1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Memory taken up by uninstalled/failed apps...

I have a question for my LG Optimus S and no this isn't related to the gingerbread update, but it happened before that and sadly wasn't fixed by the update. This might even be a general android os issue.

I am looking for an un-rooted option if possible because i don't want to maintain all my family/friends phones!

My issue is that I'm out of memory for apps. I had over 30 mb free and then i tried to install "netflix" but it failed but the memory was never freed up, took me down to like 12 mb. All apps that can be moved to SD card have been so this is only in regards to internal phone memory.

I restarted my phone multiple times, cleared all the caches, and even downloaded "maid" programs to clean up ghost apps but even some of those apps left a few mb's taken when i uninstalled them.

I've deleted a ton of apps but i'm still barely back above 22 mb. My question, is there a way to free up some of that temp or ghost memory? I'm almost getting ready to do a factory reset and start over.

Thanks for your time and help.
  2. Thread Author  Thread Author    #2  

Default Re: Memory taken up by uninstalled/failed apps...

I've done searches on different sites for weeks and have never found an answer, if I missed it please direct me. thanks.

ROM
    Rooted Jellybean, CM 7.2

Have you and/or any of your family sync'ed the phone to Facebook?

Thats one of the biggest memory killers out there.

Don't ever choose the option to sync to facebook.

If you're not wanting to root - your best option may be to factory reset and start fresh.
    Soylent Green Is People!
    Sprint - Samsung Galaxy S3 --- Rooted, Tweaked, & Obfuscated
    Jellybomb Domination 20.7.0 with all bloat removed - Philz Touch Recovery 6.0
    KToons 11/4/13 TW Kernel -- MK3 Modem/Radio -- PRL 25016

See if there is stuff leftover in /data/local/tmp
    [How-To] Rooting LS670ZVH
    Installed ZVH by mistake? Use simple update.zip to revert to ZVD / Froyo
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Quote Originally Posted by DoesItMatter View Post
    Have you and/or any of your family sync'ed the phone to Facebook?

Thats one of the biggest memory killers out there.

Don't ever choose the option to sync to facebook.

If you're not wanting to root - your best option may be to factory reset and start fresh.
    i learned that one a long time ago. No this seems to do with memory still being used after a failed install or program was uninstalled.
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

Quote Originally Posted by sfhub View Post
    See if there is stuff leftover in /data/local/tmp
    Is that possible without rooting? if so how?
    Lover of all things Andi

Global Posts
    461 Global Posts
    ROM
    MikRunny v1.01

You would need a file explorer app, like Astro or something similar.
    Just another crazy Andi lover
    Have you been helped? "Thank" the person who helped you!! Don't be stingy!
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

I have ASTRO and haven't been able to find anywhere where i can delete a temp memory,
    I added up the "used" memory in the settings and it says i'm using over 155 MB but when i calculate it all out i'm using less than 80 MB.
    I'm not rooted and so I am not using ApptoSD (other than what's in the market). I'm would love to have the other half of my memory for apps.
    Any ideas?
    Racer of Elevators

ROM
    Paranoid Android / CM7

Quote Originally Posted by devores View Post
    I have ASTRO and haven't been able to find anywhere where i can delete a temp memory,
    I added up the "used" memory in the settings and it says i'm using over 155 MB but when i calculate it all out i'm using less than 80 MB.
    I'm not rooted and so I am not using ApptoSD (other than what's in the market). I'm would love to have the other half of my memory for apps.
    Any ideas?
    You might try clearing out the caches for some of your apps. The browser alone can take up several MB's.

Also, most custom ROMs have a cache mod that gives you an additional 50MB and removing the carrier bloatware would also free up some space.

I have the same problem on HTC Desire 2.2. The Netflix installation failed (file error even though the app is supposedly supported for android 2.2) and I lost at least 12 MB of internal phone storage. I have tried everything and I'm quite good at this stuff. It is not in any known cache or folder that I can find. Had this happen once before as well. I am afraid to try another install of the app...
    o_O

ROM
    OV KitKat-JBC, 3.0 kernel

I would guess a factory reset is your best bet.
    You can use something like titanium backup to backup your settings and reinstall your apps from market afterwards... slow, but like a clean M$Win install, it removes so much built-up system-made junk that you can't get at without bypassing the normal safeguards against user error (which is the only valid excuse I can think of for having thing unrooted anyway. Unless it's a company-supplied or borrowed device, once you own the hardware you should be entitled to do anything you want with it as long as you don't mess with your service provider's functional limits.)
    keep the wife happy with my dev time:
    donate!
    the THANKS button is quite acceptable if you're as stingy as me, too.