I need to do to take it back stock?

Thx
To stop the notification, press "More Info" and pull your battery. Some people need to do this more than once, but for others it works on first try.

If your husband downloaded *and* the upgrade installed, then it would have taken away root. It is not guaranteed that downloading the upgrade automatically led to install because there are other factors.

You can see what version he has in menu->settings->about phone.

Reactions: donnasess

donnasess

Apr 18, 2011
Visit site
If your husband downloaded *and* the upgrade installed, then it would have taken away root. It is not guaranteed that downloading the upgrade automatically led to install because there are other factors.

You can see what version he has in menu->settings->about phone.

I checked and he still has ZVD. I tried checking for firmware update but it kept timing out - "XPT open socket timeout (22). Please try again later". Could you please suggest a next step? He prefers to return to stock. The reboot on QuickBoot works as well as Titanium Backup. So, I guess it's still rooted.

sfhub

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
I checked and he still has ZVD. I tried checking for firmware update but it kept timing out - "XPT open socket timeout (22). Please try again later". Could you please suggest a next step? He prefers to return to stock. The reboot on QuickBoot works as well as Titanium Backup. So, I guess it's still rooted.
I wouldn't check for firmware update. It can only lead to no good.
I wouldn't install the ZVH update, it will just lead to more headaches in your situation.

Are you using a custom ROM? Is that why you are saying you want to return to stock?

donnasess

Apr 18, 2011
Visit site
I used whatever downloads drewwalton19216801 posted in his Rooting ZVD w/Gingerbreak thread. My husband just thinks his phone worked better, less hanging/burps/hiccups, when it was stock. He's not as geeky as I am when it comes to tech toys. :)

Oh, and pulling the battery after hitting more info seems to be working so far w/disabling the update notification. Thank you!!!!!

lbgaus

Dec 15, 2011
Visit site
I used Titanium Backup to backup and then uninstall the "Device management 3.0" application. After that, no notifications and phone works fine.

Hope this helps.

lunchBB

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
I rooted my Tmo Galaxy S2. Read about the OTA will unroot the phone. I also use Titianium Backup to uninstall "Device Management 3.0". The OTA notification is gone (it was really annoying before popping up every few hours).

However, I tried to install it back through Titanium. It won't install anymore. I guess I won't be getting any more OTA updates. I think I'm okay with that. I need the tethering feature.

superduty1985

May 11, 2012
Visit site
I see you say to stop system update click on more info then pull battery . I don't see where it says more info
I have a gs2 skyrocket rooted on 2.3.5 n I think 2.3.6 is trying to come in for 2 days n I keep just hitting the home button to get out of it. Please help
Thanks

tahx

Jun 10, 2012
Visit site
To stop the notification, press "More Info" and pull your battery.

This is a winner (on the first pull) so far on my Epic 4G. How novel.

Note to others: the notification window should have three buttons - from left to right - install now, install later, more info. Press 'more info', and it goes to a page that has an install button on the bottom. Don't press it. Yank your battery, and count to thirty. Put it back in and power on your phone. Should be good to go.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
andrewsmith